IDF: Intel says Clover Trail will not work with Linux - The Inquirer

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

IDF: Intel says Clover Trail will not work with Linux - The Inquirer

Banks on Microsoft's marketing for x86 tablet sales

CHIPMAKER Intel has confirmed that it will not provide support for Linux on its Clover Trail Atom chip.

Intel's Clover Trail Atom processor can be seen in various nondescript laptops around IDF and the firm provided a lot of architectural details on the chip, confirming details such as dual-core and a number of power states. However Intel said Clover Trail "is a Windows 8 chip" and that "the chip cannot run Linux".

What happened to OS agnostic hardware, particularly processors and motherboards? We are back to this crap! Again!

That is so old hat. It went out with Mandrake 7 Linux. What was what? 12 years ago? Or was it longer since I couldn't afford to upgrade my annoying 'Made for Windows" motherboard/processor for a couple years.

I am SOOOO disappointed that Intel is turning back to being like this. They have been moving in the other direction for so long. We finally had been able to sigh relief on hardware coming from Intel as they were really trying hard to be OS agnostic, or so it seemed.

Thanks for nothing. Guess it's back to AMD. Sigh...

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, I know that they say there's no technical way they can prevent it, but think about this. Trusted Computing Platform. Intel makes the means, Microsoft creates the way.

EFI BIOS locked down hardware so only their OS can run on it.

I can see that anything that runs this chip will be left on the store shelves by many because it will be locked at the BIOS level to only run Windows.

Wanta bet that will be or not be true?

Isn't this what EFI BIOS was really all about? Not security like they try to say to get people to buy into it, but the money. It's always about the money. And Microsoft wants to be another Apple. Lock in the hardware.

Where will that leave ANY other OS that could technically run on the hardware if it weren't for Trusted Computing lockin?

Think about it. First Apple. Now Microsoft. Can you feel the walls closing in? What's left hardware wise if they do this?

Guess it will be back to AMD and hope they are wiser than their Intel counterparts.

Intel...they were so pro open hardware providing drivers for their devices when others were less accommodating.

So we go back to the late 90s-2000 era of not only 'made for Windows' or 'made for Apple' but locked in to not allow any other OS by EFI BIOS...Trusted Computing Platform strikes their real goal.

Follow the money.

securitybreach

Well what is confusing is that Intel is one of the largest contributors to open source software and Linux. Surely this is just a marketing ploy. >_

securitybreach

• Second-largest contributor to the Linux kernel

• Ongoing leadership in upstream contributions through the Intel Open Source Technology Center, enhancing user experiences and advancing numerous projects

• Key maintainer roles in a large number of Linux-related projects

• Platinum member of the Linux Foundation and sponsor, chair, or member in key initiatives, including OASIS,* OHA, Mobile, Desktop, Carrier Grade, GRID, and Xen*

• Active participation in standards bodies such as the Linux Standards Base

• Deep involvement in key decision-making forums, including the Linux Kernel Summit, Desktop Summit, and Ottawa Linux Symposium

http://software.inte...page=quickfacts

I'd be reluctant to make to much out of this. It isn't as if Intel is saying they are going to stop making chips to serve the Linux market. It would appear to me that all they are saying is that they are going to make one particular line of chips designed specifically for the Window 8 netbook/tablet market. Nothing to panic about.

And I think my opinion of MS and Intel is clear. I haven't bought a product from either one in years.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

securitybreach

I'd be reluctant to make to much out of this. It isn't as if Intel is saying they are going to stop making chips to serve the Linux market. It would appear to me that all they are saying is that they are going to make one particular line of chips designed specifically for the Window 8 netbook/tablet market. Nothing to panic about.

Agreed!!

Intel's had some Linux clangers in the past, like the horrid GMA 500 graphics that is so Linux unfriendly it took 3 years to come up with a semi-decent kernel based driver. It still has no 3D capabiity.

Intel even allowed Dell to make a Linux pre-installed model using this adapter. Dell had to kludge the operating system to get it to work with no upgrade path possible.

I prefer Intel to be honest upfront so we don't get any more Franken-Linux products using this processor. Better to identify the exception rather than assume the Rule applies universally.

• Like 1

And I think my opinion of MS and Intel is clear. I haven't bought a product from either one in years.

Those of you concerned about this might want to read this article. Seems this chip isn't destined to be a big deal anyway.

Guest LilBambi

This chip may be the first in a long line of two steps forward, three steps back moves so Microsoft can become the next big Apple styled controlled hardware, software, vendor lockin.

That's all I am saying really. We need to let them know we don't want this kind of lockin crap for the long haul. Or there will be few if any crossover/dualboot computers in the future.

This chip may be the first in a long line of two steps forward, three steps back moves so Microsoft can become the next big Apple styled controlled hardware, software, vendor lockin.

That's all I am saying really. We need to let them know we don't want this kind of lockin crap for the long haul. Or there will be few if any crossover/dualboot computers in the future.

I have no doubt that wintel would like to reestablish their virtual monoply. But, IMO, there is no way they are going to get the genie back in the bottle. There are too many other option today. Even if MS succeeds in locking down Win8 hardware, Win7 will still be around for a long time. Face it. MS still hasn't been able to kill XP. And locking down Win8 just might be the final push that moves the business community into the ARMs of FOSS. The only things tying business to MS now are Office and legacy apps. Push business into accepting OO or LO instead of Office and running their legacy apps in a virtual session, and MS has bitten off their own foot.

Agreed. But we can't take it lying down. We have to have a voice and speak our piece about it. ;)

I'm by no means recommending we take it lying down. But when you put it next to what govts are doing with intellectual property nonsense, such as the Apple vs Samsung patent decision, it pales in comparison. Personally, I find it obscene that anyone thinks patents and copyrights protect the individual artist or inventor. It is almost always the big company or organization that scoops up the money at the detriment of the general public. And this is from a diehard conservative. I just don't find much difference between big govt and big business. They both use their power to suppress individual initiative.