How I Converted My Arch to 100% Systemd or...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

...How I Totally Borked My Arch Installation and Learned to Love the Bomb

Hokee-dokee, folks...

Since I can't seem to get auto-mounting to work anymore on my Arch installation and I'm still getting those annoying NOHZ soft_irq errors, I believe I'll completely convert my Arch installation from inits over to systemd today. If all goes well... YAY! If not, there are other remedies.

0_61_nuclear_blast.jpg

Stay tuned for the updates...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, here we go...

1) Install systemd from core using pacman:

#pacman -S systemd

2) I intend to run pure systemd, so I won't need to append my kernel line with "init=/bin/systemd" to get systemd to load at boot.

3) Installed via pacman: python2-dbus, python2-cairo, systemd-arch-units, systemd-sysvcompat (must remove sysvinit).

4) Removed initscripts.

5) Create the following files:

https://wiki.archlin...iguration_files

6) Cross fingers and reboot.

- system reboot failed... had to manually reset machine

- successful boot up - startx, but no network access - wicd daemon fails to start, but can be started manually.

=====

I'm posting this from Arch using systemd now. I'm sure there are issues other than the wicd daemon. We'll have to play around a bit more to see what's not working.

Stay tuned...

V.T. Eric Layton

DEBUGGING SESSION

1) No network startup at boot

- no dhcpd

- no wicd daemon

This is probably an issue with rc.conf and systemd's use of the DAEMONS array on that file. Solution so far - unknown. I can still manually start the wicd daemon from the command line once I'm in the GUI.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, as some of you may know, even though Arch is not my primary OS on my main system, I let Arch's GRUB (legacy) control my system's MBR on my #1 drive. With all this borking around with Arch going on, I was worried that I might lose my bootloader. So, I had this bright idea to install LILO in my primary OS (Slackware) and let it take over the MBR.

The problem is that LILO, in my opinion, just doesn't have the ability to boot odd installations like mine with multiple operating systems spread across three hard drives. Well, guess what... I got LILO installed and configured in Slackware to boot all my operating systems. There was only one problem. Only Slack would boot with USB keyboard and mouse support. Weird, huh? I even added the initrd line to LILO's entries. That didn't help at all.

So what now? No biggie, I thought. I'll just chroot from Slack into Arch and reinstall GRUB on the MBR. Hmm... I've done this before with great success. Tonight, it just didn't want to go easily. I ended up having to use a slightly different chroot method than I had used previously. I found it at this fellow's site --> http://www.hanckmann.net/?q=node/42 It worked wonderfully.

I'm back to using Arch's GRUB to boot my system. I'll just have to be careful to not bork it up again.

I'm tired of computering for the day. I still have network/wicd issues in Arch to resolve. I know it's just a configuration thing, but I'm so unfamiliar with systemd, that it's going to be challenge to find out how to fix all these bugaboos.

I'm off to beddy-bye... long bike ride tomorrow and no computers. ;)

securitybreach

So what now? No biggie, I thought. I'll just chroot from Slack into Arch and reinstall GRUB on the MBR. Hmm... I've done this before with great success. Tonight, it just didn't want to go easily. I ended up having to use a slightly different chroot method than I had used previously. I found it at this fellow's site --> http://www.hanckmann.net/?q=node/42 It worked wonderfully.

I'm back to using Arch's GRUB to boot my system. I'll just have to be careful to not bork it up again.

I'm tired of computering for the day. I still have network/wicd issues in Arch to resolve. I know it's just a configuration thing, but I'm so unfamiliar with systemd, that it's going to be challenge to find out how to fix all these bugaboos.

Excellent, that is the same link I use for chrooting in :thumbup:

amenditman
... long bike ride tomorrow and no computers. ;)
Nice! Glad to hear you are getting out on the road on two wheels. Any chance it's a big old hog?

Have you configured wpa-supplicant yet? :sweatingbullets:

Ray has a good point, about a week ago, wpa_supplicant was upgraded. The /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf was automatically saved as /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.pacsaved. I had to go to that file and save it as wpa_supplicant.conf so it worked with the upgraded wpa_supplicant package. I'm pretty confident you are using wext within wicd as it is most recommended. Wext looks to your wpa_supplicant.conf file. Just a suggestion but for an "old timer" you are already performing wonders in a short period of time. I do believe this "Lab Rat" will be living a long life. ;)

abarbarian

Lucky sod. Hope the sun do shine but not too hot . :good2:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nice! Glad to hear you are getting out on the road on two wheels. Any chance it's a big old hog?

Umm... how I wish! I miss my motorcycle something fierce. Thanks for reminding me, Bob. >_

V.T. Eric Layton
Ray has a good point...

Yes, that was a good suggestion. However, you guys must have missed it above where I stated that I can manually start the service. Once started all was well. The issue is that systemd does not utilize the rc.conf to start daemons reliably. You have to do something extra sometimes. I'll post about that in a minute.

...for an "old timer" you are already performing wonders in a short period of time. I do believe this "Lab Rat" will be living a long life. ;)

SQUEAK! Mouse_by_BioMechMoose.gif

V.T. Eric Layton

ISSUES

• wicd daemon not starting

-debug solution: must register the daemon with systemd

# systemctl enable wicd.service

• cups daemon not starting
  • ntpd daemon not starting
  • tor daemon not starting
  • et cetera not starting

-debug solution: must register daemons with systemd

# systemctl enable <daemon name>.service

• system time using UTC

-debug solution: create file /etc/adjtime

0.0 0.0 0.0
LOCAL

STILL NEEDING ATTENTION

• sensors not working
  • still not auto-mouting in thunar

+++++

I'm making progress! :)

abarbarian

Yes, that was a good suggestion. However, you guys must have missed it above where I stated that I can manually start the service. Once started all was well. The issue is that systemd does not utilize the rc.conf to start daemons reliably. You have to do something extra sometimes. I'll post about that in a minute.

SQUEAK! Mouse_by_BioMechMoose.gif

http://www.game-voyage.com/games/1b7/wack_a_rat_action.html

There is a plot afoot to get all rats. Beware. :hysterical:

amenditman

I'm glad, more and more, that auto-mounting is no kind of deal for me. This sounds like a project. Heck, you might even learn a thing or two in the process. o:)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm learning that systemd is not the terrible ogre that I thought it to be just a few days ago. It does have some advantages over the old inits system. It's more efficient, easier to manipulate, and faster. However, as with anything new, it has a learning curve. And actually, it's not new. It's been around for quite some time. I've read some articles about it going back to 2009 or so. There is a lot of documentation online about it. I think quite a few of the more progressive distributions have or will go this route. I understand that Pat V. has no plans to implement it any time soon in Slackware, so I guess by the time he does, I'll won't be a systemd virgin anymore (thanks to my current Arch adventure). Yes. I'm keeping notes. ;)

http://www.game-voya...rat_action.html

There is a plot afoot to get all rats. Beware. :hysterical:

Like I have two hours to burn playing that. Thanks. ;)

securitybreach

I'm learning that systemd is not the terrible ogre that I thought it to be just a few days ago. It does have some advantages over the old inits system. It's more efficient, easier to manipulate, and faster. However, as with anything new, it has a learning curve. And actually, it's not new. It's been around for quite some time. I've read some articles about it going back to 2009 or so. There is a lot of documentation online about it. I think quite a few of the more progressive distributions have or will go this route. I understand that Pat V. has no plans to implement it any time soon in Slackware, so I guess by the time he does, I'll won't be a systemd virgin anymore (thanks to my current Arch adventure). Yes. I'm keeping notes. ;)

Like I have two hours to burn playing that. Thanks. ;)

Excellent, I knew that you would not have a problem :thumbsup:

I may have to check out systemd pretty soon B)

BTW how is the mounting issue now? All resolved?

V.T. Eric Layton

I can mount. Never had a problem with that. It's just that my Thunar auto-mount no longer functions. :( I'm still working on a solution.

securitybreach

I can mount. Never had a problem with that. It's just that my Thunar auto-mount no longer functions. :( I'm still working on a solution.

Well that is what I was referring to ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I have no fear of flying with the command line, as you know. It's just that auto-mount is a convenience I liked, particularly with my mp3 player and CDs. :yes: I'll get it to work in systemd. You watch. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

ISSUE

• no auto-mount in thunar

-debug solution: installed python2-udiskie (an automounter app that works with udisks), added udiskie & before windows manager in .xinitrc.

STILL NEEDING ATTENTION

• sensors not working - need to find out how to load module in systemd
  • intermittent freeze at halt - system halts but does not power off

Man! Tons of progress today. I love my Arch again. :)

securitybreach

ISSUE

• no auto-mount in thunar

-debug solution: installed python2-udiskie (an automounter app that works with udisks), added udiskie & before windows manager in .xinitrc.

STILL NEEDING ATTENTION

• intermittent freeze at halt - system halts but does not power off

Man! Tons of progress today. I love my Arch again. :)

Excellent, I knew you would :thumbup:

While searching lm_sensors and systemd, I ran across this post from the Archlinux buglist: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25251?opened=7654&status%5B0%5D=

It may provide some incite into getting this working, or not :hysterical:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

AHA! What I needed to know was the name of the daemon/service. I thought it was sensorsd, but it's not. It's lm_sensors. WOO-HOO! Thanks, Josh! :yes:

ISSUE

-debug solution: register sensors daemon with systemd

# systemctl enable lm_sensors.service

STILL NEEDING ATTENTION

• nothing that I know of at the moment.

+++++

This has been a successful project. YAY! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

vtel57_Arch~:$ sensors -f
f71882fg-isa-0500
Adapter: ISA adapter
+3.3V:	    +3.34 V  
in1:		  +1.07 V  (max =  +2.04 V)
in2:		  +1.09 V  
in3:		  +0.87 V  
in4:		  +0.63 V  
in5:		  +0.45 V  
in6:		  +0.34 V  
3VSB:		 +3.36 V  
Vbat:		 +3.30 V  
fan1:	    3211 RPM
fan2:		   0 RPM  ALARM
fan3:		 644 RPM
fan4:		   0 RPM  ALARM
temp1:	   +114.8 F  (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)
				   (crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)  sensor = transistor
temp2:	   +258.8 F  (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)
				   (crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +483.8 F)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:	    +87.8 F  (high = +491.0 F, hyst = +487.4 F)
				   (crit = +491.0 F, hyst = +487.4 F)  sensor = transistor

NOTE: temp2 is a faulty mobo thermistor - disregard.

securitybreach

AHA! What I needed to know was the name of the daemon/service. I thought it was sensorsd, but it's not. It's lm_sensors. WOO-HOO! Thanks, Josh! :yes:

This has been a successful project. YAY! :)

No problem, glad I could help you out :thumbup:

B)