The Linux Counter

V.T. Eric Layton

• 1 year later...
Guest LilBambi

I had this on my calendar for Halloween time and went to log in to Linux Counter and added my new to me Desktop and laptop on my profile there.

Here's mine:

183283.png

Can see my profile by clicking on image above. :D

Apparently the Ubuntu Counter page is AWOL. I don't use Ubuntu any longer but I did have a number from when I did. But the Ubuntu Counter page is gone now as noted on that Ubuntu Forums page.

I actually have a couple more Linux machines but it's the EeePC netbook and older Sony laptop and didn't add them since I rarely use them.

Done. I still use my eeepc. I keep it up to date for browsing by using a USB stick. Currently I run Lubuntu 14.04 and Porteus 3.

I have a desktop with a very old version of PCLinuxOS that is off the internet. I only use the Win 2K remaining on there. (I sucessfully removed the XP partition because it made no sense to triple boot the computer).

V.T. Eric Layton

And don't forget to change your smoke alarm batteries when you set your clocks back tonight.

If you are one of the lucky ones who live somewhere in the world where stupid and inane laws don't apply and you don't have to change your clocks twice a year, good for you! Change you smoke alarm batts, anyway. ;)

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet

Uh- set my clocks back? I overlooked that one this year. Thanks for the reminder, Eric.

I see my computer adjusted itself- my watch and wall clock say one hour later.

I'll get them all after some rest. Between two houses, I have probably 15-20 to reset...

• Like 2

Logged in to linux counter a few months ago to update hardware profile when I took my mom's old XP laptop and moved it to openSuSE but thanks for the reminder Eric!

Guest LilBambi

Just had three to change. All the rest are computers of one sort or another and they fix themselves. ;)

Thanks Eric! Good to get all these reminders in one! :thumbsup:

[quote name='zlim' timestamp='1414960097' post='410910']
One house: 16 clocks. This doesn't include the two in the cars and the watches!
[/quote]I always forget something like the clock setting in the thermostat and then wonder why it's so cold in the morning.

• 5 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

So much for me reminding you folks to renew your Linux Counter status. I think I forgot to do my own. I can't seem to login there anymore. I emailed the admin there to see what happened. :(

Same thing just happened to me. I also sent email using their Contact option. We'll see what happens. After being registered for almost 12 years, they seem to have dropped me, and I'm pretty sure I last logged in less than a year ago.

V.T. Eric Layton
Alexander Löhner himself replied to me this morning. He sent me the link to reset my password. I clicked on it and entered my email addy, but it never sent me anything. It's been about 15 minutes or so. I'll email him again tomorrow if I don't get anything by then.

Something is broken there.

I have the email I saved from November 2014. I put in the username and pasted in the password given in the email and absolutely nothing happened!

I did it several times and when I press login, it erases my password and asks me to fill in the field.

I just replied to the email that was sent in November, including the email and asked why I keep getting Invalid Credentials when using the info that was emailed to me.

I would think a password would be good for more than 5 1/2 months.

Read the news https://www.linuxcounter.net/news/7

and it didn't work but has been fixed. Um, it still doesn't work for Palemoon and Firefox.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

I never received any email with a username and password. I just entered my email address (the one I originally registered with) and entered a new password and then confirmed the new password in the next line and clicked OK. The site sent me an email with a link that I had to click on to finalize the new password and login. All this is done by the user on the RESET PASSWORD page.

1) from the Home page, click Sign In on the menu across the top

https://www.linuxcounter.net/

2) on the Sign In page, click the Reset Password bar

https://www.linuxcounter.net/login

3) on the Reset Password page, fill in your original email address used when you first registered and click "reset password"

https://www.linuxcounter.net/resetting/request

4) wait for the site to send you the confirmation email that has the link you need to click to confirm (WARNING: my email from the site ended up in the SPAM bucket. I had to fish it out before I could reply)

There you have it...

I got an email from admin with a link to reset my password after he adjusted my email address in their system. If I ever registered an email address with them, I haven't a clue which one it was. Anyway, I'm okay now--we'll see what happens when I try to log in next year.

So I have to reset my password again?

That's the email i got because I had to reset it in November.

Every time i go there, am I going to have to reset the password?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, what happened is you waited too long to use the confirmation link after you reset your password in November. You need to click the link you get in that email RIGHT AWAY (not 5 months later) after you reset your password. The confirmation link is temporary (has a definite time limit). If you don't confirm by clicking that link in the email ASAP, the site assumes it was a hacker of someone screwing around trying to reset your password.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the domain change happened just a couple weeks ago. I don't know if that screwed things up or not. If you can't login with the email/password combo that you set up back in Nov, then there must be a problem. You knew that already, though, huh? ;)

You could reset your password one more time and maybe this time will be the charm?

• Like 1

I DID use the link in November.

Now how do I log in AGAIN to edit my user information?

I've gotten no reply to my email.

That's too bad--I got a reply within 24 hrs. I used their Contact link in the Info drop-down on their main page.
  • Like 1

a 2nd email sent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reply received; changed password, logged in and change my info.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 3