The Linux Foundation's UEFI Secure Boot Pre-Bootloader...

V.T. Eric Layton

Are all laptops that are sold now with Windows 8 pre-installed UEFI? Seems like I can't even find a laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed anymore.

I am hoping that Core Boot, formerly Linux Bios, really gets some traction out of this.

I can live without UEFI, Secure Boot, and all the rest of Apple and Microsoft's garbage.

Check out Core Boot here, it's been around a long time.

• Like 2

securitybreach

I am hoping that Core Boot, formerly Linux Bios, really gets some traction out of this.

I can live without UEFI, Secure Boot, and all the rest of Apple and Microsoft's garbage.

Check out Core Boot here, it's been around a long time.

That looks like an interesting project for sure :thumbsup:

The problem the coreboot developers have with BIOS is that you, the user/owner of the computer, have little idea what is going on in the Bios and no control at all.

Most of the hardware manufacturer's don't even know that much about it. They have let the Bios vendors have all responsibility for so long, they don't know how it works anymore.

There is a

presentation about this. The video is about 5 years old, but gives a good idea of the philosophy and work that was done.
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, Core Boot will never get anywhere if they can't support modern Intel Core chipsets. I don't know about how you feel on this point, but ICH7 is over 5 years old and I personally don't have computers of that vintage laying about my house.

• Like 1

what happened to simple bootloaders thats job is booting a os not all of this silly advanced uefi stuff it over complicates things.

Bootloaders load the OS after the BIOS/UEFI have kicked all the hardware into action. Not the same thing.

I hear ya about keeping things simple, though hardware just keeps getting more complicated.

• Like 2

Hello,

Most computer manufacturers that sell a business line of computers (Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo and so forth) still have Windows 7 available in their business lines. By now, though, I would imagine all consumer lines are focused on Windows 8.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

That is kinda sad. It's hard to find a 'new' computer with Windows 7 on it now. Most for consumer markets are now 'refurbs'.

Business grade machines may not be any better hardware wise but the cost is generally more.

Ha over at your side of the pond W8 is king but over here we are a tad more conservative and do not always jump in to the latest and greatest. So you can still buy W7 on home pc's.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=10151&langId=110&catalogId=20551&mRR=true&searchTerms=LAPTOPS+WITH+WINDOWS+7&r_001=3|Type|Desktop+towers|1&r_002=3|Type|Desktop+with+monitors|1

The above is just codswallop really. Truth is we just can not afford the latest and greatest. :'( thank goodness :whistling:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Ha over at your side of the pond W8 is king but over here we are a tad more conservative and do not always jump in to the latest and greatest. So you can still buy W7 on home pc's.

http://www.argos.co....with monitors|1

The above is just codswallop really. Truth is we just can not afford the latest and greatest. :'( thank goodness :whistling:

Wow, they even give away netbooks with desktop purchases. Netbooks must of went way down on your side of the pond.

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

All the more reason for Dual Booters and alternate OS users to build their own again.

Not like we haven't done this before ...