which firewall do you use

striker

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm behind a router with NAT built in, using DSL; On the machines I have currently the ZAPro version installed but I'm looking for a better alternative,while the version I'm using is quite old. From a security point of view time is there to get the FW's updated.So I'm interested in NPF, the FW set of the NIS suite.Main goals are not being obtrusive,just doing its job without popping up all kinds of windows even when my ISP is just pinging me, and in the second place "good and regular updates and support".

I started this Internet thing long time ago. One of the first Firewall (and still one of the best) was a small 3.2MB gem call AtGuard.Alas the AtGuard people sold their Firewall Engine to Symantec and closed shop.AtGuard can not work with WinXP and above (still working with Win98).Symantec bloated the package from 3.2MB to 20MB (much more now) but maintained the core of AtGuard.I initially started to use it because at the time it was the only product that provided comprehensive Security and Pest Control. I.e. Firewall, Ads Blocker. Popup Eliminator, ActivX Java scripts control, and cookies handling. Not using NFP meant at the time using 3 or 4 programs that did not necessarily live well together.Even currently NIS is probably the most comprehensive package.A far as Firewall “Not Bothering†and working in the Back Ground Most it is a matter of personal call. Most current packages let you control the level. However Bother Less, which means leaving it to the Software manufactures to decide for you. Almost all settings in NIS can be either Auto or full Manual configuration, it is the user choice.NIS 2003 is totally transparent to the LAN once you put the current IP Band in the Trusted Zone.You can scan for all Programs that are Internet capable I.e. can call home and decide on an Individual Level what to do with them.Disabling and Enabling is a matter of One Right and One Left click.Updates are more of a Virus thing. If you use NAV it is updated almost on a daily bases.NIS annoys Techies because it is Big, it installs 4-5 services, and when you want to get rid of it is a real pain in the neck. Regular users usually are incapable to clean after NIS. But as far as the actual performance on a users level I have no complains. Once I explain the options to a Client and the Client choose what he/she comfortable with, I set it up and usually can forget about it.The amount of “junk†that I have to clean on a NIS protected computers is usually less than other Firewalls.BTW. Most Routers let you block the ISP’s pings at the Router level. Look through the menu system you probably will find a place to check it On. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for the reply JackR.Does anybody else has something to contribute on this? i.e. Do the other FWs install that much services to,are they too a pain to remove when you want to do so? I knew of this regarding Symantec and ZA, but it can be done if you got the right documents from their respective knowledgebases.JackR

BTW. Most Routers let you block the ISP’s pings at the Router level.
That's where my router comes in.