Got a tablet yet?

raymac46

How are you using it? Wifi or mobile? What are you using it for? Do you have a full sized one or one of the mini-tablets? iOS or Android? I've been thinking this over (whether to get one) and some friends have asked for my opinion but I have no experience myself.

I feel at this point that my essentially home based computing life and enjoyment of a nice big screen may mitigate against a tablet purchase for me but I'd like to hear your views on the subject.

I use an iPad. the screen size is not an issue for me as the apps are truly designed to maximize every pixel of space available on the screen. The apps all run full screen anyway, so the full 9.7" is more than acceptable.

The real benefit to a tablet is casual use. I would never expect a tablet to replace a full desktop in functionality. In my experience, though, the iPad is very capable and can do more than you might expect. The app ecosystem really makes a tablet use ful, and the App Store and Google Play market make both iOS and Android tablets fairly useful.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I want the Nexus 7 or iPad mini, or both, one of these days. ROFL!

But those are the best out there for my needs. Just haven't gotten there yet. Just got finished with taxes and now the monthly bills and such...don't remind me!!!

I have an HP TouchPad with the same 9.7" screen the iPad has. I run Cyanogen Mod, a plain vanilla Android build, on it. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" Android tablet. The thing you have to realize about all the big name manufacturer's of Android tablets is that the screen is a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio as compared to the iPad 4:3 ratio screen. I have both and will say that I much prefer the 4:3 form of the iPad/HP TouchPad. The 16:9 shape is too wide and not tall enough in Landscape and too tall and not wide enough in Portrait mode. You can find Android tablets made in a 4:3 format, but they are cheap no brand imports with old versions of software and no chance of upgrade or support.

The iPad user interface is nice and smooth, just be pre-pared to use Apple App Store, services, and walled garden ecosystem. It's fine for most all users.

The Android user interface is a bit less polished than the iPad one, but is getting better by leaps and bounds as they update the software. You don't want anything below version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich or ICS) on a tablet. ICS is head and shoulders better on a tablet than Gingerbread (2.3) of Honeycomb (3). Android is great for users who want to customize and tinker a bit. My wife, not into tech at all, has no problem making her Samsung Galaxy Tab do whatever she wants on Android, virtually no tech support needed from me.

That said, it's a shame that HP messed up WebOS, it was by far the most polished and intuitive user interface of the three and it was only at the first tablet version. The Open WebOS community has continued to develop it and I wish that Android UI was half as smooth and nice to use as WebOS. I have several friends with iPads (2 and 3), who also bought the HP TouchPad during the firesale, and wish the iOS user interface was as nice as the WebOS UI.

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 1

Hello,

I have a Google Nexus 7 with 16GB an Wi-Fi. I use it mostly as an ebook reader (has Kindle, Nook, and numerous other e-reader software on it) and for casual web browsing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

Hey b2cm! Great to see you. I can't wait till things even out where I can actually get a Nexus 7. Would take longer to get a iPad mini, although I would love either one!