Flux Capacity - Arch based live w/ Fluxbox

sunrat

Here's a new release that looks quite promising for a light install and systems with lower resources - Flux Capacity.

Edit - actually not so new, latest version 5.30 from Feb 2012, and 4.5 released in March 2011. Torrent link not working but the http download is fast.

Screenshot in VBox. Click for full size.

fluxcapacity.png

Conky (and free) report high memory usage of 637MB but top doesn't show where it's being used. :hmm:

It does seem very responsive and has quite a few useful apps included.

PS. I have been testing a beta of a very special distro that should be very interesting to fans of Debian and those people who loved KDE3 but have issues with KDE4 (you know who you are ;) ). I won't post it yet as the first release is due any day now.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yo, Ratus Solarus... what happened to Aptosid? I see that you're advertising for Siduction these days. What that all about?

Yo, Ratus Solarus... what happened to Aptosid? I see that you're advertising for Siduction these days. What that all about?

I just switched last week. Main reason - in aptosid I was getting random X freezes caused by the Nvidia driver, more likely caused by some config snafu than aptosid itself and it was quite an old install which I had subjected to lots of tweaking. Probably would have been fixed by a fresh install. Nobody else had reported it on the aptosid forum, and Nvidia is not officially supported anyway as they follow dfsg guidelines. No freeze so far in siduction.

Other reason - siduction seems a bit more community oriented rather than led by the devs.

Otherwise they are both just Debian sid with a bit of dev nursing.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah! OK. Sounds like a winner. One thing I've always wondered, though. Why don't folks just run Sid like I do? What's the advantage of the distros that are based on Sid? Are they a bit more polished or what?

Ah! OK. Sounds like a winner. One thing I've always wondered, though. Why don't folks just run Sid like I do? What's the advantage of the distros that are based on Sid? Are they a bit more polished or what?

I have an install of Kanotix on both my desktops -- it announces during boot that it is 'wheezy-sid'. A Kanotix iso will already have most of the apps I find essential, e.g., wine and VLC, more; requires less downloading after an install.

I have basically given up on getting a nvidia driver on them, though -- not sure why that doesn't work. I wish linux developers had fewer ego issues.

V.T. Eric Layton

I never had any issues with Nvidia drivers and Debian on my systems. I just manually install the drivers via Nvidia's installation script. The only disadantage to this is that if the kernel gets upgraded (rare in Debian), you have to manually reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

• Like 1

aptosid and siduction run their own small repos called "fixes". Anything that is broken in sid usually gets fixed rapidly and uploaded there, and often goes upstream eventually to sid itself. It's still essential to read the Upgrade Warnings in the forum though. They also host some specific tools such as Ceni which is an awesome network tool, like network-manager and wicd but cli. They both also roll their own kernel with SMP and PREEMPT. They also run as live CDs which sid doesn't, and have a very fast, easy installer.

Kanotix was one of the antecedents of siduction - Knoppix>Kanotix>sidux>aptosid>siduction. :)

Nvidia drivers in Debian are best installed with DKMS (the "Debian Way"). That way they are automatically downloaded/rebuilt every time the driver/xorg/kernel changes which is often once a week in siduction or aptosid.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, installing Nvidia via DKMS is the correct (or Debian) way to be sure. I'm just old and hard-headed. I don't use Debian for production work these days, so I don't worry about the occasional breakage in SID. It usually isn't long before it's fixed, anyway.