My IT Certification/Continuing Education Saga

V.T. Eric Layton

smilies-45939-1.png

Well, I'm back to planning on taking just the first part of the CCNA exam (on the 28th). I just don't have the time to learn everything needed for the combined exam. Also, I found out a few things today...

The tests cost $150.00 each. The grant will pay for both the ICND1 and the ICND2 OR the combined CCNA test. They will pay for NO retakes. If I fail at any stage, retesting is on me. I KNOW I cannot pass the combined CCNA at this time. I have serious doubts that I'll be ready to pass the ICND1 next Thursday, for that matter. I want to try to pass the ICND1 so that they will pay for the ICND2.

Anyway, that's where I stand at the moment. :(

You have taken on a huge task. Stay positive and good luck for next Thursday. If you need a resit I'm happy to chuck in $10 in the pot to get you there. Drinks would defo be on you when we meet though :beer:

Interesting Eric. Why is dull solder bad? Too hot when I made the joint?

Adam

I had always heard it was too cold and is a weak connection. Dull because you haven't burned off the flux.

You want the physical parts touching so that electrons flow directly, not through solder which is just there to hold the connection together.

Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Adam...

Dull often means a cold solder joint. It's not written in stone, but it's a quick way to visually check solder joints. Sometimes, poor quality solder (too much lead, not enough tin/antimony) can also display dull, gray-ish solder joints.

And speaking of flux... never use acid core solder for electrical or electronics. I'm sure everyone here knows that already. Rosin core solder is fine, but not even necessary when using a quality solder. Keep your solder guage (thickness) as thin as you can. It heats, melts, and spreads much faster and more evenly than thicker guage solder.

Keep your iron at the right temp with a clean and well "tinned" tip. Have your wet sponge handy for cleaning, also. The best after soldering board cleaner is tuolene, but it's carcinogenic and doesn't play well with plastic parts. It sure does make that board look factory-fresh after you've desoldered or soldered on it, though.

@ abarbarian...

Thanks, mate! :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Making progress on this thing, folks. I'm going to be living, eating, dreaming, defecating it for the next 6 solid daze. I WILL pass this test. My sample test scores have improved immensely in the past day or so. I'm just a hair's breath under the passing mark. However, I understand where I'm weak and why I'm making errors. That's progress!

I can't keep my eyes open any longer tonight, though. tired.gif

Goodnight all...

V.T. Eric Layton

Today is our last official day of CCNA class. We're off this next week to study on our own. The first test (ICND1 - Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices 1 - CCENT level certification) is Thursday the 28th at 1330hrs, so you know where I'll be that day. I'll be kicking that test's arse! ;)

I will be the proud owner of this new sig bar after that...

certs_bar-sofar_zps5fd9ece6.png

Remember... it's a work in progress. Eventually, if all goes well, it'll look like this in the coming weeks/months...

certs_bar_zps3affb5e1.png

I'm hoping, anyway...

Sometimes, life gets in the way of dreams and goals. I'll be working on it, though. :yes:

Well, gotta' run...

V.T. Eric Layton

I passed a full (50 questions/90 minutes) sample examination tonight with a score of 89% (80% required to pass), and a half (25 qs in 45 mins) sample examination from a second test provider with an 81% (still passing). I'd like to be doing consistent 90+, but that ain't happening.

Of course, tomorrow I'll be dealing with a different environment and different questions and types. I'll have to spend a lot of my alloted time just reading the questions to make sure I'm comprehending what I need to be comprehending to properly answer the d****d questions. :angry2:

Wish me LUCK! :th_run-around-smiley:

Take your time, Eric! Your first instinct will usually be correct. Changing an answer is rarely a good idea.

We have a big test for promotion purposes each year. The above has served me well. :-)

Adam

• Like 1

I'll have to spend a lot of my alloted time just reading the questions to make sure I'm comprehending what I need to be comprehending to properly answer the d****d questions.

Sounds like you have the best plan worked out. :thumbup: Failing to read the Q properly is the most common reason for failing exams.

Best of luck mate. :breakfast:

The fireworks begin today. Each diploma is a lighted match. Each one of you is a fuse.

- Edward Koch

congratulations-comment-018.gif

That was the easy part. Now you have to produce a good looking cv and get a haircut and find a suit. :harhar:

V.T. Eric Layton

It's funny how everyone (family, friends, teacher, classmates, etc.) all knew I would pass. I guess I was the only one with doubts. ;)

Thanks all! :)

=====

@ abarbarian... cut hair? suit? ARRRRRRGH!!! runaway.gif Working on the cv for sure, though. :yes:

Great job, Eric. We knew you were up to the challenge.

Wonder how many of your classmates were?

Most people would not stick to the study schedule you did to accomplish this.