Advice for cancer patient dropped from the health care system

amenditman

Many of you know who helios is, Ken Starks, a tireless FOSS advocate and student/admirer of Bruno's.

He has recently been treated for cancer in his throat and has been fighting another battle simultaneously.

He has been trying to keep some form of insurance coverage to not only pay part of the bills but also to be able to see doctors at all. I can tell you from my own recent experience that many doctors will not see cash patients. No insurance, no doctor.

Today, Ken received news that since he recently started drawing Social Security disabilty, he no longer qualifies for his local county run health insurance program. You can read all the details at his blog. He and Diane are in a serious catch 22 that is built into the system.

What I am looking for is some advice from the community on where he should turn next? Who should he call? Any useful advice from anyone who has been thru something like this or helped a family member or friend thru it would be a great help.

If you are a health care professional or insurance industry insider, PM me and we will discuss your ideas privately. (Wouldn't want anyone to loose their job over this.)

Thanks

Bob

Guest LilBambi

Thanks for posting Bob. That is tragic! And it's stupid the way this, so called system, works. Makes me so angry to see good people get hit like this. :bangin: :rant:

Ken Starks :hug:

Angry is an understatement!

What really gets me is that Ken is a veteran (very likely the job he did in the military is related to his multiple bouts with cancer) and the VA is not a solution for him.

Why isn't the VA healthcare system an option for him? Almost everyone is now eligible except those with bad discharge papers.

I have an answer for you. This is the email Diane sent me.

Thanks to a law passed when Clinton was in office, guys like Ken who did not go the full twenty or had a break in service are not eligible for benefits. Ken was in 19 years and had a 6 month break in service. We haven't given up completely as we have a VA adovcate working on it, but it looks pretty grave. Believe me Bob, I'm not willing to give up, The word "NO" is not in my vocabulary when it comes to the man I love. I'm trying to get the local VFW to at least do a benefit even if I have to shame them into doing it...

cleardot.gif

There you have it. Politics as usual.