Lightweight Browsers?

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Just wondering, since I'm temporarily back on dialup- how about some lighter weight browsers that play on Linux OS's? I remember toying with really lightweight ones in Windows back prior to 2007. Used tiny stuff like 'Off by one" and several others. I'd be very interested in hearing what sort of stuff like this you guys have played with- and felt was a 'keeper'. I guess I'm looking for utilities that do handle graphics, but perhaps selectively, say by turning them off by default and then allowing download of single graphic instances off of a given web page, one at a time.

I suppose this also fits under the category 'Lightweight Distros', but I'm just trying to see if there are any lightweight browsers I can download into an obsolete, non- supported distro that I already have running (Ubuntu Dapper 6.06).

I suppose I could also inhibit downloading of graphics in the installed copy of very old FF v.1.5- if I knew how.

I'm going to gradually start trying some of my other boxes with Linux installed, to see if I can have any other successful dialup activations. As I remember, my batting average was abysmally low in that regard.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

You can also disable images in your GUI browser, and try settings or extensions that will disable flash (flashblock), scripts, except as needed (NoScript), etc.

Guest LilBambi

If you use a different or mobile UserAgent, you can also get mobile skins here at SNF and other places/ forums and sites which cuts down on the clutter of scripting, unnecessary images, etc.

You can also go to the settings in forums to disable Avatars, Signatures, etc. in your personal settings.

I recommend Midori, might feel too heavy too. Then I recommend Jumanji. http://pwmt.org/projects/jumanji/

jumanji is a highly customizable and functional web browser based on the libwebkit web content engine and the gtk+ toolkit. The idea behind jumanji is a web browser that provides a minimalistic and space saving interface as well as an easy usage that mainly focuses on keyboard interaction like vimperator does.
  • Like 1

I just did a test on KDE. Firefox, native gtk app vs. Rekonq, the new native KDE webkit browser.

CPU Memory Shared Memory

Firefox 255,000K 35,000K

Rekonq 40,000K 30,000K

Edited by amenditman

Cluttermagnet

I tried downloading and extracting tarballs of midori and dillo. Tried unsuccessfully in Terminal to get midori installed. I could navigate to the extracted file OK, but things broke down from there. In particular, my Terminal would not recognize the command

'./waf configure'

Even after I figured out I needed to sudo at that point. It was like "Configure-Huh??"

I gave up at that point.

Dillo's instructions were less decipherable. I didn't attempt to install that one.

I think this exceeds my pay grade.

Bah humbug.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

Why did you not try installing Midori from your package manager as it is available in most all distro's repositories? A simple sudo apt-get install midori would of installed it just fine.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Why did you not try installing Midori from your package manager as it is available in most all distro's repositories? A simple sudo apt-get install midori would of installed it just fine.

Yes! Yes! A thousand time YES! Always use your distribution's repos FIRST! If you can't find it there, then go looking for sources and dependencies from which to build. Watch out for Dependency Heck, though. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
  • Full integration with GTK+2/ GTK+3.
  • Fast rendering with WebKit.
  • Tabs, windows and session management.
  • Private browsing and sensitive data options.
  • User scripts and user styles support.
  • Straightforward bookmark management and flexible Web Search.
  • Customizable and extensible interface.
  • Extensions such as Adblock, form history, mouse gestures or cookie management.

Requirements: GLib 2.22, GTK+ 2.16, WebkitGTK+ 1.1.17, libXML2, libsoup 2.27.90, sqlite 3.0, Vala 0.14

*from Midori's website --> http://twotoasts.de/index.php/midori/

They even have a direct link for an Ubuntu download. :)

Cluttermagnet

Think about it- I'm on dialup. My Synaptic probably hasn't been updated for several years. How long would all that take over dialup? I didn't dare try refreshing Synaptic, therefore ruled out using Synaptic.

P.S. Now that I see an example of how to do this apt-get style, I will try that. That only involves using the Terminal, not Synaptic.

But don't assume basic skills and remembrances which may or may not exist in my case. I asked you guys to be patient with me back in 2007 when I started trying to learn Linux. I got a lot of help, too, and became somewhat 'OK' at it. But never assume I know how to do basic things. Often I dont, guys. Sorry... I think I'm losing my memory (sometimes...)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

clutter@clutter-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install midori
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package midori
clutter@clutter-desktop:~$

Perhaps if I specify midori version number?

Or perhaps I need to specify an exact directory address?

I do have a downloaded copy on my HD, both as a tarball (I think) and as extracted into a folder.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Requirements: GLib 2.22, GTK+ 2.16, WebkitGTK+ 1.1.17, libXML2, libsoup 2.27.90, sqlite 3.0, Vala 0.14

I doubt if dapper would have up-to-date versions of these dependencies.

For apt-get, try this:

apt-get update && apt-get -s install midori

This will update apt-get's package list and simulate (-s) install so you can see how many packages will be updated and how much it will have to download. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes into dependency chaos though as many of your current packages will depend on the older versions, particularly GLib and GTK, so apt may want to update all those packages too. It won't hurt to run the command though as nothing will be downloaded or installed until you run it without the -s option.

And Midori may not be available at all for dapper anyway.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks sunrat, that is the concern I had. And because he was on dialup...

It appears to be available on in source. But once Clutter gets updated as far as he can go on the system, he can at least try to use apt-get install pkgname to see if it is even there.

Clutter, if you could take that computer to Betty's, then you could get it updated through synaptic and then you would have all the dependencies needed to try sudo apt-get install midori again, or just use Synaptic at that point by searching for midori in Synaptic. Personally, if I am installing a single item like that, apt-get install pkgname works so much easier.

Edited by LilBambi

Cluttermagnet

Yep, thanks, guys. Great detail, Sunrat! Fran, I think that would be my best move, to take this box over to Betty's. I'll do whatever I can with Synaptic over there.

Time permitting, I'm going to try a couple other random boxes here and see if they can manage to set up a dialup connection. In the past, that has not gone so well. It would be good to have a recent distro to play with on dialup. A lot less dependency problems, as you guys mentioned.

Cluttermagnet

OK I finally tried the measures above. No luck. I couldn't apt-get install midori. Same message from Terminal, it can't find it.

Probably my next move is to take this old Dapper box back home and hold it in reserve as my only presently working dialup Linux distro.

Then I'll try getting dialup to work with a couple other distros, but I don't like my chances, I have utterly failed at that in the past. I don't know why, BTW, as I have the requisite external dialup modem which is proven to be working, but somehow they have crippled dialup in these more modern distros- at least, made it devilishly complicated to do what used to be such a simple thing...

BTW it did not look like Synaptic or apt-get update, either one, found much new to refresh in Synaptic. I think it would be safe to guess that the Dapper repositories no longer exist online.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

P.S. I just had to hook my Dell 600 back up before leaving for home. Wow, what a difference! Things happen a lot faster on this, my only 'modern' platform. I don't think this thing even came with a Winmodem when Don, my old friend, originally bought it. He's been gone nearly two years now. RIP, Dear Friend. :sorcerer: Some of your stuff soldiers on with me. You are missed...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Wow! What a great suggestion! Thanks, Josh. I'll now drag this tower back over to Betty's and see what I can do with your 'oldies repository'. Fabulous!

Meanwhile, I tried about 4 other towers tonight at home, and while messing around in Ububtu 10 Help, I was reminded that there is indeed missing software. Seems I would need to get a package called (roughly) gnome-network manager, and that would then enable a new menu item Network under Administration where I should then be able to muck about with modem settings. So in effect, there was indeed a 'missing piece of gnome', just as I suspected. Dapper has this natively, making setting up a modem, then toggling back and forth between Ethernet and dialup pretty painless.

So let's see how far I get tomorrow night when I have another go at this.

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1