Bad Hardware Day

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

You've heard of having a bad hair day? Well, today was a bad hardware day for me. First my HP DVD writer started making ugly spindle motor sounds and would not read a disk, then a little later my 12 year old HP printer jammed up and broke a print head transport drive belt.

Fortunately, thanks to the fact that I hoard used stuff out in my shop, I had a replacement DVD writer and an exact same model printer to replace these faulty ones with. Ain't hoarding great? ;)

All's well now. :)

Sad about the old printer, though. She sure was a good little machine (Deskjet 842C). I bought it in 2000. It was the very first printer I ever bought brand new from a store. Nothing lasts forever, I s'pose. I definitely got my $119.00 out of it. :yes:

• Like 1

I think that's the same model printer we had when I first ventured into using computers. Pretty good quality, but I recall ink was expensive.

Congratulations on getting 12 years out of it. :thumbsup:

Your 842c, looks similar to my 660Cse. I can't begin to tell you what year it was purchased but it replaced an HP Proprinter XL that was a tracker feed printer. :teehee:

It still works (if you are on one of the Windows 2000 computers).

I've got a 648C somewhere in my hardware hoard. Replaced it with a 5550 that my son-in-law gave up on a few years ago. They both still work fine if you have the ink.

I think I have one of those old Windows only 722C units back there as well.

Edited by raymac46

They also don't have the program that kills all print if the printer decides the ink is too old! Some of us take a long, long time to use up a cartridge.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I probably could have easily fixed the one that pooped out on me yesterday, but myeh... I had the spare one, so the broken one went to the garbage can outside. I have enough junk lying around for the moment. ;)