My IT Certification/Continuing Education Saga

V.T. Eric Layton

You need to set that fine laptop up to do school work on and get some done at school and on the bus. That's what I do. Sometimes I just can't get anything done at home, with a 4 year old in my lap. So I go on the road and spend a few hours getting it done at school.

V.T. Eric Layton

You need to set that fine laptop up to do school work on and get some done at school and on the bus. That's what I do. Sometimes I just can't get anything done at home, with a 4 year old in my lap. So I go on the road and spend a few hours getting it done at school.

Fortunately, I don't have the distractions you do. :yes: And about that laptop... I wiped Bodhi off my Dell 610 last night and installed Slackware. I'll spend some time later this evening setting it up primarily for study/school use. I'll also invest in a couple handy-dandy flash drives. I already have a notebook and pencil. ;)

• Like 1

so that's 4 there + 4.5 in class + 4 home + 4 homework = 16.5hrs, leaving 7.5 hours to eat, bathe, sleep, take care of kitties, etc.

A slight rearrangement.

4 hours(reviewing yesterdays lessons and checking homework + 4.5 class + 4 hours homework = 12.5 hrs, leaving 11.5 hours to eat, bathe, sleep, take care of kitties, etc.

I followed a similar pattern travelling from York to Sheffield(2hrs) when I was training to be a Turf Accountant. Came joint top of the class with 97 %

in the exam. I was a 21 year old wreckhead with no qualifications the rest of the class were fresh out of school 'A' level Maths geeks. That was in the days when 'A' levels were a pretty respectable benchmark of education. :clap:

V.T. Eric Layton

Make sure you bring your null modem cable to class. You can't SSH into a router that isn't online!

Umm... 44.gif Yeah.

V.T. Eric Layton

I followed a similar pattern travelling from York to Sheffield(2hrs) when I was training to be a Turf Accountant.

Wow! You Brits are something. You have to go to school over there to be a bookie? In the States, you just have to know someone named "Vinny". ;)

Wow! You Brits are something. You have to go to school over there to be a bookie? In the States, you just have to know someone named "Vinny". ;)

Yeah well guys called 'Vinny' are pretty rare over here. :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah well guys called 'Vinny' are pretty rare over here. :whistling:

That's true. You'd have to hunt down an Ian or a Charles. ;)

I wonder if anyone at the college would know if there is a "Park & Ride" bus that goes from somewhere near you to the school. That might cut the commute time.

I wonder if anyone at the college would know if there is a "Park & Ride" bus that goes from somewhere near you to the school. That might cut the commute time.

Unfortunately, the Tampa public transport system sucks. If the economy stays in the tank much longer it will probably get worse. Fewer revenue generators and more of us in need of services like public transport.

V.T. Eric Layton

There are some park n' ride options, I believe. I may call HARTline this week coming up and see if they have any suggestions other than what I was able to ascertain from their website.

Also, as someone else mentioned, there is the carpool option. Once I get in there and find out if anyone is coming from my neighborhood, I may be able to offer some $ for gas to share their ride in every day. We'll see. I will be sitting in that classroom one way or another.

I started my self-study course in CompTIA Network+ Element K tonight. I don't want to walk into this CCNA class as a total newb. ;)

I will be sitting in that classroom one way or another.

:clap:

You're most definitely deserving of this opportunity. Great faith that you'll do a super job!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I used to have a bunch of those from back in my technician days. They were always stuffed full of tweaking tools, pen, pencils, penlights, and magnifiers. I was a long-haired, hippie, biker geek back then. Nowadays, I'm an older (hopefully wiser) long-haired, hippie, biker geek. However, I don't have any pocket protectors at this time. I have a thumb drive on the chain of my biker wallet, though. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Awesome! So glad we could turn you on to that little drive! it's great that they have it at Amazon too. We got ours (one for each of us) from TigerDirect back when they were $8.99 each. Now they are the same price at TigerDirect as they are at Amazon. LOL!

V.T. Eric Layton

Alrighty... my little Dell Latitude 610 is all set up with Slackware. It's a zippy little machine. It'll serve well during my studies. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

eric, i am so glad for you!

and i'm amused that you also have a dell latitude 610 with slack on it, as i do! :lol: lol

i wish you all the best! and keep on keeping us posted!

Great minds think alike... and use similar computers/operating systems. ;)

Thanks for the support, Temmu! :yes:

We use D610s everywhere in the Navy.... We have a couple we use for instruction at my current command. They are pretty reliable....

Adam

They are definitely little work horses. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

No. Josh sent me a Dell Inspiron 1521... a much newer and more capable laptop. I use it primarily at my office desk.

th_DSC01065.jpg

The Dell Latitude 610 was given to me by my niece earlier this year.

th_jenslaptop.jpg

• Like 1

No. Josh sent me a Dell Inspiron 1521... a much newer and more capable laptop. I use it primarily at my office desk. The Dell Latitude 610 was given to me by my niece earlier this year.

The D610's were built like tanks. Great little laptop. The single core Pentium M is a screaming fast chip, clock speed doesn't tell the whole story.