Formatting HTML

Agent007

hi all,Can someone recommend a tool which will format HTML code? Since I code HTML in notepad, it looks all messed up...checking for syntax errors etc is not important...TIA

~shivers at the thougt of notepad for html editor~
That's what we use around here to teach. If you do it in Dreamweaver or other program, the students don't have the code memorized well enough to pass the state end of course exam!Julia :D

I agree with that - I used homesite for most of my stuff - did the coding in homesite. Now DW bought Homesite, but I still use the coding window instead of the gui window in DW.

Guest LilBambi

If you are used to Notepad for HTML editing, you would probably really enjoy the ease of use of Crimson Editor.I load a browser with the page I am editing in Crimson Editor, do some editing and refresh the browser window to see the changes. Works great.SonicDragon mentioned Crimson Editor a while back, I tried it out and really liked it alot. I have been using it quite a bit for HTML editing ever since. It's price is right too! Free.Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will give it a try here to see how it works. If I really like it I will have the students use it later in the semester for my applications classes.Julia :rolleyes:

SonicDragon mentioned Crimson Editor a while back, I tried it out and really liked it alot.
Awww thanks! I don't like useing notepad because i really like syntax highlighting. It makes things so much easier for me ;) Another great (more advanced) editor is HTML-Kit. It is absolutely feature packed! In HTML-Kit, i believe there is a feature to correctly format code called HTML Tidy. Hope that helps ;)!

Would that be anything like the free HTML Tidy utility?
A ha! That must be it. I guess they just sort of built the program into HTML-Kit (which is also free). Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Using HTML-Kit in your work? Get time-saving pro add-ons and support the development efforts at the same time by registering.
I guess they have a "pro" version now with some extra features. The free one is still there:Download PageI've always used the free one... i didn't even realize that they had a pro version :) Sorry for the confusion :)

Guest LilBambi

HTML Tidy is included in several HTML editing programs. Of the ones I have, it is in my free version of HTML-kit too, and it is also part of First Page 2000.

I've always used the free one... i didn't even realize that they had a pro versionĀ  Sorry for the confusion
Not a problem. I just hate installing software that keeps flashing a registration reminder or times out after a period. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Thanks for all the info guys....I tried out many tools/editors. But they'd make a mess of the code since it would usually parse the HTML through some form of validation or syntax checking and then do the formatting. What I wanted was only the formatting and not validation for w3c standards etc...So, after much digging around, I got hold of Dreamweaver, pasted the code and formated the code..It worked great! and did the job without any fuss...LilBambi, thanks for that crimson editor link. Btw, does word wrap need to be enabled?thanks..

Guest LilBambi
LilBambi, thanks for that crimson editor link. Btw, does word wrap need to be enabled?
I turn word wrap on and off at will. I generally edit HTML with it off, but the word wrap comes in handy for many things too, since it is a multipurpose editor. :P