Scammers

rolanaj

I got yet another phone call the other day from someone claiming to be from the IISA?? International Internet Security Association or some such. I get these calls a couple times a week and they annoy me a lot. I did finally get the person on the phone to admit he was a scammer by the end of the call, this was not a pleasant conversation. It really ticks me off that I am reduced to being rude to people on the phone because of this stuff (I know I should just hang up). I am curious though how they get my full name and also tell me they know I have a Windows computer because I have registered one?

Guest LilBambi

There are a lot of these calls! One day when I was at a client's house for an appt, they got a call. And several of my clients have called to ask me about these calls. One was very concerned that they could know anything about his computer and calling him about it.

I told him they know nothing. They call numbers all day long and tell them the same thing; trying to get you scared enough to let them take over your computer and supposedly clean up your computer and charge you to do so.

One guy was a Mac user and they are were talking about Windows LOL!

I got yet another phone call the other day from someone claiming to be from the IISA?? International Internet Security Association or some such. I get these calls a couple times a week and they annoy me a lot. I did finally get the person on the phone to admit he was a scammer by the end of the call, this was not a pleasant conversation. It really ticks me off that I am reduced to being rude to people on the phone because of this stuff (I know I should just hang up). I am curious though how they get my full name and also tell me they know I have a Windows computer because I have registered one?

Aren't you in Canada? It was my understanding that Canada is proactive in dealing with these calls. Are you registered with the DNCL? How to Protect Yourself from Scammers

Thanks for the link Corrine, I had already joined the do not call list but these calls have been getting more prolific lately.

Quote "If you think the call might be part of a fraud scheme, contact law enforcement authorities or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (formerly PhoneBusters) or call 1-888-495-8501." This is good information to have though. I haven't got any calls saying they were from the CRTC but I have got the others mentioned on that site.

LilBambi said:

One guy was a Mac user and they are were talking about Windows LOL!
They really don't seem to know there are other operating systems at all. I've had them tell me if I have a computer I have Windows. Edited by rolanaj

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, very strange for sure. The clients that have received these calls here in the States are all people that still have landlines and are still listed in the phone book.

Not sure it's related though. They can just go down the list of phone numbers using three digit area and extension region numbers and just going down the list. Have seen that done many times in the past.

They don't know you - even if they were to have your name from the phone book listing. BTW: This is one time where it can be very helpful if everyone calls you by your middle name. When someone calls and says can I speak to Allen Jones - not Carlisle which is the name you go by (your middle name), then you know it's an unsolicited call since NO ONE you know, calls you by your first name. ;)

They also don't really know what operating system you use. They are fishing for more information by social engineering means and then will turn things around to use the information they glean from you to tailor their 'message'.

Old tricks....sigh...