Xubuntu 12.0 Live

zlim

Can someone edit my topic? It is Xubuntu not Lubuntu!

I tried raymac's mentioned sofware, Linux Live or LiLi and created a 4GB boot stick for my eeepc netbook. (1 GB persistence).

It seems to work fine. I've only fired it up once and won't have the time to play with it today.

My problem: I can't seem to get flash installed. I used synaptic and it appeared to install but FF complains there are no plugins. (I think I tried it 3 times).

1. What repository should I choose?

2. What is the specific package?

Additional info. I fired Xubuntu up and had an information ! near the upper right.

This is what it says: The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed.

flashplugin-installer

The download will be attempted again later, or you can try the download again now. Running this command requires an active Internet connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I fired up FF just to check that I was auto connected to my home connection and I was was.

I clicked Run this action now. It takes me briefly to the console then back to the screen with the above info.

When I fire up FF, I get the additional plugins needed. I click that, as I did yesterday and get No suitable plugins were found.

Unknown plugin (application/x-shockwave-flash) and can click on manual install.

Edited by zlim

flashplugin-installer should do it. Once that package is installed it should download and install the flash plugin. Maybe try it from the terminal.

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

I don't have Xubuntu in Vbox but I was able to install flash in Debian Wheezy from the terminal:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

V.T. Eric Layton

You can delete post #1. I guess instead of editing, I replied to my own post. (head slap)

Can't delete first post in a thread, but can delete content. ;)

Bad news: ran the command and got

selecting flashplugin-installer instead of flashplugin-nonfree

flashplugin-installer is already the newest version

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

I still get the missing plugin bar at sites and still go through the same screens as mentioned yesterday.

Good news: I went to YouTube to see what would happen (this was my reason for trying a newer distro on a stick so I could view flash contents, if I wanted to). Well I see video and hear audio so I'm not sure what plugin FF really wants me to get.

I've culled bookmarks on my main desktop (XP) and imported them into Xubuntu so I think I have a decent distro to surf when I cart my netbook on a trip. I have the theme I like. So now it is getting the addons I use installed.

V.T. Eric Layton

You have a working flash plugin or you'd never see Youtube. As to which flash plugin, click on Ray's link or type about:plugins to your FF address window to see just what plugin you're using for flash. :)

One other suggestion:

Go into Synaptic. Mark flashplugin-installer for complete removal. Apply the changes. Reboot.

After that's done install xubuntu-restricted-extras. That should give you a bunch of nonfree fonts and codecs including flash.

You can also check Tools-Add-ons in FFs menu to see all plugins and extensions and their current status.

Edited by raymac46

When I fire up FF, I get the additional plugins needed. I click that, as I did yesterday and get No suitable plugins were found.

Unknown plugin (application/x-shockwave-flash) and can click on manual install. >zlim

++++++++++++++

Ahhh ... aren't shockwave and flash two different things? If I visit the adobe site, there are two tests -- as it shows, this Porteus I'm running doesn't do shockwave, but the flash test works fine.

In windows, my plugins lists shockwave flash v 11.3.300.265

When I take my windows computers (an XP and a 7) here: http://www.adobe.com...ckwave/welcome/

I do not have shockwave player installed in either computer and yet I get no popups that a plugin is missing like I do on my home (MyWay) page in linux.

I suspect the player and the plugin are two different things. I don't need the player (shockwave) to do what I want to in windows.

Today, I didn't get the information popup. But I still get "additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page.

In linux, my plugins list is empty. I see You don't have any add-ons of this type installed.

I just went to YouTube and got the "additional plugins message..." but I see the video and hear the audio.

So, I will let FF stand with no plugins yet YouTube works. If I discover, in the future that I can't see or hear something I want to, then I will make some changes.

Again thanks guys for all the suggestions. I know where to revisit this thread for suggestions in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm removing the flashplugin-installer.

This generates another error.

failed to detect canonical device of overlayfs

could not determine root device from /etc/fstab/tmp/mkinitramfs_m5KyqN/scripts/casper-bottom/48xubuntu_maybe_ubiquity

Can't open /scripts/casper-functions

Processing triggers for update-notifier-common ...

then it seems to stall

But it says at the top Successfully applied all changes.

You can close the window now.

I'll see what happens - if anything before I try to install the other thing raymac mentioned.

Well based on the appearance of the synaptic window, I think it was removed and nothing was broken. I guess I should skip reading the details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm now choosing to install xubuntu-restricted extras which has dependecies and 72 new packages will be installed.

Those seemed to install without a hitch, I'm now rebooting. Oops, I was typing this and forgot to press esc on the netbook so I'm now in Xandros/Debian.

I'm off to correct that mistake and fire up the stick instead of the netbook's ssd.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

The plain MyWay home page doesn't have anything special on it... just a bunch of javascript (Note: javascript is NOT Java... they are two totally different languages). It's possible that one of your custom-added widgets on that MyWay page is asking for an audio or video player in Linux like totem or mplayer.

I do have a custom start page. After doing what raymac suggested, the additional plugin needed message is gone. YES! THANKS! I peeked in addons and shockwave flash is now showing. :clap: :bounce: :thumbup: I'm a happy camper.

I have info now about the ttf-core fonts not downloaded at startup. Those don't bother me. I get the same problems with those in Xandros/Debian. I'll see if I can get them; if not, no biggie.

Sounds like some of that script stuff is because you have a USB stick Live install. Nevertheless if you're happy, we're happy, Liz!

In linux, my plugins list is empty. I see You don't have any add-ons of this type installed.

I just went to YouTube and got the "additional plugins message..." but I see the video and hear the audio.

YouTube can also display videos using the HTML5 <video> tag, no plugin needed. Maybe that's what is happening there.