Internet Scam - Ransomware

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I pulled this UGLY thing off a client's Win 7 system today. It got right past a fully updated McAfee with no trouble at all. My suspicion is that it was picked up from a bad torrent download. I noticed that this woman's children had numerous offshore illegal music and video download site shortcuts on the desktop. I'll be advising her about this tomorrow.

After a manual cleaning using Porteus from a thumb drive and then a final cleaning (once I was able to boot into Windows again) using Malwarebytes and Ccleaner, the system seems to be relatively crud free and stable once again. No data was lost. She got lucky. However, I will be warning her that in total she had 11 pieces of malware and 3 separate trojans on this system, including the key-logging capable reveton virus.

I almost feel sorry for folks like this. :(

I should start charging money for this, huh? ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Once again, computers and the Internet are very complicated and often dangerous things. This young mother and her children have not one single hint of a clue as to this reality. Why not? Simply because computers and the Internet are sold as "happy toys" to the consumer. No salesperson ever tells potential buyers anything about the nasties that lay in wait for the unsuspecting and innocent sheep among them. Oh sure, the information on securing and hardening your systems and proper Internet procedures is out there, but who ever RTFM in this day and age?

Backups? HA! That's a whole 'nother topic. I asked this young lady if she had any backups of all the personal data (baby pics, children's pics, tax and banking records, etc.) stored unencrypted on this system. Her reply? "Backups? What do you mean?" The general public's ignorance about computers and the Internet just astounds me sometimes; although, it really shouldn't. Most folks want to use the device/service, like they do with their phone and television. They don't care to know how it works. Sad.

Oh well, it sure makes $$$ for the service industry. Best Buy told this woman the charge would be $300 to fix her system for her. I really need to get my training and certs and jump on this $$$ making bandwagon! :yes: