Preferred application in XFCE not persisting

Neil P

In yet another of what I'm sure are simple questions:

I am using XFCE4 (4.10) as my desktop environment in Arch. When I click on the "Web Browser" shortcut in the dock, it asks, every time, what application to use. I want it to use google-chrome. I select it. On startup, Chrome says "Chrome isn't your default browser, would you like it to be" (or whatever the message is), I say yes, make default. On subsequent relaunches, I go through the same thing. The setting never sticks. Setting it through Settings -> Preferred Applications doesn't matter either. What am I doing wrong? Is it a permissions thing? I don't even know where to look. Searching google just takes me to the documentation on how it's supposed to work.

:(

securitybreach

I do not know how to do graphically but try running this command as user to set chrome as the default browser:

xdg-settings set default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop

Hmm. I ran the command and shut down Chrome and tried to launch it. The set preferred application dialog came up again. I picked Chrome and closed it. Launched again, and this time Chrome launched. I don't know if it's set default. I'm going to try starting xfce again and see if it works.

securitybreach

Hmm. I ran the command and shut down Chrome and tried to launch it. The set preferred application dialog came up again. I picked Chrome and closed it. Launched again, and this time Chrome launched. I don't know if it's set default. I'm going to try starting xfce again and see if it works.

Hopefully that fixed it for you :thumbsup:

I think it worked. I restarted xfce and it still worked, and I even rebooted and it worked. Chrome doesn't see itself as default (it still pops up the message) but it launches each time. Thanks!

securitybreach

I think it worked. I restarted xfce and it still worked, and I even rebooted and it worked. Chrome doesn't see itself as default (it still pops up the message) but it launches each time. Thanks!

Try going into the Chrome settings and click the box under Default Browser.

Try going into the Chrome settings and click the box under Default Browser.

Ok. It seems that Chrome somehow borks it. Setting it in Chrome is what causes the selector to come up when I launch "Web Browser". So I told Chrome to never ask me.

securitybreach

Ok. It seems that Chrome somehow borks it. Setting it in Chrome is what causes the selector to come up when I launch "Web Browser". So I told Chrome to never ask me.

Sounds like an issue with your Xfce version but I dunno. As long as it works, whatever :thumbsup:

So, is it OK now, Neil?

Yeah, it seems to be working fine now. The problem, I guess, was with Chrome trying to set itself as default. Once I set it in XFCE and ignore Chrome itself, it works.