problem with flash player

réjean

Hi all!

I had to replace my motherboard and reinstall some distros ( mainly all ). Most new distros don't like my nvidia geForce FX5500 and I have a Rage 128Pro Ultra 32M SDR which is (I think a PCI Express) but it doesn't fit in the slot.

So right now I have managed to install PCLinuxOS -Gnome 2010.07 which works fairly well except for Synaptic and among others Flash-player-plugin.

I am trying to install the latest (and probably last one to be) 11.1 but I get this message;

fash-player-plugin11.1:

Depends: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) (<=4.4.6-1) but it is not installable

Any way around it?

P.S. I forgot to say the new motherboard is a gigabyte ga-g41mt-s2pt and that I also tried installing the old geFoorce 6200 which had gone bad but I thought maybe the old motherboard was the real problem but it didn't fit in the slot either.

Edited by réjean

I tried;

[root@localhost ~]# aptupgrade
-bash: aptupgrade: command not found
[root@localhost ~]#

and then;

[root@localhost ~]# apt-upgrade
-bash: apt-upgrade: command not found

and using your link I get a 404 Page not found

Hi all!

I had to replace my motherboard and reinstall some distros ( mainly all ). Most new distros don't like my nvidia geForce FX5500 and I have a Rage 128Pro Ultra 32M SDR which is (I think a PCI Express) but it doesn't fit in the slot.

So right now I have managed to install PCLinuxOS -Gnome 2010.07 which works fairly well except for Synaptic and among others Flash-player-plugin.

I am trying to install the latest (and probably last one to be) 11.1 but I get this message;

Any way around it?

Maybe ... I have never used synaptic to install a flash player plugin. All you need to do is to download the xxx.tar.gz from Adobe, uncompress it to extract the one file 'libflashplayer.so' which you then copy into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. Restart your browser and it should be there.

securitybreach

http://www.xfilescab...aptupgrade.html

Also it was mentioned here as well: http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=46438

Please be advised all users of PCLinuxOS will need to install and run aptupgrade when it appears in the software repository. This script will upgrade your PCLinuxOS system to the latest rpm, apt-get and Synaptic Package Manager. This update cannot be performed through the Synaptic Package Manager. Another notice will be posted when the package is available for installation. If you fail to install and run aptupgrade, your Synaptic Packager Manager will eventually fail to run as the new file list created by the updated apt-get is not backward compatible with the old apt-get file list. This is the easiest solution to avoid requiring everyone to do a clean installation. Eventually yum and YumEx frontend will appear as an alternative Package manager but creating the repository list for it at this time needs work.

but "apt-get upgrade" is working. And so far;

Fetched 351MB in 17m42s (331kB/s)											 
Committing changes...
Preparing  

Edited by réjean

I tried;

[root@localhost ~]# aptupgrade
-bash: aptupgrade: command not found
[root@localhost ~]#

and then;

[root@localhost ~]# apt-upgrade
-bash: apt-upgrade: command not found

and using your link I get a 404 Page not found

Command should be 'apt-get update' and then maybe apt-get upgrade if that's what you really wanted to do. Of course, that requires that a repository exists at the address that apt-get knows about. I would not be surprised that a 2010 distro install has old addresses, particularly with PCL.

securitybreach

Command should be 'apt-get update' and then maybe apt-get upgrade if that's what you really wanted to do. Of course, that requires that a repository exists at the address that apt-get knows about. I would not be surprised that a 2010 distro install has old addresses, particularly with PCL.

Read my quote above, this is not the same thing as apt-get upgrade.

Maybe ... I have never used synaptic to install a flash player plugin. All you need to do is to download the xxx.tar.gz from Adobe, uncompress it to extract the one file 'libflashplayer.so' which you then copy into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. Restart your browser and it should be there.

I had done that also, as suggested by Bruno, but it didn't work. Now, probably too late because I have the feeling that "apt-get upgrade" will mess up my install, I somewhat recall that doing it your way took a few rebooting to work. I'll see and let you kno.

Done.
[root@localhost ~]#

and now the dreaded reboot.

securitybreach

http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=46438

Posting this in case any PCLOS users missed this important announcement:

Texstar (the main PCLos Developer), from June 12th:

Please be advised all users of PCLinuxOS will need to install and run aptupgrade when it appears in the software repository. This script will upgrade your PCLinuxOS system to the latest rpm, apt-get and Synaptic Package Manager. This update cannot be performed through the Synaptic Package Manager. Another notice will be posted when the package is available for installation. If you fail to install and run aptupgrade, your Synaptic Packager Manager will eventually fail to run as the new file list created by the updated apt-get is not backward compatible with the old apt-get file list. This is the easiest solution to avoid requiring everyone to do a clean installation. Eventually yum and YumEx frontend will appear as an alternative Package manager but creating the repository list for it at this time needs work.

securitybreach
Title: Solved: error Depends: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) I installed and ran aptupgrade

Post by: corazon on November 11, 2011, 10:02:37 AM

If I choose the full synaptic update, it says it will delete most of the system.

If I choose to update any single app, it says: "Depends: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) (

A long synaptic terminal output says rpm settype 276

This is the light E17 pclinuxos, and the kernel is 2.6.38.3-pclos1.pae.bfs

I don't mind doing a new install, but this is pretty weird. It's been about 2 months since I

used synaptic.

I'll try reloading from a different repository.

Edit: changed repos, and it says I have broken held packages...three printing apps are

shown as broken, out of the blue, since I have never used a printer on this system!

I'll remove them, and try again...

also found two RPM::Ignore entries, removed those, tried a few repos, still getting

the payload error, or delete the world option...might be time to reinstall :-\

Title: Re: synaptic: Depends: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) (

Post by: menotu on November 11, 2011, 10:23:36 AM

Have you run aptupgrade?

Please see:

http://www.pclinuxos...ic,92661.0.html (http://www.pclinuxos...ic,92661.0.html)

Title: Re: synaptic: Depends: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) (

Post by: corazon on November 11, 2011, 10:36:22 AM

Thankyou, super villain, I'll give that a try! 8)

edit That worked as advertised. Thanks for the reminder!

Says you must install and run aptupgrade, not apt-get upgrade or anyother apt-get switch.

Otherwise you will get this error all the time on updates. Manually installing flash does not fix your issue.

Well!

Upon rebooting several times I do get a bootloader where I can choose PCLinuxOS-Gnome or CentOS 6.2 (which I am using right now) and then I get a blue bar scrolling at the bottom which I have seen in some of the latest distros that I have installed and says booting the system ( so I assume it is the new kernel because it wasn't there earlier today), then I get a screen which says welcome to localhost... and has an icon on the left with my name and a list of options like "language, session,action, configure, start " and s few others. If I click on my name it then comes to the screen with my chosen Desktop image and an a pointer with a circle running around it but nothing else, no icons, no panel.

Is there still hope?

and by the way Josh I do appreciate your assistance but after trying 3 times ( the way you posted it "aptupgrade" didn't work).

securitybreach

and by the way Josh I do appreciate your assistance but after trying 3 times ( the way you posted it "aptupgrade" didn't work).

You had to install it first as per the first link I gave you on post #6 : http://www.xfilescab...aptupgrade.html

I hate to say it but it sounds as though you borked your install. It could probably be fixed but it may just be easier to install from an updated iso. If you had a separate partition for /home then it will be a simple process.

securitybreach

Also:

Forgot To Run aptupgrade? Don't Panic!

Several months ago, there was a “demand” from PCLinuxOS devs to install and run the aptupgrade package. This was a crucial package. Everywhere on the forum, there were reminders about doing this. Why was it so important? Because it was upgrading apt, rpm and their libraries. Also, Synaptic Package Manager was upgraded.

Whoever did not upgrade it in time (they had a few months’ window) should reinstall with a fresh copy of the latest iso after creating a list of all the installed apps and backing up their /home folder. Why? Because the packages created using the latest rpm would not be compatible with the systems that were not upgraded.

That was the suggested solution. Reinstall. BUT what if you do not want to or cannot install from scratch due to many personal tweaks and/or for any other valid reasons?

If you are desperate/brave/crazy enough (like me) and you are willing to take some risks (like me) – please continue reading. I don’t have to tell you that I won’t take any responsibility for a borked system right? Right....

http://pclosmag.com/...207/page04.html

That said, unfortunately I think it may be too late for your installation as you tried to run apt-get upgrade before aptupgrade. Of course, I could be incorrect about that.

Guest LilBambi

And sounds like before apt-get update too that would have updated the repos before trying to do an upgrade.

Might want to start fresh maybe...

So I reinstalled PCLinuxOS-Gnome 2010.07( after attempting 4-5 to install 2010.12 unsuccesfully) and followed Josh's recommendations and I am now back to post#1. I also tried burninbush's suggestion again with the same result.

I don't know what else to say or do.

That distro version is over two years old. I just checked at the PCLinuxOS downloads page and there is not a Gnome version on offer.

Get PCLinuxOS

PCLinuxOS is available featuring various desktop interfaces depending on your needs.

KDE Desktop

The following are PCLinuxOS community releases by members of the PCLinuxOS community.

LXDE Desktop

XFCE Desktop

Full Monty Desktop

Suggest you try a 2012 version with another, supported, desktop environment. XFCE is similar to the old Gnome. LXDE is very fast and light for older hardware.

securitybreach

That distro version is over two years old. I just checked at the PCLinuxOS downloads page and there is not a Gnome version on offer.

Suggest you try a 2012 version with another, supported, desktop environment. XFCE is similar to the old Gnome. LXDE is very fast and light for older hardware.

Yeah, I did not notice that you were running a two year old version of PCLinuxOS. You have to remember that there is only one main developer of PclinuxOS (Texstar) so he does not support previous versions for very long. PCLos uses a partial rolling release cycle which means that if you do not keep up with the updates/versions, you will end up with a broken system sort of like if you do not do the Arch updates.

Honestly, if you want a distro that is supported for a long time without upgrading, I would go with something like Debian or Slackware as a rolling distro needs to be regularly updated or it will break.

I am still in the hunt for something newer that would work on my machine. In the last 5 days or so I have downloaded, burnt and tried to install;

PCLinuxOS-Gnome 2012.12

OpenSUSE12.1 Gnomex86 -64 bit

LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon -64bit

PCLinuxOS2012 KDE -64bit

LinuxMint13 Cinnamon -32bit

PCLinux miniZen 11-11.1

PCLinuxOS miniZen 2012 -64bit

Right now CentOS 6.2 -x86-64 bit is the other distro that works on my machine. I'll give Slackware a try and Debian.

In the meantime I've got flash working except for the sound. I have pulse audio enable and the driver for my onboard sound card is "snd_hda_intel". There is no more available PCI slot for a separate audio card.

On older hardware there is nothing better than Anti-X, a derivative of Mepis. That gets you a fully functioning version of Debian Testing on your older, hard to fit machine.

securitybreach

In the meantime I've got flash working except for the sound. I have pulse audio enable and the driver for my onboard sound card is "snd_hda_intel". There is no more available PCI slot for a separate audio card.

Perhaps:

OK, OK this is the solution:

you need to edit ~/.asoundrc and add:

pcm.pulse {

type pulse

}

ctl.pulse {

type pulse

}

pcm.!default {

type pulse

}

ctl.!default {

type pulse

}

to it.

This sets ALSA to use Pulse Audio sink (or something like this, I'm pisted because I had to install PA so I don't feel like exploring right now).

Now restart. Voila! It works.

http://www.pclinuxos...?topic=108001.0

Also what is the output from?

pulse-enable

Is sound working apart from Flash?

here;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ pulse-enable
bash: pulse-enable: command not found
[rejean@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost ~]#  pulse-enable

and trying to open a music cd tells me that "audio files" permissions could not be determined with a lock on the upper right corner.

I downloaded slackware 64-13.37 and will attempt to install it this evening and I'll keep in mind the other distros.

Edited by réjean

securitybreach

here;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ pulse-enable
[rejean@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost ~]#  pulse-enable

Yeah, do not worry about that command. Did you add the info to asoundrc like I mentioned on post #24

I did it, rebooted and it is still there, then I increased the volume from the icon at the right of the top panel and tried listening to http://www.cbc.ca/li...ey=cape_breton. Since it didn't work I did a "alsaconf" and tried to listen again but not luck.

I tried listening to a music cd but after being asked what I want to open the cd with and choosing using rythmbox music player nothing happens. If I open Computer and click on the cd-dvd drive I see an icon for the tracks with a closed lock. I am just about ready to give up.

P.S. I've downloaded slackware and try to install it tonight.

Edited by réjean