Buy American?

lewmur

Guest LilBambi

Well, when you work for someone else you pay 1/2 the Social Security and Medicare payments, your boss pays the other half.

Self employed, no matter how small the business pays both halves...in other words double what those who pay for someone else pays.

And don't get me started on healthcare...what healthcare?!

V.T. Eric Layton

Don't tell her I said so, but yer mum's wrong. Rich folks don't get paychecks. They have "an income", but it's not in the form of a paycheck. Only those of us who work for a living get paychecks. Board members and CEOs get salaries and dividends. Politicians get bribes. Lawyers get retainers. The Queen Mum gets an allowance. Et cetera... ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Speaking of buying American...

I needed to purchase some old fashioned kitchen matches today. My old box of Diamond Fire Chiefs was pretty much kaput. Any good arsonist will tell you that Diamond Brand matches were always the best. ;) I didn't expect to find anything but Chinese matches when I went to Walmart this morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find a box of Diamond Brand (still made in the USA) GreenLight kitchen matches. I was so pleasantly surprised that I sent Diamond Brands a letter expressing my joy that they were still in business using American workers to make matches from American materials.

Go out and support this company. Throw away your Chinese cigarette and grill lighters and buy a box of well-made (in the USA) Diamond Brand matches. For you foreign type folks, send me money and I'll be happy to buy and ship you some of these matches. :yes:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a spokesman for Diamond Brands nor was I compensated in any way for posting this here. :)

DISCLAIMER: I am not a spokesman for Diamond Brands nor was I compensated in any way for posting this here. :)

Says the guy who will be getting a shipment of fine matches for the trouble of endorsing them... lol

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

I light my kerosene lamps and a candle every now and then or heat up some shrink wrap out in the shop. That box I bought today will probably be a ten year supply. ;)

I bought a box of these Diamond brand matches when my wife and I moved into our house in 1985. They are still going strong today, less than half gone. We don't use many.

Guest LilBambi

Dimond Brand are great matches and guess what I found from their website:

Diamond™ goes to great lengths to make matches that work the way you need them to, which is why we have been the #1 match brand for over 125 years.

Here's a list of places you can still get them:

Ace Hardware

Albertsons

Big Lots

Bi Mart

CVS

Demoulas

Do It Best

Family Dollar

Food Lion

Fred's

Golub Corp

Hannaford

Harris-Teeter

HEB

Home Depot

Ingles Market

K Mart

Kroger

Lowes

Meijer

Menards

Metro Rich

Mills Fleet Farm

Nash Finch

Publix

Sobey's

Spartan

SuperValu

Target

Tree Of Life

Truserv

Wakefern

Wal-mart

Wegmans

Winn-Dixie

Zellers

Ok so can anyone tell me where I can buy pickles that aren't made in China? Haven't found any in the big grocery stores here in Eastern Canada :(

Mt. Olive brand pickles are made in the US of A, North Carolina Edited by amenditman

Guest LilBambi

Or you can order from their website via phone: Mt. Olive Pickles products

Their Shop page info:

Shop Mt. Olive

We do not currently offer online ordering. But, you can always order by phone from our Gift Shop. We have available for order our gift packs, both Standard and No Sugar Added, any of our 12 oz. and 16 oz. items, and any of our gift shop merchandise. Click here for the 2011 Gift Pack Brochure. To order, call us at 800.672.5041. Our operating hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, EST.

If you would like to be notified when we have online ordering available, use our Contact Form to join our email mailing list.

Thank you!

Likely cheaper at stores since they only do 'gift packs' ... sigh...

Cluttermagnet

Being a wood burner, I am by coincidence in the market for some Diamond matches right now. I have seen them at Wally World, though not recently. Also easy to find at most supermarkets. I'm not out yet, but getting low and looking to get some more. At about one a day for starting fires in the wood stove, a three pack is a year or two's supply for me.

It's been wood burning season for about two weeks here. I love those warm fires. Gets pretty toasty in the living room, tops 80 degrees F when the stove is running hard. I run a couple of fans strategically placed to get the heated air circulating all around the first floor. Sure beats the current high cost of number 2 heating oil!

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey! The Diamond folks sent me an email requesting my mailing address so they could send me a bunch of coupons and freebie offers. COOL! :)

Hey! The Diamond folks sent me an email requesting my mailing address so they could send me a bunch of coupons and freebie offers. COOL! :)

Very nice. Now that's the way to promote American products. :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Diamond sent me a coupon for a free box of matches (up to $3.00). Very cool! It seems a simple email to a company sometimes gets you a nice reward. :)