Amazing! Meteorite Crater - First Image (Cheljabinsk) Russia

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Amazing! First Image Of The Meteorite Crater (Cheljabinsk) Russia Meteor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_a5JKU-GI

This is not the one they have been talking about! This is another one!

Meteorites slam into Russia as meteor seen streaking through morning sky - CBSNews

The meteor — estimated to be about 10 tons — entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 33,000 mph and shattered about 18-32 miles above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.

It released the energy of several kilotons above the Chelyabinsk region, the academy said.

Amateur videos broadcast on Russian television showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time, just after sunrise, leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

The explosions broke an estimated 1 million square feet of glass, city officials said.

Edited by LilBambi

V.T. Eric Layton

That would have been UGLY in a major city. :(

Everyone was watching that bigger one going by. They missed the little one.

Guest LilBambi

I wonder if it is just a coincidence that there was a 6.6M quake in Russia the day before (Feb 14) the crash and burn of the asteroid? It was originally noted as a 6.9M but adjusted when more details came in.

Edited by LilBambi

I have a co-worker whose mom is in Latvia, several hundred miles from there. No, she heard and saw nothing... To far away, thankfully!

Riga capital of Latvia is 2,700 km and a 35 hour drive on the M7 away from Chelyabinsk. :cool:

I'd have loved to have seen the meteorites coming in. A once in a lifetime experience. :breakfast:

I wonder if it is just a coincidence that there was a 6.6M quake in Russia the day before (Feb 14) the crash and burn of the asteroid? It was originally noted as a 6.9M but adjusted when more details came in.

I am not sure how the two could be related other than the timing.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Possible Seismic Activity on Asteroid 2012 DA14 - Science@NASA

We may be a bigger ball but look what the Moon does to our tides and it's always there. Just thinking outloud is all. Wondering if seismic activity on our planet could be attributed to a close encounter with an asteroid.

And don't forget, we didn't just have one asteroid make a close encounter, we had two and on the same day!

Right, but that article from NASA is talking about the effect of Earth's proximity to the asteroid and what it would do to the smaller object. That makes sense, since the earth's gravitational pull is so much greater than 2012 DA14.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Of course.

I am talking about a gravitational difference, especially in light of two asteroids on the same day (and apparently opposite directions according to NASA's statement at spaceweather.com on the 15th).

NASA has issued the following statement:

"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north."

Which was later updated the same day to say:

It is natural to wonder if this event has any connection to today's
of asteroid 2012 DA14. Paul Chodas of the Near Earth Object Program at JPL says no. "The Russian fireball is not related to 2012 DA14 in any way. It's an incredible coincidence that we have had these two rare events in one day."
Edited by LilBambi

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

"Now, the only thing that's been down there before me is that comet...

live or die, I'll make a million..."

"...Fort Smokin' Crater- last tourist stop for two hundred kilometers, boys-

you got five minutes... Ok, everyone back on the bus!" :th_1sm168massbounce: :santa: :star:

(Inspired by Firesign Theatre)

Edited by Cluttermagnet