siduction 2012.2 - Riders on the Storm released

sunrat

siduction 2012.2 - Riders on the Storm final is now available from your friendly local siduction mirror. :thumbsup: B)

Siduction 2012.2 is shipped with 4 Desktop-Environments: KDE SC, XFCE, LXDE and Razor-qt, all in 32- and 64-bit variants. Razor-Qt is the latest flavour that joins our regular release cycle after seeing a dev-release in the summer.

I'm really keen to give Razor-Qt a good test, probably on my EeePC 900.

More info and downloads:- http://siduction.org...sid=154&lang=en

Half an hour later:

Wow, I just downloaded the 721MB Razor-Qt iso using KTorrent in 3 minutes 6 seconds!

Here's a screenshot in VBox (click to enbiggen)-

3cbada225449689.jpg

Looks very nice.

It's 35°C here atm so I'm not going to delve further yet.

Cluttermagnet

Since this is based on Debian unstable, I just wanted to ask if this distro is for less experienced users- like me? How squirrely can this one be? Is this anything like Arch, with its continuous updating? It sounds more like the traditional distros that get released only periodically.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

It's very stable for a distro based on unstable. I've been running it several months with little problem. As it's based on Debian, some non-free items need to be installed additionally. I notice this latest release includes fw-detect, so if you need non-free firmware it should be detected and installed during installation if you have a wired internet connection.

Nvidia drivers also need to be installed separately. It also needs continuous upgrades as new versions of software are added to unstable regularly.

That said, it's pretty easy to manage, although probably too many regular downloads to be suitable for dial-up.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks! Well, I'm really thinking in terms of using such a distro from Betty's, where there is still high speed internet. I will eventually return to cable broadband here, if and when I can get it at my price point. I have generally been able to do that over the past ~5 years. BTW I have daily access to broadband at my 'home away from home'.

A question about this Siduction -- I got the iso and played with it for a while as a livecd, where it works somewhat OK.

But ... do they really expect me to use apt-get in console mode? Tried to install Synaptic, but it isn't in the repository [at least not those named on the livecd]. Looked for some other package manager but found nothing. What am I missing here?

What's wrong with apt-get? It is one of the easiest ways to update any apt based distro.

su or sudo:

1. apt-get update

2. apt-get upgrade

3. done.

But Synaptic is quite nice too. And maybe this will help.

Software [EN] - [sOLVED]Can't install packages with synaptic and/or aptitude

Well, it is not that I don't know how to run #apt-get install synaptic -- it is that synaptic is not in the repository. Is that a mistake, or have they developed an attitude that I don't need it, in the same way that they decided I would not be allowed to routinely login as root? Not like it's the only Debian distro around. I don't care how easy someone else may find console apt-get to be, I don't want to do it that way.

I assume a brand-new distro would not need much upgrading -- that was not my mission. I'm never satisfied with just what's in the livecd.

If it needs explaining, Synaptic is like a catalog of what's in the repo, with some descriptions. I find that far more useful than guessing about stuff with apt-get.

siduction uses Debian repos. Synaptic is there.

roger@brain:~$ apt-cache policy synaptic
synaptic:
 Installed: 0.75.13
 Candidate: 0.75.13
 Version table:
*** 0.75.13 0
    500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It's OK for installing packages, but dist-upgrades should be perfomed with apt-get from runlevel 3 as kernels and xorg receive frequent upgrades and may break your system if upgraded from GUI login. See the siduction manual for recommended method. - http://manual.siduction.org/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm#du-st

An 'upgrade' only of 'debian sid' is not recommended..............

NEVER EVER do a dist-upgrade nor upgrade whilst in X

I use apt-get for installing everything, and Synaptic only for occasional package search.

siduction uses Debian repos. Synaptic is there.

roger@brain:~$ apt-cache policy synaptic
synaptic:
Installed: 0.75.13
Candidate: 0.75.13
Version table:
*** 0.75.13 0
 500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It's OK for installing packages, but dist-upgrades should be perfomed with apt-get from runlevel 3 as kernels and xorg receive frequent upgrades and may break your system if upgraded from GUI login. See the siduction manual for recommended method. - http://manual.siduct...pt-en.htm#du-st

I use apt-get for installing everything, and Synaptic only for occasional package search.

Thank you. Actually, I read that page, expecting to see them touting a different package manager; I was not interested in doing a dist-upgrade. I have no doubt that Synaptic is available on some Debian distros, as I wrote above that's the first thing I add to a Debian. But if you try to do an apt-get install synaptic from the repos available to the new Siduction livecd, it reports not found. I thought that was so unusual that I asked about it here.

Did you see the link I posted in my posting above where it says [solved]?

Software [EN] - [sOLVED]Can't install packages with synaptic and/or aptitude

Somehow, I'm not managing to communicate my problem here; that link is about synaptic not working for those folks. My issue is, I can't get synaptic itself from the siduction repositories. It's not included on the distro iso, and #apt-get install synaptic returns the file is not found. Which I understand to mean, synaptic cannot be found in the named siduction repositories. While apt-get install works for some other things, I prefer to use synaptic.

I just checked the live cd of razor-qt and it has the repos necessary in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list . It should be

deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable main

One thought did you do apt-get update before searching for the package? You need to do this first to refresh the cached packages list.

• 5 weeks later...

same problem as burninbush - synaptic is missing from the repository.

sunrat's steps work: thanks!s

after i followed these steps, and did apt-get install synaptic, synaptic now gleefully starts and runs!

I appreciate your perseverance. Congrats on working past this hurdle.

BB, like the river, has moved on; Mint14-x86_64 + KDE4 is now representing Debian on my machine, and it works very well indeed. Just about zero drama, and everything I've tried works. I have not yet seen an error message or a hang. One minor irritation is not being able to run VLC as root -- but smplayer works OK.

It passes my one severe test: with the wine from the repositories, and running the nvidia driver from the repos, it will properly execute the windows DVDFab.exe program. Only one other 64-bit linux distro here has previously managed that setup (an older rev of Porteus); all others produce a segmentation fault, which as nearly as I can determine is due to conflicts between DVDFab and the 64bit-nvidia driver. Somehow Mint14 cruised past whatever problem the other distros have. Not the fastest on my machine, but I do appreciate the lack of drama with Mint.

Edited by burninbush
  • Like 1

i have enjoyed mint, also, burninbush. it does indeed seem to be a drama-free distro.

And before I leave this topic, I'll just mention that I discovered this afternoon, late on quarterly tax payment day, that I needed a tax form ... found it in a .pdf on the web, and in whimsical fashion clicked on the Print button in Okular, and danged if it didn't produce a perfect 2 pages from my aged HP Officejet printer -- which I'm quite certain I had done nothing at all to setup or test as yet on this fresh install; it just worked. I hesitate to lay this compliment onto a linux distro, but Mint14 seems windows-like in that regard.