My IT Certification/Continuing Education Saga

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the network closet was very impressive; not so much that finger food. ;)

We all said our good byes and made the usual keep-in-touch promises. It was kinda' sad, actually.

The folks who didn't pass the first exam are scheduled to retake it on the 21st. I'm going to show up for moral support. :)

I'm going to show up for moral support. :)

I've always wondered about that idiom.

Shouldn't it be "morale" support?

Are peoples' morals always in such jeapardy of being compromised that they need questionable support from friends?

Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

Good point again, Bob. :)

+0.732

And in reality, I'm definitely NOT the one to be providing support for anyone's morals. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

They were pretty yummy finger (sandwiches), too. I had a turkey and a ham&cheese one, plus a 1/4 of a chocolate chip cookie. That shot my carb count for the week. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

I've given up enjoying good food in exchange for a longer life. That's the plan, anyway. My diet plan these days is as follows:

• if it tastes good, it ain't good for you
  • if you like it, don't eat it
  • if you eat it, don't like it
  • find a hobby

:lol:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Balanced diets based on who's advice? The "food pyramid" that is loaded with carbohydrates has been shown to be the primary cause of the latest U.S. epidemic of type 2 diabetes. Balanced diet doesn't work for me. I'm diabetic, but I control it 100% with my diet (my A1C hovers around 4.7). The only way I can do this is to maintain a low carb lifestyle (less than 50g/day).

That balanced diet twaddle is a pet peeve of mine. You struck a nerve, temmu. ;)

Further reading:

http://noctslackv2.w...diabetes-lurks/

http://noctslackv2.w...-bad-the-salty/

http://noctslackv2.w...-a-health-nazi/

:hysterical:

securitybreach

26fGyI2.png

You guys worry too much. Now when you start to see adverts like the above, then you can start to worry. :228823:

Indeed :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

No. I'd have to go lower in carb intake to do that. Ketosis is good when you're trying to lose weight. It's proof that you're burning fat cells. And while I do need to lose some weight, I'm not working on it that strictly at the moment; maintaining seems to be the current status.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey! What else is there to do with all the dead people? If we eat them, they won't come back to eat us. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Back to topic...

I'm outta' here! Gotta' go study... study... study!

On a similar topic before running off, though...

I was a bit saddened by my two hour online job search today. It's not going to be as easy to break into this new career as I had hoped. There are lots of interesting networking and IT jobs out there, but all want OODLES of prior experience. I need an entry level opportunity. How does one get their foot in the door? :(

No. I'd have to go lower in carb intake to do that. Ketosis is good when you're trying to lose weight. It's proof that you're burning fat cells. And while I do need to lose some weight, I'm not working on it that strictly at the moment; maintaining seems to be the current status.

Interesting.. I've been reading up on the phenomenon.....

Adam

Back to topic...

I'm outta' here! Gotta' go study... study... study!

On a similar topic before running off, though...

I was a bit saddened by my two hour online job search today. It's not going to be as easy to break into this new career as I had hoped. There are lots of interesting networking and IT jobs out there, but all want OODLES of prior experience. I need an entry level opportunity. How does one get their foot in the door? :(

Eric,

I go to System Administration class with two guys who work at Sago Networks on Gandy, just west of Dale Mabry. They say it is a small shop and they need Linux knowledgable folks. I asked about networking and they said it was something they are always needing, not necessarily hiring, but needing. Your combination of Linux skills and networking will at least get you a face to face.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm still studying, but not making much headway. Sadly, the ICND2 text book that I'm reading is so unutterably BORING that it could easily be used in the medical industry as a high-powered sleep medication. I'm still chugging along though, and thinking ahead, too...

I just ordered:

CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 from Amazon.

I also have these two on my wish list, if anyone cares to buy me an early birthday/Christmas gift:

CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide

CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide

Much studying ahead on the horizon, it seems. Maybe one day, I might even manage to get a job. :(

• Like 1

The only book I ever found that put me to sleep was a computer concepts book back when I took an office tech course (office admin) A couple paragraphs and I would be yawning like crazy.

• Like 1

These guys are looking for folks,

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/70172-us-intelligence-wants-to-recruit-an-it-army

You would probably need a black suit and black sunglasses though :harhar:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

The only book I ever found that put me to sleep was a computer concepts book back when I took an office tech course (office admin) A couple paragraphs and I would be yawning like crazy.

A guaranteed sleep inducer for me is Tolstoy's War and Peace. I've tried numerous times over the last 30 years to read this book. I've never gotten more than 150 pages into it on any try so far. :(

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Cool!

Hey! Why is your posting slewing my forum page all over the place. I can scroll for miles to the right because of your ++++++++ at the bottom of the posting. :(

• Like 1

here's a current ibm-written linux exam guide - it's top notch!

http://www.ibm.com/d...-map/index.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

Hey it messes up my post to.

What is this, some sort of posting voodoo?

Temmu the WitchDoctor! :devil:

Guest LilBambi

Nope, it's the fact that he has no spaces anywhere in the line of +++.

As well as IPB, that's pretty typical in any forum software for it to continue to break the software visually rather than break the line of text. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

That was a great movie, Fran... the book* on which it was loosely based was excellent too, actually. :)

*fixed link - thanks, Fran!