New version of Internet Explorer

Tushman

Why would you be surprised? When Windows 7 came out it had IE 8 and the downloadable version for XP was released soon after. Mind you when IE 9 was released there was no Windows XP version. If Windows 8 has IE 10 it stands to reason that Microsoft would quickly make IE 10 for Windows 7 available.

Because not every new desktop OS released by Microsoft has included a new IE version. Do you remember a new version of IE being included with Vista? I don't. However, there is no surprise with MS deciding to make v10 compatible with older versions of Windows such as Win7.

True, Vista shipped with IE7, which actually debuted 3 months before the OS did. But I would count that as a new browser. And IE6 was released 2 months before XP. ME had IE5.5. Window 98 SE had IE5. Windows 98 shipped with IE4. Windows 7 shipped with IE8 two months before it was available to XP. In most cases the new web browser either shipped with a new OS as its debut, or ± a few months of the new OS.

Of course it counts as a new version - why wouldn't it? The fact still remains, that it was not package as part of the new OS at that time (Vista).

Well I beg to differ because IE7 was in the Vista betas and release candidates so for all intents an purposes IE7 was "packaged" in Vista. The fact that the XP version was released 3 months before Vista shipped is just a chronological issue.

Edited by Tushman
There are polite ways of disagreeing with someone without being abusive. Also, was asked to edit and he refused, so it is removed. ~ Admins

abarbarian, even though you do not use it, you should update it to v 8 on XP and v 9 on Win 7. Better to keep it patched.

I have never even opened up IE in me 7. Was thinking of uninstalling it completely as I only use 7 for gaming. :breakfast:

Unfortunately, you can not unistall IE (except perhaps in Win 7; at one point all the European versions did not have IE. I'm not sure about other countries). You can hide it but it is entwined within windows and presents a security hazard.

Edited by zlim

Actually because of the European decision, Windows/Microsoft update does not depend on IE in Win 7 as it does in all the other version of Windows.

Unfortunately, you can not unistall IE (except perhaps in Win 7; at one point all the European versions did not have IE. I'm not sure about other countries). You can hide it but it is entwined within windows and presents a security hazard.

looks like you can uninstall IE an yer right IE is a security black hole.

:Laughing:

That will remove IE 9, which was an update, but then you have IE 8 on your Win 7 computer. :'(

Since IE 9 is more secure (? not my words) it is probably better to stay with the newest version.

What we need is a tutorial to remove ALL versions of IE on Windows 7. I'm not sure it is doable, at least in the US. It is probably very doable in other countries.

That will remove IE 9, which was an update, but then you have IE 8 on your Win 7 computer. :'(

Since IE 9 is more secure (? not my words) it is probably better to stay with the newest version.

What we need is a tutorial to remove ALL versions of IE on Windows 7. I'm not sure it is doable, at least in the US. It is probably very doable in other countries.

You could always disable IE8.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2734/uninstall-disable-delete-internet-explorer-8-from-windows-7/

:shifty:

Unfortunately, that only hides it - it is still tied in with Windows. (Turning a feature off, doesn't uninstall it). I set FF as my default browser on all the computers without hiding IE in the program listing which I suspect is the same thing.

Guest LilBambi

You could always have a software firewall that only allows IE when you allow it to talk to the internet.

A very good one might be PrivacyWare's Privatefirewall (it is free)*

I have been trying it out on a laptop with Windows XP Home and it works quite well.

*Thanks again to Corrine for mentioning it which encouraged me to try it.

My old version of Zone Alarm, running on several computers doesn't let IE out. It always has to ask my permission. (I only fire it up for Windows/Microsoft Updates). I give it one time permission only. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, that only hides it - it is still tied in with Windows. (Turning a feature off, doesn't uninstall it). I set FF as my default browser on all the computers without hiding IE in the program listing which I suspect is the same thing.

I think it does a little more than the "making a default browser". Looks like you have a workable solution with Zone Alarm. Had not realised that Windows was different for you across the pond. Just thinking about Windows makes my head hurt, if I did not want it for gaming it would be gone. I'd much rather beat me brains out with .config files etc etc at least that way I can see whats going on and can fix things if I need to.

Penguins forever. :pirate:

Hello,

I pretty much exclusively use Mozilla Firefox these days, but there are times when I do use Microsoft Internet Explorer. As a result, I keep it fully-patched on any system that I operate.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...