3rd Party Defragmentation Software

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Dear Windows folks,

I rarely use MS Windows, as most of you know. However, I noticed it slowing down a bit the last couple times I booted into it. All was OK app and resource wise. It's an up-to-date XP Pro system. It has a fully updated Win Essentials guarding the gates. I usually run it with Networking disabled, anyway.

I figured it may be a fragmented drive issue. Well, I was right. I hadn't ever defrag'd this set up, that I can remember. Like I said, I use it very rarely; game playing mostly. I think all the installs/removals of different game and patches and baloney may have fragged me up a bit.

Windows native defragger was always terribly slow and clunky. I couldn't remember what defrag software I used to use years ago, though. I did a quick search, and Lifehacker had a nice article about free defraggers. The one I chose to download was Auslogics - Disk Defrag 3 (free version). It was fast and efficient. My C drive and my other Windows and Fat32 common partitions were defrag'd in just a short time. All's well now.

Have any of you heard of this application? Have you used it? What do you use?

Thanks,

~a displaced penguin

Hi, Eric.

Since you have likely neglected that poor old Windows XP machine, how can you blame it for being a bit sluggish? ;)

Before you defrag, it is best to first clean temp files and additionally run the Windows Cleanup Tool. (Instructions for Windows XP: Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP).

My favorite tool for thoroughly cleaning temp files is Old Timer's Temp File Cleaner.

Instructions:

Download TFC by Old Timer from here (direct download): http://www.itxassoci...T-Tools/TFC.exe

• First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.[/li]
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

More info:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now you're ready to defrag!

Whether you use the built-in Windows tool or a third-party tool, make sure all programs are closed. If you use Defraggler (by Piriform, the makers of CCleaner), you can run it in Safe Mode.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Hi, Eric.

Since you have likely neglected that poor old Windows XP machine, how can you blame it for being a bit sluggish? ;)

Before you defrag, it is best to first clean temp files and additionally run the Windows Cleanup Tool. (Instructions for Windows XP: Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP).

My favorite tool for thoroughly cleaning temp files is Old Timer's Temp File Cleaner.

Instructions:

Download TFC by Old Timer from here (direct download): http://www.itxassoci...T-Tools/TFC.exe

• First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.[/li]
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

More info:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot% emp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now you're ready to defrag!

Whether you use the built-in Windows tool or a third-party tool, make sure all programs are closed. If you use Defraggler (by Piriform, the makers of CCleaner), you can run it in Safe Mode.

Thanks Corrine. I was just coming in to say the same thing LOL!

I really like being able to do defrag in Safe Mode because less items are running and a more thorough job can be done.

It is important to note the changes from Windows XP to Windows 7 when it comes to defrag. From Windows 7 Defrag Disk Selection]Disk Defragmentation – Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements:

Among the other changes under the hood in Windows 7 are the following:

• Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive – many files that could not be re-located in Windows Vista or earlier versions can now be optimally re-placed. In particular, a lot of work was done to make various NTFS metadata files movable. This ability to relocate NTFS metadata files also benefits volume shrink, since it enables the system to pack all files and file system metadata more closely and free up space “at the end” which can be reclaimed if required.
  • If solid-state media is detected, Windows disables defragmentation on that disk. The physical nature of solid-state media is such that defragmentation is not needed and in fact, could decrease overall media lifetime in certain cases.
  • By default, defragmentation is disabled on Windows Server 2008 R2 (the Windows 7 server release). Given the variability of server workloads, defragmentation should be enabled and scheduled only by an administrator who understands those workloads.

Note also that defrag in Safe Mode was disabled by design in Windows 7 specifically because there are a lot of drivers that are not loaded in Safe Mode.

Guest LilBambi

That's great that files that could not be re-located in earlier Windows versions are now able to do so in Windows 7 without having to go to Safe Mode. This allowed them the ability to disable in Safe Mode so drivers could be taken into consideration during Defragmentation.

I haven't even had to use defrag in Windows 7 so far on client computers.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi Corrine, and everyone...

Thanks for the tips. I had cleaned and swept out the refuse before attempting a defrag. All's well now. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

By the way, I don't neglect my Windows installations. They are always kept clean and up-to-date. I had gotten so use to Win 7's auto-defrag that I completely forgot that I need to be checking that Win XP installation every so often. ;)

Hello,

Auslogics has been around for about five years. From what I recall, it was started by some employees of an Australian anti-virus company that closed. I do not recall ever hearing anything bad about the company or its products.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, Aryeh.

I read numerous reviews before downloading it. I also read the EULA in its entirety before installing. It seems to be a relatively minimal app. It doesn't install (as long as you uncheck the boxes during installation) any unwanted baloney on your system. It's not trialware, so there's no nagging. However, additional "function" buttons are actually links to take you to their website to sell you other products; a small price to pay for a worthwhile piece of freeware.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmmm... getting a conversation started about something in the All Things Windows area brings out some old-timer Scot's members. I'm glad to see you guys (daveydoom, patio, etc.) around again.

I really should stop being such a BATL hermit and visit with you poor MS Windows folks from time to time. ;)

• Like 1