My IT Certification/Continuing Education Saga

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I didn't actually miss any CCNA stuff. The class I missed yesterday was the resume lady's class. The problem was that I could not concentrate to study this past 4 days. Everything I read was basically Greek tragedy... in the original Greek. I'd read an entire chapter in the book and then realize that I couldn't remember a single word of it because only my eyes were reading; my brain was off worrying about my kitty. :(

The first exam is next week. I'm NOT at all ready for it. I'm still consistently scoring in the 65% range on sample tests. *sigh*

This ain't no guess and gimme certification, that's for sure. WARNING to anyone pursuing CCNA -- It ain't easy-peasy.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, we are tentatively scheduled to take the 1st part of the CCNA (CCENT - INCD1) exam on the afternoon of Monday the 18th of February. I don't think any of the eight of us is comfortable with our confidence level regarding being able to pass this thing at that time. :(

Time to CRAM! CRAM! CRAM! :yes:

Cram in doses. Take breaks every couple hours. Don't overdo it- you'll just burn out.

My initial electronics training was 12 hours a day for four months. I had to pace myself.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

My electronics training was 6 hours a day for five days a week for 18 months (AS degree). Oh, and lightened my pockets by about $4000. FUN! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... yeah... I'm too old jaded for Anthony Robbins/Zig Ziglar psycho-babble... but I appreciate the cheering section. :yes:

• Like 1

Yeah... yeah... I'm too old jaded for Anthony Robbins/Zig Ziglar psycho-babble... but I appreciate the cheering section. :yes:

Well I intended to post a small section from the vid the above pics came from. Spent a day trying to cut a section to post and the link below is the best I could do. Avidemux was a washout for me. I ended up using vlmc which did not alow me to use the english audio or the subtitles. Well at least I could not manage to find out how. So I posted the pics.

Anyways here is the clip.If you do not speak Japanese you should get it from just the pictures. :breakfast:

https://mega.co.nz/#!csRjgDga!apVl1Hhr-6177J36JJXGyE0RKv8zC2iUYhVL32ZMRaw

No can play that vid. Wants me to do all kinds of stuff before it'll let me see it. :(

Well it is a download link. Downloads fine in Chrome,Iron but needs a add-on in FF and apparently it do not like Safari. :shifty:

I was trying out the new Mega service which is still in beta. I can not log into the account I made or the second one I made. I can download all the links I have given folks. Some folks can download but otheres can not. I'm a bit puzzled.

Maybe, just maybe the fact that I gave my user name as "kimdotcom" is what is causing the wierdness :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the first part (ICND1) of the Cisco cert exams (CCENT) was finally scheduled for Wednesday the 21st. However, after the class took a practice exam today, the instructor decided to postpone the testing till further notice. Just as well, it will give me more time to study for the combined test. I've decided to go for broke on this.

The first and second test = the CCNA cert. Each test is 50 questions in 90 minutes. However, the one-shot CCNA test is also 50 questions in 90 minutes. I feel that if I'm going to attempt to pass this thing, I may as well shoot for the whole kit and kaboodle at one time. The tentative schedule for the CCNA one-shot exam is 5 March.

We'll see how things go, I s'pose.

Don't let nobody tell you that CCNA is easy to achieve. They'd be lying to you.

Anyways here is the clip.If you do not speak Japanese you should get it from just the pictures. :breakfast:

https://mega.co.nz/#...C2iUYhVL32ZMRaw

Couldn't even get to the link here -
Please update your browser

Warning: You are using an outdated browser that is not supported by MEGA.

I get that sometimes, it's latest Iceweasel that gets Mozilla's security updates patched by Debian but they don't bump the version number.

Just an FYI, the 21st of February is a Thursday. Also, the 21st of March is a Thursday.

Wow, you don't see that every year! Oh, wait......... you do, except for leap years. :shifty: :whistling: :D

Eric, the rest of the class must be dumbasses if they have to postpone the test to catch up to you. ;)

• Like 1

Sunrat you are not the only one having problems. however from Arch 64 with FF I can access the link,get the same warning box,say thanks bot no thanks to upgrade,then download the file. So I do not know what your problems are. Sorry can not help.

Eric best of luck with the exams. :shifty:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Just an FYI, the 21st of February is a Thursday. Also, the 21st of March is a Thursday.

Go for it, you can do it!

Aww... h3ll, I can't even read a calendar right. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric, the rest of the class must be dumbasses if they have to postpone the test to catch up to you. ;)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :hysterical:

Guest LilBambi

Yep! Apparently never to old to succeed late in life! Which is good news for many of us, eh?

Alan Rickman, made it big after he was 46 in acting! Might remember him as Hans Gruber from Die Hard, and Professor Snape in Harry Potter. Turned out to be one of the best bad guys in film too. (and he's only #5 in a list of 5 late bloomers)

10 People Who Changed Careers After 50 And Succeeded - quite the list

Top 10 Late Bloomers (almost totally different list!):

I often hear people say, “Oh, it’s too late for me to change anything.”, or “I always wanted to do this, but I’m too old for it now.” Ironically I hear statements like this from people, who are only 40 or 50 years old! I listen to these sad claims and think, “What are you talking about?! It’s never too late. Not even if you are 90!”

and finally ...the list of 50 Famously Successful People Who Failed At First

Those are some amazing stories of success late in life, multiple successes in life, and success after earlier failures.

If at first you don't succeed, fry, fry...an egg. errrr, sorry that was my Dad's silly one. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

So, if I try a thousand times to pass this test, I'll finally succeed at 70. Is that what y'all are sayin'?

:hysterical:

New test date for the 1st exam - 28 February (next Thursday).

One person in the class managed to get a passing score on today's practice exam. I scored the same as the one on Thursday (failed) and a few others scored worse than previously.

I'm going back to the basics. I'm going to start the 1st book from the beginning and re-read the entire thing. We have been forced to digest too much data in a short time. I have a rickety foundation on which to build the latter data. I need to get back to the basics.

V.T. Eric Layton

smilies-45939-1.png

Well, I'm back to planning on taking just the first part of the CCNA exam (on the 28th). I just don't have the time to learn everything needed for the combined exam. Also, I found out a few things today...

The tests cost $150.00 each. The grant will pay for both the ICND1 and the ICND2 OR the combined CCNA test. They will pay for NO retakes. If I fail at any stage, retesting is on me. I KNOW I cannot pass the combined CCNA at this time. I have serious doubts that I'll be ready to pass the ICND1 next Thursday, for that matter. I want to try to pass the ICND1 so that they will pay for the ICND2.

Anyway, that's where I stand at the moment. :(

Keep working! I know you can do it!

In the meantime, rate my soldering! I was moving a jack on a bass guitar amp. Hartke did not want to give me the part number for the jack, so I used one that would normally be used for an effects loop. Since we don't do that, I figured why not permanently borrow the jack?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/8677_10151433271823744_69254322_n.jpg

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Remember the rule... shiney solder = good, dull solder = bad. ;)

Keep working! I know you can do it!

Oh, I'll get it... just maybe not the first time around the block. :yes: