Tablet sales skyrocketing, driven by iPad mini, Android demand

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Tablet sales skyrocketing, driven by iPad mini, Android demand - Computerworld

IDC raised its estimate for the total number of tablets to be sold worldwide in 2012 from 117.5 million to 122.3 million in today's release, on the basis of strong demand for the Apple iPad mini and growing Android sales numbers. The company also raised its 2013 prediction from 165.9 million units to 172.4 million, and its 2016 figure from 261.4 million to 282.7 million.

I wonder what percentage of tablets sold are wifi only i.e. replacing netbooks or laptops at home, versus truly mobile with (say) 4G connectivity? With tablets shrinking down and smartphones getting bigger we seem to have mobile convergence going on.

Haven't been able to justify a tablet personally as I don't have a mobile data plan, and right now I have 2 Linux netbooks and a quad core windows 7 notebook that work fine on my home wifi network.

Guest LilBambi

Back in March of this year (2012), GigaOM reported:

Approximately 90 percent of all tablets in the U.S. relied on Wi-Fi over 3G mobile broadband last year, according to industry analyst Chetan Sharma. The data suggests that carriers aren’t a needed distribution chain for slates for several reasons: long-term contracts and redundant data plans.