Gmail in widespread outage, also caused Chrome browser crashes

Guest LilBambi

securitybreach

Well amazing enough the Cloud storage (Google Drive) part worked fine throughout the ordeal. It was Google+, search and gmail that had issues.

Guest LilBambi

Worldwide Gmail, Chrome crash caused by sync server error - ZDNet

Summary: Gmail crumbles for 40 minutes, while at the same time Google Chrome browsers crashed almost simultaneously around the world (and in some cases, numerous times). Despite the apparent connection, the two problems were not linked. Here's what happened.

Lewmur, in regard to your question:

Google engineer Tim Steele took to the firm's developer forums to confirm that, in spite of the apparent link between Gmail's outage and Chrome crashes, it was Google Sync that was causing the browser to crash worldwide, which ultimately then had a knock-on effect to other Google services, not limited to Gmail, Google Docs, Drive and Apps.

Sounds like it might have affected Google Voice (effect to other Google services, not limited to...). But they don't specify Google Voice. So that's still unclear, but they said, "due to a faulty load balancing configuration change" and Google Sync was over reacting to compensate.

The good thing is that it was only for about 40 minutes before they found and corrected the problem. But not quick enough to prevent my email client from crashing because if it.

Guest LilBambi

However, I think maybe Google Voice was affected. I checked the Google Voice Forum:

When I searched for outage, there are several Google Voice Outage reports from December 10th (was even one from Dec 9th):

Google Voice widespread outage(no inbound calls) in Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Colorado, Illinois, South Carolina and maybe more... post your state here.

Voicemail Issues

My friends on AT&T and T-Mobile tried to call my GV number and they got 'All Circuits Are Busy Now' error

The one on the 9th was about receiving calls:

Can't receive calls

Edited by LilBambi

securitybreach

Does anyone know if it affected Google Voice? Could I have missed phone calls?

Google Voice worked fine throughout this mess. I use my Voice number as the primary number I give out.

kidding aside, Goggle doesn't have its Chrome Cloud isolated from its other services???

Why would they? What would be the benfit aside from preventing an outage int he rare case a "cloud" goes down?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Google gets a cold and the world gets pneumonia - ZDNet

Given the market penetration of Android and projected domination of the mobile space, this sounds like a nightmare scenario. One wrong move from Google and all of our phones, tablets, Chromebooks, browsers, and communication tools go dead, assuming we've bought into the whole Google ecosystem (and many of us have). Doctors don't get urgent messages, stocks don't get traded, teenagers around the world stop texting for half an hour...you get the idea.

In reality, it's also a pretty D***** unlikely scenario. In part, problems like those encountered Monday are rare anyway and Google's business model relies on the trust of its users. Google has the ultimate vested interest in ensuring problems like these don't happen.

Let's also keep in mind that Google detected the problem via its own monitoring software within 21 minutes and took action 7 minutes later. Just a few minutes later, the bad update was rolled back off of its production servers. There aren't many IT departments that can claim that sort of response time for on-premise communication and collaboration software. All users had to do was tweet about the Gmail outage for half an hour and they were back up and running.

Guest LilBambi

Actually, that is not exactly what they said.

They found the problem within 21 minutes of the problem happening and then took action 7 minutes later...the hole problem was over within 40 +/- minutes.

Still, that's a pretty good response time to get the services back online.....

Adam

I take issue with the originating blogger writing
There aren't many IT departments that can claim that sort of response time for on-premise communication and collaboration software