Searching text in Web archive (.mht) files

merja

Hi!Does anyone know a way to search text in Web archive (.mht) files?I have saved a lot of web pages in these neat one file per page files, but Windows Search doesn't find any text in these files. So I can't really get the true benefit of them.

Guest ThunderRiver

It is a proprietary file format for Internet Explorer. your only bet is to use IE and open each one of the files up and search for the "text" mht is mainly used for archive only, and I find it quite useful when you want to store some web pages with images permanently on the hard drive as a "single" file.The down side is, not even Netscape, Mozilla or Firebird can read it..... not even the IE in Mac OS X

Hi

Does anyone know a way to search text in Web archive (.mht) files?I have saved a lot of web pages in these neat one file per page files, but Windows Search doesn't find any text in these files.  So I can't really get the true benefit of them.
You didn't mention what OS and Search that you're using, but the standard\default Windows Search in Windows 2000 (that's the only OS that I currently can be 100% positive about right now) WILL search for text\words in .mht files within Windows Explorer folders.
It is a proprietary file format for Internet Explorer. your only bet is to use IE and open each one of the files up and search for the "text" mht is mainly used for archive only, and I find it quite useful when you want to store some web pages with images permanently on the hard drive as a "single" file.The down side is, not even Netscape, Mozilla or Firebird can read it..... not even the IE in Mac OS X
I can not say with the same 100% certainty as I can with the Windows Search finding text in .mht files at the moment, but in the past I (and some friends) have used the later Netscape and Mozilla Browsers to open and read .mht files with no trouble, but at the moment I do not have either a Netscape or Mozilla Browser loaded in this Windows 2000 to verify that. If I remember correctly, the Netscape 4x series might not be able to open them, but I'm fairly sure that the Netscape 6x series as well as the Mozilla series would open and read them with no trouble, but I've never tried the new Firebird series or any other Browser.Perhaps somebody else can verify that for us ?Thanks :P

You didn't mention what OS and Search that you're using, but the standard\default Windows Search in Windows 2000 (that's the only OS that I currently can be 100% positive about right now) WILL search for text\words in .mht files within Windows Explorer folders.
Amazing: it works in Windows 2000, but not in Windows XP Professional??? :P

Amazing: it works in Windows 2000, but not in Windows XP Professional??? :ph34r:
Hi merjaJust to let you know, in a sense both of us are correct in what we posted so far.Now this might be hard to understand at the moment, but I'll post a detailed follow-up later with how you can use the XP Search for text in .mht files, I just don't have the time to get into it right now :(Stay tuned ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

mm.. interesting. I have tried Netscape 4.x and 6.x and none of them can open mht natively.Mozilla and Firebird are out of question, but it will lead to external viewer such as Outlook ExoressI personally tried it on Internet Explorer 5.x on Mac OS X as well, and it doesn't know what mht is.

Hi merjaAs I previously mentioned, I really don't have the time to get into a detailed explanation, but it appears that the Windows XP Search has a few *whatevers* associated with it by default when searching for a word or phrase, however they can be modified according to the MS KB article @:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;309173If you check out Doug Knox's site (he's an MS MVP) @:http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp..._fix_search.htm you'll find an decent explanation, some links & a fix.with a downloadable VB script (this essentially will do what the MS KB article recommends doing manually) that I can verify 100% that did work with the default XP Search, I just tested is with an .mht file on a basic XP that I just loaded up from an image.As for the Netscape Browsers not supporting it, I can say that an old Netscape 4.79 series will open an .mht file, but it'll loose some of the formatting, but I don't know about the later Netscape\Mozilla series.Not having really changed over to Windows XP from Windows 2000 yet (still playing with it), I was not aware of this particular *whatever* so thanks for posting and bringing to my attention :)I forgot to mention that in order to *work* with Web Archives (create\pack & unpack), you must have Office 2000 or later installed *AND* the Microsoft Office 2000 Web Archive add-on which is available for download @:Microsoft Office 2000 Web Archive add-onGood luck B)

Thankyou Sluggo, but unfortunately your advise didn't solve my problem when searching text in .mht files in Windows XP Professional.I got my own heureka moment and fixed the problem by adding two registry keys: :D HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\PersistentHandlerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mhtl\PersistentHandlerAs Default string values I used the same values as were in .htm and .html PersistentHandlers.I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem with XP?It's possible that I have created the problem myself by installing programs (I tried Scopeware Vision for example) or messing with default settings.

Thankyou Sluggo, but unfortunately your advise didn't solve my problem when searching text in .mht files in Windows XP Professional.I got my own heureka moment and fixed the problem by adding two registry keys: :D HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\PersistentHandlerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mhtl\PersistentHandlerAs Default string values I used the same values as were in .htm and .html PersistentHandlers.
Hi mergaThat's what the VB script @ Doug Knox's site that I suggested to you will do for youhttp://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp..._fix_search.htm However, as long as you've solved your problem that's good :D
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem with XP?It's possible that I have created the problem myself by installing programs (I tried Scopeware Vision for example) or messing with default settings.
No, you didn't create the problem, the MS KB article explained why the XP Search is setup like that :D