[arch-announce] End of initscripts support

ichase

I tried the first go around rebooting after moving rc.conf.pacsave to rc.conf while in maintenance mode. Reboot resulted in the same issue. I re-imaged the partition, performed updates today, went to the new rc.conf, rebooted and then made a new image. Will continue to do some reading about what may have happened. I can't be the only one that has run into this issue.

securitybreach

I tried the first go around rebooting after moving rc.conf.pacsave to rc.conf while in maintenance mode. Reboot resulted in the same issue. I re-imaged the partition, performed updates today, went to the new rc.conf, rebooted and then made a new image. Will continue to do some reading about what may have happened. I can't be the only one that has run into this issue.

So it works now?

No, actually it does not work. What I did was set up Arch to current updates and updated rc.conf with the updated initscripts/rc.conf. Then cloned the image.

I have troubleshot this down to replacing sysvinit with systemd-sysvcompat. Prior to removing initscripts I attemped a reboot. This resulted in the same issue of going into emergency mode and the radeon firmware being un-recognized even though it's obviously there.

So, I need to figure out why systemd-sysvcompat is not working with my current setup. The perverbial needle in the haystack.

One thing about the wiki that is confusing me is the use of ctl commands (timezonectl for example) you are told to use these to set up symlinks for certain packages but you can't use these until you have actually successfully rebooted into systemd. Though it does not tell you to do this.

For example: If you follow the wiki to use hostnamectl to creat your host name in /etc/hostname you get a Failed to issue method call error

[root@ichase~]# hostnamectl set-hostname ichase
Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1 

Hopefully tomorrow is a slow day and I can do some more reading. ANd you are right Eric, it could very well be an "Ian" specific issue. :)

Edited by ichase

Eric,

You are as hard headed as I am and I am as hard headed as you are. I'm not about to use the Nuke button because those of us that ARE hard headed are going to do what ever it takes to figure the issue out. :)

The thing about being an Arch Linux user as no two Arch builds are exactly the same so what may give one person issues, won't give anyone else issues. I can say this. I am NOT converting my Server. That is working awesome and there is no need to do updates or screw up a good thing. ;)

• Like 1

securitybreach

For example: If you follow the wiki to use hostnamectl to creat your host name in /etc/hostname you get a Failed to issue method call error

[root@ichase~]# hostnamectl set-hostname ichase
Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1 

Hopefully tomorrow is a slow day and I can do some more reading. ANd you are right Eric, it could very well be an "Ian" specific issue. :)

That is not needed, just edit the file and put your hostname in it. Nothing else is needed:

cat /etc/hostname 
Cerberus

I think you are over-complicating the procedure. Remember the wiki has options for everything but you do not need half of the options to get systemd working correctly. Or at least I did not.

V.T. Eric Layton

Awww... but nuking makes such pretty lights in the skies and later on... beautiful sunsets through the purple radioactive haze.

V.T. Eric Layton

In Slackware, it's a bit different...

vtel57@ericsbane05~:$ cat /etc/hosts
#
# hosts        This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#        mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#        used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#        On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#        "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
#        and any aliases to this file...
#
# By the way, Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra@nvg.unit.no> says that 127.0.0.1
# should NEVER be named with the name of the machine.  It causes problems
# for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)
#

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1        localhost
127.0.0.1        ericsbane05.ericsbane05 ericsbane05

# End of hosts.

securitybreach

/etc/hostname not /etc/hosts

Here is my /etc/hosts:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost Cerebus
::1        localhost.localdomain    localhost
192.168.x.xxx   xxxxx.localdomain xxxxx
# End of file

Josh, I was just using that as an example. I manually created my /etc/hostname, /etc/locale.conf, and my /etc/vconsole.conf but lets look at the wiki section for Timezone

Time zone

The time zone is configured by creating an appropriate /etc/localtime symlink, pointing to a zoneinfo file under /usr/share/zoneinfo/. To do this automatically:

# timedatectl set-timezone America/Toronto

See man 1 timedatectl and man 5 localtime for more details.

Alternatively, create the symlink yourself:

# ln -sf ../usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Toronto /etc/localtime

Well this results in the error I mentioned earlier. Same thing with setting the hardware clock. Using the "ctl" command is not going to work because you are not yet booted into a systemd setup?

Maybe I am over thinking it but I have read the wiki to the point I have the darn thing almost memorized and I am not seeing where I am missing a step. I also thought, now was a time to get abused. I posted on the Arch Forums so now I can get about 3 to 4 RTFM responses and a few Hey Idiot responses. :hysterical: You know I am right, many over there are not to nice. :)

Ok, Ok, I am a glutten for punishment. :)

Either way, I have every intent on conquering this issue as I did with learning SAMBA. Took awhile for the light bulb to illuminate but once it did, I wonder what I have done all these years with out a file and print server. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Wife also LOVES the fact that the 80 GB music collection is now accessable on the network. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

/etc/hostname not /etc/hosts

Here is my /etc/hosts:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address> <hostname.domain.org> <hostname>
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost Cerebus
::1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.x.xxx xxxxx.localdomain xxxxx
# End of file

No such file in Slackware. ;)

I'm pretty sure you meant glutton, Ian. It's funny, though... that word has been so often misspelled on the Net that it's become an entry in the Urban Dictionary --> http://www.urbandict...hp?term=glutten

Thank you for the Engrish Ression Professor Layton. :hysterical: I do try hard to use correct spelling and grammar though I do not always hit the mark. ;) Matter of fact, I am sometimes WAY OFF the mark. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I have an /etc/hosts in Slackware (see cat'd output above). It's /etc/hostname that I do not have. I do have it in Arch, though:

vtel57@ericsbane05~:$ cat /etc/hostname
ericsbane05

:)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm in Arch right now, but I mounted my Slack partition just to check that:

root@ericsbane05/home/vtel57:# cat /mnt/tmp/etc/HOSTNAME
ericsbane05.ericsbane05

Bruno still helping us when we need it. :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to state that I now have pure systemd up and running on the laptop. Took a while and thank god for clonezilla because it sure is nice to go back to where you started.

For anyone who reads this thread but does not post and if are you running into the same issues, here is the thread on the Arch Forums I started and just a short time ago set as "Solved"

Must say the boot time from start to tty has been cut in half with systemd. :thumbup:

All the best all and have a great weekend,

Ian

securitybreach

Excellent!!! Sorry I could not be more of a help but I do not have a whole lot of experience with systemd yet as I just set it up myself not too long ago. :)

Josh, no problem, before long we will all be systemd savy. I am guessing it must have been the fstab. Not sure if enabling the daemons via systemctl prior to performing the first reboot helped or not. But either way....It's working.

Now to take the lessons learned and apply them to the desktop. Did you have any issues with the multi-monitor set up Josh?

securitybreach

Did you have any issues with the multi-monitor set up Josh?

Well I used the Catalyst Control Center(amdcccle) to set them up but nothing changed when I installed systemd so dunno. Now I did have problems with the second video card and the 4th monitor but that was an issue with the Catalyst Control Center. I just manually added the second card's info to xorg.conf and it worked beautifully then. This was all before the systemd upgrade.

Sounds good, hopefully the desktop transition will be smooth based on what I have learned from the laptop.

Oh, wanted to mention one other thing. I remember Eric mentioning about automounting in Thunar. Thunar never automounted CDs or external devices, I always had to and prefered to mount at the command line. BUT, I checked it and Thunar now automounts the CD as well as the external hard drive. :thumbup:

I actually installed that way back when. But to be honest with you, I did not put a lot of effort getting stuff to automount in THunar. Once it did not work, I was fine continuing to mount via the command line. Still am. :)

• Like 1