Manjaro Linux: Arch Linux For Beginners

abarbarian

http://www.muktware....rch-linux-noobs

So What Is This Manjaro Linux?

Müller explains, "Manjaro Linux is a Linux Distribution based on well tested snapshots of the Arch Linux repositories and will be 100% compatible with Arch. We manage our repository with our own developed tool called BoxIt which is designed like git."

The goal of the project is to "create a light Linux distribution which is simple, up to date, fast, user friendly and which follows the K.I.S.S principle," says Müller.

Thought this might interest some folk. :breakfast:

securitybreach

We try to avoid using the N word around here:

We try to avoid the word ¨newbie¨, it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification." --Bruno

We try to avoid using the N word around here:

[/font][/color]

Ah ha yes. I missed the N****** in the title. I can not say I am in favour of Arch derivatives in general and especially those who maintain their own repositarys. Whilst it is nice to encourage new users to Arch I personally feel that their efforts and energy would be better spent on Arch itself. :cool:

• Like 1

securitybreach
Whilst it is nice to encourage new users to Arch I personally feel that their efforts and energy would be better spent on Arch itself. :cool:

I completely agree :thumbup:

No better way to explore Arch and get the full appreciation of Arch.......Unless you install........Arch. ;)

Like abarbarian's title says "I did and I am really happy" :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Interesting. Nice to have an easy install for Xfce/Arch. I wonder why the developer left Chakra?

In other news from the same site, Chakra has a new release with KDE 4.9.

Well Chakra is no longer based upon Archlinux but instead it has became a fork of Archlinux:

Chakra was initiated by KDEmod developers who decided to create a live CD based on Arch Linux. The objective of Chakra was to provide a desktop operating system easy to use but which maintains all the features, clarity, power and responsiveness of Arch Linux.

On August 30, 2010 the Chakra team released their first independent version, called Chakra GNU/Linux 0.2. It is no longer a preconfigured Arch Linux live CD.

http://en.wikipedia....cite_note-0.2-6

We've been working hard since March 2010 on Chakra GNU/Linux. Ten developers hacking, packing and writing documentations for our new distribution. Chakra is a fork of Arch Linux. We are using Pacman but working on our own package management called 'akabei'. Since the split we created some confusion but we are going in the right direction....

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06251

Isn't Charka also moving away from i686 structure and going x86_64 only? Tried to instll the Manjaro KDE version. Had an issue with the disk partitioner ..thinking was just rushing through and missed something (usually something I know better than to miss). oF course there's always doing a "real" Arch install. :D