Slackware Current @ Beta - Eric Attempts Upgrades

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm going to grab Pat V.'s UPGRADE.TXT and the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT off the server and follow his step-by-step to upgrade my shop system to current. Once that's successful, I'll do the lappy. Lastly, I'll do my main system. When they're all running currrent, it'll be much less work to upgrade to the final release once it's out. It's the closest Slack comes to behaving like a rolling release when you do it this way.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm ftp'ing the Slackware64 packages directory straight off the U of Oregon Slack-Current server right now. :) Maybe when it's all nasty and rainy later this afternoon, I'll go out to the shop and attempt the upgrade on my shop system. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I decided to do the laptop first simply because it's cooler in here (AC). ;) It's upgrading as I type this. Should be done in a few more minutes, after which I'll need to merge/edit my config files and make sure my bootloader is set up to boot the new kernel. If all went well, I'll be running Slack Current on the lappy in just a little while. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, things didn't go as planned. I was so close, too.

I did the upgrade on the laptop. I rebooted. I just had a minor issue with loss of connectivity and no X starting. I figured it was a config file somewhere that I had boogered up, so I went about checking all of them against the backup copies. I managed to get networking back up and tried to upgrade all packages with slackpkg. It looked like it was going to work for a minute, then an error came up that I had two conflicting packages in /var/log/packages. I was offered the option to remove one. I chose to remove the older version.

That's when everything went kerflooey. I was getting bash errors and command not found errors for simple commands like ls and cat. Now root isn't being recognized as root. Slackpkg is completely broken. I can't ls or cat or cd while in the command line. It's doing other really strange stuff, too. You know what that means...

nuke-launch.png

0_61_nuclear_blast.jpg

Just as soon as Slack 14 is released, I'll be installing fresh on the laptop... and maybe the main system and the shop, too, seeing as how upgrading just went so ugly. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, Slack in the laptop is mostly restored. I just reinstalled Slack 13.37 and then copied my backed up /etc back into the root directory. I had to install a few missing apps, but had them on a separate partition or on Dropbox.

So, it wasn't a total nuke. Just a small tactical one. ;)

G'night all...

securitybreach

Yup, installing fresh is much safer than trying to upgrade. I dunno if this holds true as much now but Bruno told me that years ago so I continue to follow that advise. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

With most distributions, I would agree with you about clean installing over upgrades wholeheartedly. However, I had done 3 or 4 upgrades on my Slack systems in the past using Pat V.'s upgrade.txt instructions. It's always gone painlessly. I think it was my fault this time, though. I really think I screwed up a couple of my critical configs by merging rather than discretely editing them. I got lazy. And worse, I lost track of the steps I took, so I couldn't backtrack. Umm... n**bie mistake, for sure. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes. That is kinda' my plan. We'll see... maybe later this afternoon I'll give it a go again. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the unorthodox slackpkg method did not work for me either. I could boot, but there were many dmesg errors and no X. I think I'll just wait till the stable release comes out and fresh install. If I don't wipe /home and hang on to backups of my config files, it's not too difficult to get everything back up and running.

Alternately, I may just stick with v13.37 for a while. I don't have any complaints about it. Works pretty well, actually. :yes:

We'll see...

securitybreach

Well, the unorthodox slackpkg method did not work for me either. I could boot, but there were many dmesg errors and no X. I think I'll just wait till the stable release comes out and fresh install. If I don't wipe /home and hang on to backups of my config files, it's not too difficult to get everything back up and running.

Sounds like a good plan :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

There's no real hurry. Slack is so stable that you can run versions for years without issues. It's only those who want that shiny new stuff who are driven to upgrade on every release.

V.T. Eric Layton

What a nightmare. I had totally borked my ericslaptop-01 Slackware setup trying to upgrade. I restored it once and then borked it again. This last time, though, I could not restore using my backup /etc. Well, upon closer inspection earlier today, I realized why. When I copied /etc to back it up, whichever method I used to copy it (GUI or command line, I don't remember), the permissions were not respected. All folders and files in /etc were set to 755. That caused Slack to puke in my lap while booting. Once I figured it out, I had to spend the better part of this evening correcting the permissions in /etc.

Whew! My fingers are sore. I'm now able to boot into my recovered laptop Slack and am now updating. This is 13.37 still, though. After trashing this set up twice in as many days, I'm not sure I want to do it again. Maybe I'll just leave it alone till 14 gets released. I might not even upgrade then. Aw, phooey! Sure I will. :)

I'm going to bed as soon as I check to see that all is well after the updates that are happening right now.

G'night all... and have a wonderful weekend! :)

securitybreach

Whew! My fingers are sore. I'm now able to boot into my recovered laptop Slack and am now updating. This is 13.37 still, though. After trashing this set up twice in as many days, I'm not sure I want to do it again. Maybe I'll just leave it alone till 14 gets released. I might not even upgrade then. Aw, phooey! Sure I will. :)

I'm going to bed as soon as I check to see that all is well after the updates that are happening right now.

G'night all... and have a wonderful weekend! :)

Sounds like you had some fun, :hysterical: B)

I have not tried it but there is this :restore_fileperms_from_manifest.sh

Excellent, thanks a lot!!! :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

That is an interesting script, AO. I may experiment with it on the already boogered up /etc_backup. I'm not sure I understand the creation of the manifest file, though. :(

:yes: I'll report back...

By the way, Alan Hicks is the lead author of Slackware Linux Essentials 2nd Edition. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

By the way, Alan Hicks is the lead author of Slackware Linux Essentials 2nd Edition. :)

Very cool!! :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Earlier today, using friend chrisretusn's (from my board) slackpkg upgrade method, I managed to upgrade my shop system's Slackware 13.37 installation to Current. Upgrading via wireless G connection is a bit slow; better than dial-up, though. ;)

Anyway, it's up and running and stabilized. I have some minor config edits and other polishing up to do over the next couple days. It's HOT out in that shop in the daytime, though. I might just ssh into my shop system from my main system in here in the AC and make those edits that way. SSH is a wonderful thing! :yes:

Once I get the method and the polishing all settled, I'm going to attempt the laptop again. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll be sshing in the shop system in just a few minutes. After which, I'll use "slackpkg new-config" to parse and edit my new config files.

Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! I love ssh. :)

I sat in the comfort of my air-conditioned house on my main system and did all the configuration work on my shop system that was running out there in the hot workshop.

Anywho, I'm sweating now because I came out to the shop to reboot and make sure everything was working properly. It seems to be OK. YAY!

So, ericsshop02 is officially running Slackware Current (14).

Next up... ericslaptop01. That's inside in the AC, though. ;)

I'm headed there now...

securitybreach

Man! I love ssh. :)

I sat in the comfort of my air-conditioned house on my main system and did all the configuration work on my shop system that was running out there in the hot workshop.

Anywho, I'm sweating now because I came out to the shop to reboot and make sure everything was working properly. It seems to be OK. YAY!

So, ericsshop02 is officially running Slackware Current (14).

Next up... ericslaptop01. That's inside in the AC, though. ;)

I'm headed there now...

Well you could of rebooted it from within the nice comfy house and then waited a minute to ssh back in. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Speaking of borking...

I was on such a roll with the shop system's upgrade today, that I thought I'd give the laptop another go. Well, the first attempt didn't go to well. Reinstall Slack 13.37 (4th time in three days). Gonna' try again tomorrow, I guess.

G'night...

securitybreach

Speaking of borking...

I was on such a roll with the shop system's upgrade today, that I thought I'd give the laptop another go. Well, the first attempt didn't go to well. Reinstall Slack 13.37 (4th time in three days). Gonna' try again tomorrow, I guess.

G'night...

Sounds like you need to follow Ian's guide as well ;)