Know who’s tracking your e-reading habits

Guest LilBambi

But I do really like that I can enlarge the text to my liking without having to use a magnifying glass to enjoy the books. Paperbacks have fast become very difficult for me. Hard cover are a bit better but they too are becoming troublesome.

I have problems with my eyes reading books and watching TV. Hard to keep my head at the right angle for the tri-focals to be in focus.

Also, as I've gotten older my father's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and my mother's Arthritis have made reading on a large screen monitor my preference.

Textbooks which aren't available as PDF or ePub really get me torked. Large, weird, formats. Usually printed to far into the binding. Long hours fighting the book so that I can read the content. Students notoriously have no money, so the publishers think they can do whatever they want.

Edited by amenditman

Guest LilBambi

I have problems with my eyes reading books and watching TV. Hard to keep my head at the right angle for the tri-focals to be in focus.

Also, as I've gotten older my father's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and my mother's Arthritis have made reading on a large screen monitor my preference.

I know exactly what you are talking about there amenditman!

I've been noticing a problem with carpal tunnel when using my kindle for long periods of time, even in the case it is a bit smaller than the average book not sure that doesn't add to the problem.

Guest LilBambi

Sure that is a strong possibility as well, Rolanaj.

I always listen to unabridged versions of audiobooks rather than dramatizations. I love the words and the author's arrangement of words in books and I don't want to miss a single one! :yes:

Edited by LilBambi

http://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/about#tipsandtricks

Sites that have ONLY DRM-free e-books

Smashwords has over 31000 DRM-free e-books in various categories including, but not limited to, Romance, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Humour, Horror, Historical, etc. BeWrite Books also carries a sizeable collection of DRM-free books across various genre. Baen is a good place to find DRM-free e-books on speculative fiction, while Carina Press carries a good number of romance e-books as well as a few e-books in other categories.

A huge number of public domain works are available on the Project Gutenberg website both free of cost (please consider donating) as well as DRM-free. The Project Gutenberg catalogue contains public domain e-books in various languages.

Sites that have BOTH DRMed as well as DRM-free e-books

Fictionwise carries both DRMed and DRM-free e-books. The DRM-free e-books are labelled as multiformat.

Amazon has a few DRM-free e-books. Look for "Simultaneous Device Usage" under "Product Details" and if it is set to "Unlimited" the the book is DRM-free. Only such books from Amazon are listed here. MOST E-BOOKS ON THE AMAZON WEBSITE ARE NOT DRM FREE. If there is no mention of the "Simultaneous Device Usage" under "Product Details" the e-book is not DRM Free.

Calibre now have their own DRM free store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibre_%28software%29

Calibre supports many file formats and reading devices. Most of these e-book formats can be edited, for example, by changing the font or the font size and by adding an auto-generated table of contents. Conversion and editing is only possible after digital rights management restrictions have been removed from commercially purchased e-book files. calibre does not natively support this removal, but the capability can be added to the program by installing freely available plug-ins.[3]

You paid for the book. You should be able to do what you like with the book. Follow the link (3). :pirate:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks to all those who provided listings of other DRM free paid and free books like listed in this posting on page one of this topic. Note: several others are noted on page one as well.

Nice list here on page two from abarbarian here two posts up from this one.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Calibre is great for cataloging ebooks! I prefer other readers, but Calibre also includes a rudimentary Java reader.

BTW: The link to the calibre Open books (DRM Free books) is here. Personally I search by price in each genre.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Sad news about FictionWise.com:

Fictionwise.com is in the process of winding down its operations. The last day of sales has been extended to midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 9, 2012. After December 9th, Fictionwise/eReader will no longer sell digital content. Once customers opt in to have their titles transfer to BN.com, the transfer begins and the process will be on-going in the coming weeks.

Customers will not be able to access Fictionwise Bookshelves through the site after December 21, 2012. (International customers, click here) A separate communication was distributed regarding Fictionwise accounts.

Please visit the FAQ [http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm] to learn how to back up your eBook files or for more information and support details.

• 2 years later...