which firewall do you use

striker

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please Add to the Poll "None of the Above".ZA Free tend to “Hinder†LAN performance.I would suggest trying this.New Firewall / Virus Package currently offered Free by Computer Associated (CA)It has a similar Interface to NIS. However it is much smaller and less intrusive on the system.Easy Armor seems to be much friendlier toward LAN than other Software Firewalls.Link to: eTrust EZ Armor. :sorcerer:

I use routers and ZA free on all the pcs. The routers stop most of the incoming probes but not 100% of them which ZA logs. But the routers do nothing to stop unauthorized outgoing attempts which is why ZA is still running on all the pcs. Since ZA is so well rated little reason to try something else.

nlinecomputers
Please Add to the Poll "None of the Above".ZA Free tend to “Hinder† LAN performance.I would suggest trying this.New Firewall / Virus Package  currently offered Free  by Computer Associated (CA)It has a similar Interface to NIS.  However it is much smaller and less intrusive on the system.Easy Armor seems to be much friendlier toward LAN than other Software Firewalls.Link to:    eTrust EZ Armor. :thumbsup:
Has EZ Trust changed recently? Last time I checked it out, which was only a few months ago, It was ZONE ALARM. An older version relabled as EZ Trust.

Guest LilBambi

There is another Poll here on SFNL Forums that has some additional options on firewall configuration as well:SFNL Forums Poll: Firewalls It can been be used in conjunction with this poll to maybe fill in with the areas that might not fit a given situation. :thumbsup: BTW: Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Has EZ Trust changed recently?  Last time I checked it out, which was only a few months ago, It was ZONE ALARM. An older version relabled as EZ Trust.
I did not Use ZA for very very long time so I have no farme of reference.Most of the Firewalls that I installed in the last few years are the NIS variety.I find myself always dealing with a Duality.1. What is the best that I can do for my own system given my level of knowledge.2. What is the best that I can do for my Clients given their level of knowledge.Most of the time the solutions are Not necessarily the same.I tried EZtrust in behalf of clients that where looking for a firewall that is less complicated than NIS.At the moment (about 5weeks of usage)EZTrust it looks good.You and I and some others are familiar with the Term Trusted Zone, but most of regular users are not. (In addition of what I already mentioned above).EZ Trust automatically detects IPs like 192.168.xxx.xxx and asks you if you would like to trust this IP band. Press OK and the Trusted Zone issue is resolved. :thumbsup:

I've got the EZ trust armor suite installed, and the firewall is a stripped down version of ZA... It does everything that it advertises... My only issue is that the AV half of the suite lacks a bit compared to most everything else (at least on the customization end of things)...

I use Zone Alarm Pro, had McAfee on my Win95 machine (slow), triedNortons liked that but I put Zone Alarm Free on XP Machine. Liked itso bought the Pro.

Thanks for the reactions so far, surprising to see how many ZA users we have over here ,compared to other FWs. :huh:havnblast

What about Outpost Firewall - they have a free version available - I prefer that to ZA in windows - but now I just use the Router I bought a couple weeks ago
Could you tell us WHY you prefer(-ed) Outpost to ZA?Lilbambi
There is another Poll here ...
I hadn't notice that :D ,thanks for the link. :thumbsup:BTW : nobody using NPF (or NIS's FW) ?Before I forget, I'm using a router/FW combo for hardware level and ZAPro for the software level.

Cluttermagnet

ZA free has always been quite satisfactory for me. Still on dialup here which is 'OK'. No plans to move to broadband any time soon. May get a wired-type router at some point, or perhaps convert my old 486-66 to run Smoothwall (Linux). No interest whatever in wireless.

Thanks for the reactions so far, surprising to see how many ZA users we have over here ,compared to other FWs. :huh:havnblast
What about Outpost Firewall - they have a free version available - I prefer that to ZA in windows - but now I just use the Router I bought a couple weeks ago
Could you tell us WHY you prefer(-ed) Outpost to ZA?
Outpost works just as well as ZA and it was more stable in my XP system than ZA, that is why I used it. I always seemed to have problems with ZA and Outpost worked flawlessly for me. Right now I don't use either, I use the firewall in the router and if I was to do a firewall I would use FireWall Builder, which is a linux firewall. I'm not in windows enough to even bother with a firewall.

A hardware firewall on my ADSL modem/router.On an old P1 box: VectorLinux, I use Guarddog, based on iptables tux4.png . . . . . . Bruno

Bruno,what do you use on your Windows box - if you use that at all :) In the other poll I saw something mentioned like Tiny, is (or was) that right?Seems no Sygate fans over here, interesting.I'm looking forward to see what votes come in next.

What about Outpost Firewall - they have a free version available - I prefer that to ZA in windows - BTW : nobody using NPF (or NIS's FW) ?
LOL.Socially Judging the Voters like Free, and most of them do not have elaborate Network.ZA Free "SUX" from LAN's perspective.:)

I am using ZA free on my laptop. I'm on the road for another month, then I'll be back behind both ZA Free and a router firewall. Belt and suspenders, I suppose.A related question for ZA users, and I suppose it applies to other software firewalls. Do you start to allow those programs, incoming and outgoing, to access the internet when the pop-ups appear, or do you reply each time. I mix my permissions. I always allow my browsers out, but make MusicMatch, QuickBooks, Adobe update, et al. ask me about accessing the internet every time. I just don't want software downloads to take place before I say they can take place.To me the most annoying thing about firewalls is that program-x (which you never heard of) wants to access the internet, do you want to let it message. It requires you to do stop what you are doing to look up program-x, or to simply say, no. Oh well, no one ever promised that vigilence was going to be effortless.

JackR

ZA Free "SUX" from LAN's perspective.
I've seen some of these messages elsewhere too,that's the reason why I switched to the Pro version a few years ago.epp_b
I have a 3-computer LAN, and I use ZA free on all 3 computers. I notice no lag or network slowdowns.
I don't think that JackR meant his statement in this way,I think he means
ZA Free tend to “Hinder†LAN performance.
JackR : would it be possible to give an example of this, that would clear up a few things for us ?littlebone
Do you start to allow those programs, incoming and outgoing, to access the internet when the pop-ups appear, or do you reply each time. I mix my permissions.
Well, I mix my answers too, but when such a question pops up I know what program asks to connect and why : if I do not know why,well then I stop right there and go on hunting for an answer on Google or elsewhere.I have only one program on my machine with server rights, I searched for it why it needs to have server rights at the manufacterers site, and I've found an answer to that questions which seems plausible to me.

A related question for ZA users, and I suppose it applies to other software firewalls. Do you start to allow those programs, incoming and outgoing, to access the internet when the pop-ups appear, or do you reply each time. I mix my permissions.
I certainly mix mine. It depends on the frequency and vendor trust. If the program attempting to access the 'net is normal and something I use frequently then I have ZA remember the response. If it's something that I use infrequently and sometimes want it to use the 'net but not necessarily always, I don't let ZA remember the response.Examples: Always yes: AIM, IE, LiveUpdate, Mailbox Verifier, PCCIOMON. Always prompt: Autorun MFC App, CWShredder, DOWNLOAD.EXE, Fax Service Never yes: Microsoft Help Center, RealPlayer, BMLauncher MFC AppAnd I have several that are set to be allowed to act as servers. Netmeeting, vncviewer, RoadRunner Medic, Generic Host Process for Windows, AtomicTime95 App and AIDA32.BTW striker what even happened with your seach for an LCD monitor?

EdP

BTW striker what even happened with your seach for an LCD monitor?
I've made my list and visited a few shops over here in the neighbourhood, saw a few Acers and a Miro,couldn't locate a Eizo or Fujitsu Siemens, nor Samsung. The Miro wasn't bad at all,but I want to see some others in "real life" too before making up my mind. I haven't forgot to post back when there's something going on on that subject. Thanks for asking.

striker
JackR : would it be possible to give an example of this, that would clear up a few things for us ?
I made Linguistic mistake I did not mean Performance in a sense of Speed. I meant internal communications blocked at times and not controlled by the users. Use to happen a lot to my clients until I had to give up, and told them No more Free Firewall, and Installed some thing else. :thumbsdown: At the moment most of my systems run with NIS, and some with CA eTrust. If eTrust (as claimed by few people here) is a subset of the current ZA, then I guess ZA got better. :angry2: EdP While doing a search concerning RR I bumped into this: WebpageI do not know what it is about since I do not use this program (I do have RR) but I notice that you do. :'(

Thanks for the clearing up JackR. That's what I observed then too, connections from one pc to another one OK, a few minutes later a no-go without apparent reason.It all happened with the ZA free version I used at that time. (can't remember the version now,must be a few years ago.)

At the moment most of my systems run with NIS, and some with CA eTrust.
JackR, could you tell us some more about the NIS suite,in particular the FW piece of the suite? I'm asking because I'm personally interested in it and Symantecs website doesn't give all that information you would like to see, so getting some experiences from first hand would be very usefull.

At the moment most of my systems run with NIS, and some with CA eTrust.
JackR, could you tell us some more about the NIS suite,in particular the FW piece of the suite? I'm asking because I'm personally interested in it and Symantecs website doesn't give all that information you would like to see, so getting some experiences from first hand would be very usefull.
Software Firewalls can be discussed from variety of perspective.As far as Broadband connection is concerned, given the prices of Cable/DSL Routers, I put every system on a Cable/DSL Router even if it is a single computer.The Router’s NAT Firewall take care of some security aspects, thus my main concern in Firewall is to supplement the NAT Firewall.Log to this page, in the middle there is link to a table that make a comparison between a lots of Software Firewall.If you will be more specific I might be able to relate directly to NIS.