Just ONE Linux

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

If tomorrow there was a world-wide edict stating that all GNU/Linux users must choose just one and only one distribution to run on all their systems from now till whenever, what distribution would you choose?

What DE/WM would you choose?

What browser/email client would you choose?

In my case, of course...

• Slackware
  • Xfce
  • Firefox/Thunderbird

... but you knew that. ;)

Debian

KDE

Iceweasel/Icedove (aka Firefox/Thunderbird)

Of course it ain't gonna happen, and I still would like Xfce or LXDE for audio workstation, and maybe Enlightenment for my netbook.

Debian, Xfce, and Chromium/Gmail.

But I'd cheat. I'd add KDE4's Dolphin and KSnapshot, and I'd also add Geany for text editing.

Edited by saturnian

One version for the entire world and has to run on huge variety of systems from supercomputers to Eric's watch to a school in a third world country. There is no other choice.

Debian

LXDE

Firefox/Webmail (running on all those Debian servers)

Not necessarily what I want to run on all my devices, but you said one for the whole world.

Current like is Porteus ... which is to say, Slackware with union filesystem and precompiled apps (and dependencies) in modules. Couldn't be simpler to use or to upgrade. Old-fashioned Slack protocols still work find if you prefer to make your own modules.

And second the kudos for Firefox and Thunderbird.

32b Porteus is currently featuring Trinity 3.5.12 -- a non-factory update of KDE3. Also comes with LXDE and XFCE, probably also Fluxbox, and you can get KDE4 if you really want it.

Guest LilBambi

KDE4 is great now! I don't use the desktop as a widget area. I don't care for that. I want to be able to do standard shortcut/links to programs even for my customized things that open with other items.

KDE is great, I use it on my computers, but it is not quite ready for an all architecture, all form factor release. LXDE, while not optimized for a touch screen, did work pretty well for my ArchLinux install on the HP TouchPad tablet.

Guest LilBambi

Very true. I use LXDE on my netbook. And have KDE and xfce on everything else. I really like xfce too, it's very customizable. I have Gnome mostly but mainly just the libs, etc. needed to run my Gnome apps that I have run in KDE since the early days.

securitybreach

Well if I could have only one, I think I would go with Slackware or Debian as they are the best all around distros in my opinion. As far as the WM/DE, I am not really for sure as that is a hard one. There are so many great ones available. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

One version for the entire world and has to run on huge variety of systems from supercomputers to Eric's watch to a school in a third world country. There is no other choice.

Debian

LXDE

Firefox/Webmail (running on all those Debian servers)

Not necessarily what I want to run on all my devices, but you said one for the whole world.

I didn't stipulate that there had to be just one Linux. I said that YOU, as an individual, could only choose one to use on all your systems. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! All this talk about how KDE 4 is so great these days (now that they've spent 3+ years supposedly working out the bugs ;) ), maybe I should give it a go again?

NAH! Just kidding! :lol:

Man! All this talk about how KDE 4 is so great these days (now that they've spent 3+ years supposedly working out the bugs ;) ), maybe I should give it a go again?

Wimp! :whistling:

Sounds like a challenge, or maybe a DARE! :)

If your scared.........say your scared!!!!!!! :hysterical:

Due to the fact that I DO use Arch w/ openbox on both of my primary machines, I call it the one OS for me. ;)

Edited by ichase

I didn't stipulate that there had to be just one Linux. I said that YOU, as an individual, could only choose one to use on all your systems. :yes:

OK, in that case.

ArchLinux (with systemd instead of sysvinit)

KDE4

Firefox/Webmail (on my own server)

I really like the look of PCLinuxOS Zen, Gnome and firefox. I too would want Ksnapshot and I like K3b for burning distros and having Iron browser open at the same time as FF.

A bit indecisive there, Mel. ;)

That is because I am still Experamenting. I like vector because it is fast and works on just about any old hardware where most of the latest distro's including Mint does not. I am leaning towards trying Slackware if it will run on older hardware..

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, being a Slacker, I'm partial to its many offspring like Vector, Zen, Salix, etc. However, if you would like to see fast, simple, and pretty all in one, try Bodhi Linux on that old hardware. It's Debian (Ubuntu) based. It's sleek, efficient, and lightweight; yet, it offers a veritable hoard of easy to install apps.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/index.php