http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/07/a-new-anti-virus-using-linux-to-wipe.html

Jumpshot is a fully automated solution for solving Windows PC frustration. You plug one of the Jumpshot USB sticks into a Windows PC, reboot it, and magically all Trojans and viruses on the system will be destroyed.

Jumpshot is currently on Kickstarter. While initial goal was $25k, it has raised over $75k and 49 days are still left in campaign.

I do not know how good this will be but the concept and the graphics for the advert tickled me fancy. :Laughing:

Guest LilBambi

Very cool stuff! Linux to fix Windows. Not the first time that's been done. ;)

But to do it in an all encompassing solution like that is very cool!

Definitely an interesting project. However, keep in mind that there are times when the latest drivers are not the greatest. More than that, claiming "magically all Trojans and viruses on the system will be destroyed" is a bit over the top. No A/V or anti-malware app is that good.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

That's true. No cleaning tool from any OS can say that. Although it can do a pretty good job and maybe even better than ones that have to run on the running system, but you are right. None are that good to say 'magically all Trojans and viruses on the system will be destroyed." Course they don't say all rootkits/RATS. ;)

Love how they are making it "cute" and amusing. A cure for PTSD (Persistent Tech Support Disease). :D

Funding is going really well, $86,572 pledged of $25,000 goal so far.

V.T. Eric Layton

I thought that was a very imaginative and professional presentation. I was impressed. If I ran Windoze, I'd buy one just for fun... er, if I actually had any money. ;)

Hello,

I wonder what antivirus software they've licensed? I'm assuming they are not using Clam AV. It will be interesting to see how removal stacks up for some of the more complex things.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I thought they would use ClamAV. It will be interesting to follow the progress of this project anyway. They certainly have ambitious goals.

V.T. Eric Layton

They could be using anything, actually... AVG and Avast! both have Linux versions, as do other providers. While the thumb drive OS may be Linux, the anti-virus app is still searching for Windows virii and malware, so pretty much anything would work as long as it could be run in Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

I got in on this at the "early adopter" $30 level. It looks really cool. I'm excited to see how it works. Considering they are going to get around 5x what they initially asked for (they're at ~$120k and originally asked for $25k) they can probably do more than they originally promised.