Printer Install Errors

amenditman

I am trying to install Brother drivers on Mepis 64 bit and the .deb provided by manufacturer are 32 bit.

The Brother Solutions Center lists these instructions

For dpkg users:

1. Install the standard c library for 32bit applications (e.g. lib32stdc++6(Debian) or ia32-libs(Ubuntu))

2. Create some folders if it is required

2-1. Create /usr/lib/cups/filter if it does not exist.

Command1: mkdir /usr/lib/cups

Command2: mkdir /usr/lib/cups/filter

2-2. Create /usr/share/cups/model if it does not exist

Command: mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the drivers using "--force-architecture" or "--force-all"option.

4. Copy brlpdwrapperXXX files under /usr/lib/cups/filter/ to /usr/lib64/cups/filter/

Command: cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapper* /usr/lib64/cups/filter

5. Copy libbrXXXX files under /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib32/ if /usr/lib32 exists.

Command : cp /usr/lib/libbr* /usr/lib32/

Everything goes fine until I get to the install drivers step (3.)

Following the Cupswrapper Driver Install instructions

Command (for dpkg)  :  dpkg  -i  --force-all  (lpr-drivername)
Command (for dpkg)  :  dpkg  -i  --force-all  (cupswrapper-drivername)

First command runs fine and lpr driver installs.

Second command I get the following error output

[root@mepis1 Printer]# dpkg --force-all -i cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
(Reading database ... 100170 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cupswrapperdcp7065dn 2.0.4-2 (using cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb) ...
sh: Can't open /usr/local/Brother/Printer/DCP7065DN/cupswrapper/cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
sh: Can't open /usr/local/Brother/Printer/DCP7065DN/cupswrapper/cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4
dpkg: error processing cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

This is the step that creates the files to be moved in step 4, so it doesn't work.

Been Googling off and on for a couple hours and finding lots of weird Ubuntu stuff, but nothing related to driver installs.

Any ideas about what error 127 is and how to fix it.

This appears to be the problem. Check permissions and maybe move that directory if it exists already.

securitybreach

One of your problems is you have downloaded a package for the i386 architecture when you have a 64bit installation:

[root@mepis1 Printer]# dpkg --force-all -i cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:

package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

One of your problems is you have downloaded a package for the i386 architecture when you have a 64bit installation:

[/color][/b]

I appears Brother do not supply a 64 bit driver for this printer, hence the need to install 32 bit libs - http://welcome.solut...before.html#004

There are also lots of other "Pre-required Procedures". It looks like a minefield, and I would probably sell the printer and buy an HP or another better-supported printer if confronted with this.

I appears Brother do not supply a 64 bit driver for this printer, hence the need to install 32 bit libs - http://welcome.solut...before.html#004

There are also lots of other "Pre-required Procedures". It looks like a minefield, and I would probably sell the printer and buy an HP or another better-supported printer if confronted with this.

The pre-required procedures are not that complicated. It would only take about 15 minutes to do this start to finish if it wasn't failing at the install cupswrapper step.

Edited by amenditman

This appears to be the problem. Check permissions and maybe move that directory if it exists already.

While checking the permissions in the PATH leading to the file which is causing the error I found that the file is not located in that directory. Searching to see if it is installed somewhere else.

I used ark to extract the .deb and it yielded a folder called cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4.

In that folder are control.tar.gz, data.tar.gz, and a very small text file.

When I extract the control.tar.gz it yields a control text file (with info about the driver), a text file of md5 checksums, and three rm scripts.

When I extract the data.tar.gz it yields a /usr folder with the PATH and file referenced by the error.

Can I just copy the /Brother/Printer/DCP7065DN/cupswrapper/cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4 into my /usr/local folder?

I think that will solve the current error.

Edit

I went ahead and just tried this. What's the worst that could happen?

The cupswrapper install finished without errors.

On with the instructions.

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 1

Yes, the cupswrapper installed without errors.

The last step of the instructions says

5. Copy libbrXXXX files under /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib32/ if /usr/lib32 exists.
Command : cp /usr/lib/libbr* /usr/lib32/

No libbr files exist. Don't know if this is a problem or not.

securitybreach

Sounds like you need the libbrisa package:

BRisa is a project focused on the development of UPnP technologies. It provides an API to building UPnP devices, services and control points.

CUPS web interface finds the printer and the driver.

When I try to print a test page I get

["Unable to open /usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8: No such file or directory"

It is unable to open it because it does not exist.

I am going to try re-installing the cups packages.

EDIT

Before re-installing CUPS packages I tried to print from LibreOffice (a real world test as opposed to the Cups web interface).

I can print pdf's, odt's, and doc's.

It's weird that the Cups web interface failed to print, but I can live with that (I can't remember ever needing to print from it). :hysterical:

Edited by amenditman

Maybe what Josh said about BRisa is your key for that? Hard to say.

Probably not, no packages related to it in my repos and I did not install anything from the project's site.

The big problem was that one of the install scripts was supposed to place some directories and files into the /usr/local directory and it did not happen. Finding that due to sunrat advising to check permissions and manually putting them there seems to be the solution for now.

securitybreach

Well I have to agree. After using Linux for years, I have found that HP + Linux = printing without any hassles.

That said, I have gotten Brother's printers working on Linux.

Did I hear someone say Hewlett Packard?

Bob... tsk-tsk. You are a determined fellow. ;)

Eric, I have had great service from every HP printer I have ever used, and easy Linux setup.

But, I have no use for the company's Microsoft Partnership Agreements and OEM agreements with their hardware vendors (read those as criminal syndicates). My last Windows purchase was an HP Vista machine which I technically had the right to downgrade to XP Pro but not the ability to do so because HP prohibited ASUS from telling me what chips they used on the OEM motherboard they manufactured under a license agreement. Last HP printer I had used a lot of color ink to print black only text, they could have made that known without the need of a class action lawsuit.

I think I'll choose to take my chances elsewhere until I find a company that can make a profit and still treat customers as the valuable resource they are (rare at this time).

securitybreach

I know what you mean but HP Is one of the few big companies that sell computers with Linux preinstalled. That and they have completely open sourced their WebOS platform. Since getting the new CEO, they have been a lot more open about things. So maybe they are getting better.