SSH inventor warns that IT security's getting worse

V.T. Eric Layton

Most people do not realize that the "internet" was never invented (nor intended) for what it's being used now. It is only after the commercialization and conducting financial transactions online that security measures like SSL become commonplace. It's all a band-aid after thought process. Although Ylonen paints a rather doomsday picture, I have to agree that comsumer privacy is a thing of the past. A complete farce as far as I'm concerned. If you want privacy - go live under a rock. Anyone can steal private individual information. That includes passwords and anything else they can get their mittens on.

Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

That's true. Arpanet was a military project. The Internet that we know today is fast becoming a wholy-owned capitalist pig-dog sandbox. :(

Surfers of the world UNITE! Throw off the ISP yoke. Free Internet for FREE people! ;)

b67b5b01.jpg

That's true. Arpanet was a military project. The Internet that we know today is fast becoming a wholy-owned capitalist pig-dog sandbox. :(

Surfers of the world UNITE! Throw off the ISP yoke. Free Internet for FREE people! ;)

I'm all for an Internet that is free of ISP control.

How exactly is that going to happen? Community Broadband? Then the local government agency that runs that has control over your access.

Not really sure.

In the bad old days we had all our connections thru MaBell (or whoever your phone provider was), how was that much different than your ISP providing your access?

Like I said, I'm all for it. But how do we do it in a Free/Libre way so no corporate/government entity controls our access?

We need to launch our own satellite. ;)

Great idea. Then we can be the gatekeepers.

And we get to deal with the FBI/NSA/Homeland Security/MPAA/RIAA/etc. request for information nonsense.

On second thought, no thanks.

V.T. Eric Layton

Fiber-optic cable is pretty cheap. Maybe we could just lay down our own neighborhood networks. Oh, wait... better yet. Let's pirate Verizon's fiber. :pirate: