Gnobuntu?

V.T. Eric Layton

Ha-ha! What a name!

Well, it was easy enough to add GNOME Shell to Ubuntu 12.04. Maybe this spin is for folks who hate Unity so much that they don't even want the option to log into a it?

Is this simply going to be Ubuntu with the Gnome Shell? Why not just install Debian Wheezy? Or will it be MATE based or going back to good old Gnome 2.X?

According to the link that Eric posted (post#1);

PC World - Earlier this month fans of the good old GNOME 2 desktop environment got some exciting news when it became clear that a version of Ubuntu Linux featuring the classic desktop was in the works.

Yes but if you follow the links in that link it looks as if the Gnobuntu or whatever will be based on Gnome 3 and maybe have the classic Gnome fallback. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Yes but if you follow the links in that link it looks as if the Gnobuntu or whatever will be based on Gnome 3 and maybe have the classic Gnome fallback. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

So you were right ray. It will come with Gnome3. I am downloading the Alpha2 right now and will try it in Vbox later on this evening.

In any case, even with Ubuntu it's easy enough to just add whatever you want, although I guess a lot of people don't like to go that route. As I mentioned above, I simply installed GNOME Shell in Ubuntu 12.04 I later added Openbox.

Anyway, in Ubuntu I go back and forth between using GNOME Shell, Openbox, and Unity. I'm too easy; I like everything. :cool:

I have never installed Ubuntu, but it is apparent MANY people really enjoy it. I have tried Gnome and for some reason to me, it just appears for lack of a better word: Cartoony I must admit though, I am impressed with KDE look and feel but not to the point of running it. Thought about it on the lappy I got when I was going to install 64 bit Arch but after 1 hard drive 3 motherboards, 3 re-installation of Windows 7 Pro (this lappy was going to dual role as a work and personal computer) and STILL getting BSODs, that kind of went out the window. (Parden the pun) :)

• Like 1

I have never installed Ubuntu, but it is apparent MANY people really enjoy it.

It's one of a few different distros I use here. It seems that MANY people don't like Ubuntu, but it's been working out fine here for over six years now. Put it like this, there's no way I'd still be running it here if it was as awful for me as it seems to be for some other people.

Maybe it's just that I've been fortunate with Linux-friendly hardware. And maybe part of it is that I generally stick with only LTS releases. Or else it's that I'm extremely lucky (or else too easy, as I joked earlier). :hmm:

Edited by saturnian

I have to remember that I am not the only person in the house using the computers - I share them with a technophobe who gets upset if Thunderbird's interface has a slight tweak.

She's accepted Gnome 2.x and Xfce in the past, and so far no problems with Linux Mint Cinnamon. I think Unity or Gnome Shell might be a bit too far outside her comfort zone. Openbox is out of the question.

Besides that, I have tried but I just don't like Gnome Shell or Unity. I enjoyed Gnome 2.x a lot and both MATE and Cinnamon give me that look and feel. For lighter situations I've always stuck with Xfce or IceWM if the machine was really old and resources challenged.

Edited by raymac46