Scott Forstall, iOS VP, on his way out at Apple

Neil P

http://blogs.compute...nterface-design

Jony Ive, the guy who has designed most of the Apple hardware since the iMac (actually before that, to the Newton even), will be in charge of "human interface" while the iOS development will go to the same guy who leads OS X (I'm not sure if he was promoted to OS X at the same time, or has been in charge of it and they're just adding iOS to it).

Forstall was forced out after being the public face for the Maps debacle in iOS 6, and the Siri...disappointment, I guess. From the article, and I've seen it in a few other places too, the final straw was Forstall refusing to sign the apology Apple released a bit ago. Forstall said at WWDC that the Maps were the best ever, and things like that.

So basically this was a huge shakeup at Apple, moving execs and departments around.

It took me by surprise but I can't say that I'm disappointed. Forstall made iOS a fantastic product, but it seemed he was listing a bit. Maybe the death of Jobs, who was his buddy/ally, affected him more than other people. Or maybe he just lost his biggest ally and saw the writing on the wall. Either way, I'm excited to see what Ive and co. do in iOS 7 and beyond.

So this MacWorld article kind of outlines where everything is heading:

Jony Ive, previously in charge of hardware design, will now take over all design, hardware and software, or what Apple calls "human interface"

Craig Federighi, previously in charge of OS X, will get iOS added to his plate.

He doesn't get everything though, as Siri and Maps will go to Eddy Cue, "Internet Software and Services".

Finally, to quote directly:

Bob Mansfield will lead a new group, Technologies, which combines all of Apple’s wireless teams across the company in one organization, fostering innovation in this area at an even higher level.

It’s unclear exactly what falls under the purview of Mansfield’s Technologies group, but the broader implications are clear: Wireless technology is perhaps the most key component of Apple devices going forward.

In addition, "semiconductors" are Mansfield's purview now.

Mansfield made news recently, as he announced his retirement, and then just about 2 months later it was announced he was staying. With a reported $2 million a month salary.

This is all pretty inside baseball though.