Internet Explorer and Google Sidewiki

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I happened to be in MS Win XP tonight (playing a game) and I needed to check something online. I fired up IE and went to the site. When I RIGHT clicked on something on the site, I noticed something in the Context menu called Google Sidewiki. It seems to do nothting when clicked, though. A brief search shows that it is some sort of browser extension from Google that was discontinued last year.

My question is this: how did I get it on my IE and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks,

~Eric

Eric, from what I found about Google Sidewiki, it is part of the Google Toolbar. To remove it from the toolbar, do the following:

• Launch Internet Explorer
  • Click the Google Toolbar wrench icon to adjust the options
  • Deselect the 'Sidewiki' checkbox on the Tools tab
  • Click Save

V.T. Eric Layton

This was my first thought, ladies... that the dreaded GOOGLE TOOLBAR PERSONAL MONITORING AND SPAMMING DEVICE had been installed on my system. Yet, I don't have it installed... that I can find anywhere, anyway. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

That's what I'm thinking. I seem to remember it slipping under my radar when I installed something a year or so ago and me having to remove it then. I'll install/remove and see what happens. I'll keep ya' posted...

Heh! ;)

Anywho... an install/remove fixed it. Google all gone now... darn malware. :angry:

You know it was report to "Them" when you installed it and again when you removed it. "They" will be watching extra closely now, for sure! :pirate:

V.T. Eric Layton

I was using a TOR node when I accessed and and d-loaded that Google malware. As far as they know, I was in Stuttgart, Germany and my name is Hans Schliemann.

So there. ;)

I was using a TOR node when I accessed and and d-loaded that Google malware. As far as they know, I was in Stuttgart, Germany and my name is Hans Schliemann.

So there. ;)

You do know that "They" will find you eventually, don't you?