Odd Behaviour in MSIE

epp_b

I have an odd problem: on one particular site of mine, when I link to a page anchor (ie.: <a href="page.html#anchor">link</a>) the anchor shows up in the titlebar. So in this case, the title would be MyPageTitle#anchor, when all it should be is MyPageTitle.The reason that this is odd is because I have never seen this before, and I see other sites with links to anchors which do not show in the titlebar.Has anyone seen this problem before or know of a solution?

Interesting. :w00t: It doesn't do it with Netscape. :w00t: And with Netscape the background is white rather than grey but nothing stands out so far.The basic code looks fine from what I see. I see code for a ShockwaveFlash object which I don't see doing anything on the page in either Netscape or IE, whether that is contributing to the problem or not I don't know, you could try commenting it out and see if the problem changes.Sorry I can't be of more help.BTW nice website.

Edited by EdP

This still makes no sense because I have done this several times with other sites and the anchor name does *not* show up in the title bar (eg.: see http://www.a-mtruck.mb.ca/products/index.html#rads).The only thing different about this site is that the anchors are closed. I tried removing the closing tags (</a>), but that results in all of the text changing color because of the stylesheet (although the Trucks site does not -- and the anchors on that page are NOT closed).

epp_b try this:

<a name="agriculture">Agricultural Insurance</a>

in place of

<a name="agriculture"></a>Agricultural Insurance

.If that solves the problem but doesn't present itself the way you want you can try

<a name="agriculture"> </a>Agricultural Insurance

Guest LilBambi

Maybe you are just missing the other part of the anchor code?You need a anchor name and an anchor.anchor name as Peachy shows:

<a name="agriculture"></a>

where the anchor will take you.plus the anchor link itself:

<a href="page.html#agriculture">link</a>

where you click the link to take you there.Or am I missing something in the original question? ;)

I've just checked all my pages, and the #anchor name shows up in the address bar in all my browsers. Everything from NS 4.71 to Firefox and IEEDITI just re-read your post...I thought you meant the address bar...not Title bar.

I think Its something with the embedded Flash logo code you have, not the anchor tag.
NRD, your a genius! I removed the flash logo and it worked (#anchorname does *not* show up in the title bar) Thanks a lot! ;) That's the one thing different from all of the other pages with anchors. I've tried altering a bunch of things with my flash code, nothing seems to work. I've looked at some other sites that I didn't make (eg.: www.coleman.com) and it does the same thing!As far as I can tell, this is a bug with MSIE B)

I see code for a ShockwaveFlash object which I don't see doing anything on the page in either Netscape or IE, whether that is contributing to the problem or not I don't know, you could try commenting it out and see if the problem changes.
I assume you missed this when I suggested it? B) B) Regardless, you got the problem resolved which is all that counts. B) In addition to writing to MS write to Macromedia. They should be interested in this problem also especially since their plug-in is causing it.

I see code for a ShockwaveFlash object which I don't see doing anything on the page in either Netscape or IE, whether that is contributing to the problem or not I don't know, you could try commenting it out and see if the problem changes.
I assume you missed this when I suggested it? B) B)
No, I already tried, that - didn't help.
Regardless, you got the problem resolved which is all that counts. B)
Sort of. I know what the problem is, but I can't fix it.
In addition to writing to MS write to Macromedia.  They should be interested in this problem also especially since their plug-in is causing it.
Before I do that, can anyone confirm that this also occurs using the latest version of flash? I don't think I have the latest version.

I removed the flash logo
?? B) I don't understand the difference between removing it and commenting it out. What am I missing?My Netscape Flash viewer is Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79 and I really don't know what IE is using for it. However, if you know the problem is related to older releases how does that help you? Will you be able to code around it?

My Netscape Flash viewer is Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79 and I really don't know what IE is using for it.  However, if you know the problem is related to older releases how does that help you?  Will you be able to code around it?
I think epp_b may mean the version which produced the swf. I thought about this too, since removing every param except the embed tag still causes this. If you want to get around it, you could probably display your links in an IFrame

I removed the flash logo
?? B) I don't understand the difference between removing it and commenting it out. What am I missing?
I tried both.
My Netscape Flash viewer is Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79 and I really don't know what IE is using for it.  However, if you know the problem is related to older releases how does that help you?
Then I would know that it's a problem with my pluggin version and how to soluve it (upgrading). Anyway, I just tried it with the latest version - doesn't fix it.
Will you be able to code around it?
I don't think so :(Off to Macromedia bug reports...

I noticed it only shows up at the top when linking from your link here. When you move from page to page and every which way through the links it does not do it. I wonder if it is how you are accessing it?Julia :)

I noticed it only shows up at the top when linking from your link here.  When you move from page to page and every which way through the links it does not do it.  I wonder if it is how you are accessing it?Julia :)
On the home page if you click on any of the Our Insurance Services... except Free Personal Quotes you will see the problem title.

Guest LilBambi

Not in Firefox or Mozilla 1.6 ... if you click on something ... such as Life Insurance, it just says Services across the Top of the browser in the Title area. There is no #services there.So as epp_d noted, it definitely does seem to be browser specific.It is an odd problem for sure.

I just ran it through on IE using version 6.0 ..... and it did not show up on any of the pages. Did you fix it?Julia B)

Guest LilBambi

Still does it in IE 6 in Win98se.I am wondering if a javascript making use an event like onclick with a given function could be used in this case to correct this?Here are two pages which might be of help in creating a javascript to help provide an answer for IE:http://www.webdevtips.com/webdevtips/js/le...ng/events.shtmlhttp://www.webdevtips.com/webdevtips/js/le...functions.shtml