samba4

crp

Guest LilBambi

Everyone is entitled to their opinion crp. If you don't like it, that's your opinion and that's fine. It's been great for me on both Linux and Mac as hosts and Windows and Linux as guest oses.

FWIW Samba4 I think is in the Fedora 17 repos...and /or.

pmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=samba4

Don't know if this helps or not., here is the fedora wiki, http://fedoraproject...Samba4 I'm thinking if it is not really hitting fedora til 18, then rehat will be after.

That's great to know Barry!

Edited by LilBambi

Yeah, I saw it was alpha, thinking they just haven't made it through full testing as far as Fedora and/or CentOS, but it would appear at least they are working on it. Personally I have found that some packages that can be compiled will complie on some distros yet not others(usually a dependency problem that the distro has not addressed yet) crp are you trying to use samba4 on a client box or for testing? if testing why not try the alpha...if client..I follow your logic. Maybe this will help

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4/OS_Requirements#Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_or_CentOS

Really? I don't think so ....

the VirtualBox installed just fine, but when I tried to run a vm it failed and said to run the setup again.

[root@rh5 bitnami]# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules						 [ OK ]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules					 [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
[root@rh5 bitnami]# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

so while perhaps linux itself is not to blame, the Linux Infrastructure just stinks.

I'm supposed to be a user/admin not a programmer on this.

This message only says you don't have kernel sources installed.. Usually just the headers are sufficient.

Search your package manager and install linux headers for your current kernel.

This message only says you don't have kernel sources installed.. Usually just the headers are sufficient.

Search your package manager and install linux headers for your current kernel.

yeah, i saw that and checked it out and there were no files in the directories that were listed under a different error message from VirtualBox after installing DKMS
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules						 [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules		    [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.18-308.24.1.el5xen cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.18-308.24.1.el5xen/build or /lib/modules/2.6.18-308.24.1.el5xen/source.
													   [FAILED]
 (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules					  [FAILED]
 (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

Don't understand this really as I installed the RPM for CentOS from VirtualBox!

Yeah, I saw it was alpha, thinking they just haven't made it through full testing as far as Fedora and/or CentOS, but it would appear at least they are working on it. Personally I have found that some packages that can be compiled will complie on some distros yet not others(usually a dependency problem that the distro has not addressed yet) crp are you trying to use samba4 on a client box or for testing? if testing why not try the alpha...if client..I follow your logic. Maybe this will help

http://wiki.samba.or...Linux_or_CentOS

did a lot more digging and work on this, and there is a good chance this is not doable due to python being so tightly wound up in the CentOS5.8 core and there being no way to really update python. Also no way to update CentOS5.8->CentOS6 :sad: Edited by crp

V.T. Eric Layton

CentOS is basically Redhat without the paid support. It is an outstanding distribution. I don't think the entire distribution should be blamed because one app won't build or install on it. If we trashed distros because of this, we'd have to trash them all because none are perfect; even the ones that approach perfection, like Slackware ;) , occasionally burp up something they've been fed.

Just my thoughts...

• Like 1

CentOS is basically Redhat without the paid support. It is an outstanding distribution. I don't think the entire distribution should be blamed because one app won't build or install on it. If we trashed distros because of this, we'd have to trash them all because none are perfect; even the ones that approach perfection, like Slackware ;) , occasionally burp up something they've been fed.

Just my thoughts...

Actually I am blaming SAMBA and Oracle. SAMBA should have in their requirements which OS are required and if they are going to allow builds against secondary libraries, the executables need to reference the secondary libraries and not the system libraries. It is poor documentation and/or implementation of the build process.

Oracle to my mind is worse - I dl'ed the VirtualBox rpm for CentOS5 from their site and it installed without errors or warning. Yet it will not run and probably due to an XEN problem (see this VirtualBox thread).

V.T. Eric Layton

I just have no need for Samba. I share between Windows and Linux installations on my machine by using a common partition (FAT32) between those operating systems. I find this ever so much easier. That's just me, though. I'm lazy.