Firefox 14 Launches With Secure Search and FF 15 will fix memory leak

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Firefox 14 Launches With Secure Search - WebProNews

Firefox 13 may have been the most substantial release of Firefox since moving to the new rapid release process and it will probably be the last one we’ll see for a while. The launch of Firefox 14 on Tuesday only brought a few new updates, but what’s there is good.

The big update for Firefox 14 is that Google searches are automatically sent through HTTPS by default. Here’s how team at Mozilla explained it when they introduced HTTPS search in Aurora two months ago:

Enabling HTTPS for these searches shields our users from network infrastructure that may be gathering data about the users or modifying/censoring their search results. Additionally, using HTTPS helps providers like Google remove information from the referrer string. While Google users may expect Google to know what they are searching for, Firefox users may not be aware these search terms are often transmitted to sites they visit when they click on items in the search results; enabling HTTPS search helps sites like Google strip this information from the HTTP referrer string, putting the user better in control of when and to whom their interests are shared.

Of interest for Mac users, Firefox now has full screen support on Mac OS X Lion. Here’s hoping that they add retina display support to Firefox soon. Chrome is already testing it and Firefox obviously doesn’t want to fall behind Chrome in features.

Much security fixes etc noted as well. It's not a big update but some fine additions, changes, fixes.

And there's more to come!

Firefox 15 Will Finally Fix Memory Leaks Caused By Add-Ons - WebProNews

Firefox 14 just came out earlier this week and brought some pretty neat stuff with it. At the time, I didn’t think that Firefox 15 would bring anything too groundbreaking to the digital table. I was wrong.

One of the major problems with current builds of Firefox is that some add-ons can cause massive memory leaks that forces the browser to consume a lot of memory. This slows down your computer which slows down your browser and then you switch to Chrome because you’ve had enough. The team at Mozilla is going to fix that problem in Firefox 15.

Finally!!! Thank you Mozilla Firefox Team!

V.T. Eric Layton

That's good news about fixing the mem leaks. It's about time. It's only been an issue for the last 5 years or so. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Yep! Of course it was not the browser itself but periphery add-ons that brought about the situation, but it behooves Firefox to correct this from their end. And I am so glad they have finally figured out how to correct that so addons no longer cause such a negative memory hit. :thumbsup:

That's good news about fixing the mem leaks. It's about time. It's only been an issue for the last 5 years or so. ;)

Indeed. I may even switch back if it is stable enough. :)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

This really used to kill me back in the day when I was running a Gig or less of RAM. Nowadays, running 4 Gig, not so much. Still, it's the principle of the thing. RAM is a terrible thing to waste. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Adam, might want to wait for FF 15 to come out if you are experiencing the memory leak.

I haven't really had a real problem with it but I don't leave the browser open all the time either. I cycle it frequently.