abarbarian

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

The 6th one down is from war torn Ukraine made only 11 months ago. Well done to those folks and I hope they can fight their way to peace soon. 😎

I almost nodded off watching the 6th one down but around the 03:10 mark, things starting getting interesting.  👁️👁️👍

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Make neofetch show  a correct entry for WM=WindowMaker - 2023

For all the thousands of Window Maker users out there I have found a way to make neofetch show an entry for " WM= ".

You can set neofetch through the ~/.config file to show your " WM ",

info "OS" distro
    info "Model" model
    info "WM" wm
    info "WM Theme" wm_theme
    #info "DE" de   
    #info "Theme" theme
    #info "Icons" icons
    info "Uptime" uptime
    info "Kernel" kernel
    info "Shell" shell

However the wm entry is left blank when you start neofetch.

Model: Z170X-Gaming 7 
                                            WM:
                                            Uptime: 56 mins 
                                            Kernel: 6.2.10-arch1-1 

To make your WindowMaker name to show you can add this to your .bashrc,

export  WM=windowmaker

this will show up as

Model: Z170X-Gaming 7 
                                            WM:wmaker
                                            Uptime: 56 mins 
                                            Kernel: 6.2.10-arch1-1 

Now that is better than nothing but not quite up to the mark for me. However if you go to

/usr/bin/neofetch

at around line 1897 you will see

# Rename window managers to their proper values.
    [[ $wm == *WINDOWMAKER* ]] && wm=wmaker
    [[ $wm == *GNOME*Shell* ]] && wm=Mutter

all you have to do is alter it to this

# Rename window managers to their proper values.
    [[ $wm == *WINDOWMAKER* ]] && wm=WindowMaker
    [[ $wm == *GNOME*Shell* ]] && wm=Mutter

an hey presto you have a proper entry in neofetch.

tG0PrA9.png

just my small contribution for the millions of Window Maker users out there. 😄

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just a couple of screenshots from Slackware users.

3oEfPLa.jpg

zJMfc3Y.jpg

The thing I notice most in all the Window Maker screenshots I have ever seen is the individuality of the images used for the Dock icons. 😎

• Like 1

BUTTONMAKER - Make a dockapp with icon for any program.

I have a new keyboard with led lights. You can set different profiles with it using openrgb. So my aim is to make a dockapp that will allow me to change the lights just with a click.

I run my games on workspace 2 on my Arch Window Maker set up. I have one dockapp for steam and the aim was to have several dockapps with different light settings for different games. I know you can open up orenrgb's gui and do that by changing the profile but I am lazy and would rather accomplish that with just the one click from a dockapp.

You can get a whole load of dockapps from

https://github.com/window-maker/dockapps

I chose buttonmaker

https://github.com/window-maker/dockapps/tree/master/buttonmaker

If you just type buttonmaker on the cli you get

buttonmaker version: 0.1
By Renan Vedovato Traba <rvt10@inf.ufpr.br>

-c, --command [CMD]      which command will be called 
        -i, --icon [ICON]        icon displayed
        -s, --size [SIZE]        size of the icon
        double click to run CMD
        right click to exit

eg:
buttonmaker -c sudo apt-get update -i TerminalGNUstep.tiff -s 32

which is quite handy as you have all the information you need to run the thing.

You will notice that images appear to need to be in .tiff format. I tried with .xmp and .jpg as I have a load of them on the pc. They did not work but are easy enough to convert with  ImageMagick like so,

convert Brain.xpm -resize 64x64 Brain.tiff

Easy enough. I p[laced the converted image in the home folder where I made and installed buttonmaker. I did this as I could not figure out where else to place it.

Next I ran buttonmaker from the cli with this,

buttonmaker -c "xterm -e openrgb -p home.orp -i Brain.tiff -s 64"

This opened up a dockapp which I added to my CLIP an set it like so

v615gK2.png

Notice that I have the middle button set as well as the left mouse button. Also I changed the command. Originally the dock settings showed

buttonmaker -c "xterm -e openrgb -p home.orp -i Brain.tiff -s 64"

changed to

xterm -e openrgb -p home.orp

So far this setup survives a reboot and it works ok. Left click gets me to my home lights and middle click gets me to my FPS light profile.

This is still a work in progress as I would like another dockapp with a left/middle choice for lights as I  have several different games on the go and it depends on my mood as to which I waste time away with.

I'll post back when I have done more testing. For now though I am happy to be a colourful bright spark.

t12702.gif

Edited by abarbarian
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

It's intriguing how obsessed you are with tweaking the visuals of your system. I installed Debian with KDE Plasma in Feb 2021 and have barely tweaked it visually since March 2021. Better things to do! 😀

8 hours ago, sunrat said:

It's intriguing how obsessed you are with tweaking the visuals of your system. I installed Debian with KDE Plasma in Feb 2021 and have barely tweaked it visually since March 2021. Better things to do! 😀

Hmmmmm. Yer right I guess I do come across as slightly obsessed.

Playing around with Window Maker is a fun and challenging a puzzle to solve. Figuring out how to do this that and the other keeps my old grey cell ticking over. I like to customise things I own to make them look and work in a way that fits me. Then I like to keep them that way and move on to the next project.

If my body was in better shape or I had more loot I would probably only use a pc rarely or possibly never.

😎

• +1 1

Hedon James
On 2/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, wa4chq said:

I almost nodded off watching the 6th one down but around the 03:10 mark, things starting getting interesting.  👁️👁️👍

Indeed!  I caught that too!  So interesting, in fact, that I may have to watch it again.  LOL!

I also am an "OK Boomer" type that needs to keep my brain working. When it comes to DEs though I generally just go with the defaults and use one of my photos for the wallpaper.

The exception is Debian where I like GNOME and its associated apps but I switched GDM  to LightDM, added a dock at the bottom, and changed "Activities" to "Applications" and "Places" (sorta like old GNOME2.) Gnome Shell Extensions make that type of tweaking easy enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Indeed!  I caught that too!  So interesting, in fact, that I may have to watch it again.  LOL!

I must be missing something as the 6th one down is from a chap in Indonesia. 🤔

46 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

I must be missing something as the 6th one down is from a chap in Indonesia. 🤔

I think something changed.....what had been there isn't.

13 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I think something changed.....what had been there isn't.

Odd indeed.As far as I can remember I have only added a couple more videos to the list and can not remember taking any out. 😯

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Odd indeed.As far as I can remember I have only added a couple more videos to the list and can not remember taking any out. 😯

Hmmm...maybe the order changed when you added the new ones. 

On 6/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, Hedon James said:

yeah....that's not it.  but it's interesting wallpaper!  LOL!

Ah yes the excellent Tai Chi reclining breathing exercise. The moving wallpaper was just an exercise to see if I could. It took some effort but was in the end a success.In practice in real time use I found all the moving wallpapers a tad distracting. So I changed focus and played around with xscreensaver. Initially just customising the program with its own tool set. You can fairly easily make some neat customised screensavers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOSRT1yLM0

Jumping to 16 mins in misses out the boring crud.

This led me to see if I could incorporate the moving wallpapers to act as screensavers. I have managed this with just one small glitch. So now I have a series of rather strange screensavers that loop through instead of the normal pipes or star scapes you usually get. This is still a work in progress and I hope to work more on this in the autumn and winter.

One part of that effort is to try and use the almost 1000 tux icons I have collected as a moving screensaver. This is just a quick and dirty start

https://mega.nz/file/ux90EYTQ#sLIl0JId3rRbYDCbBzm_XV6k_ikJQVH4JDCYvi09YjU

When the link opens in Mega you may just get a static image showing , I had to click on the image to start it running.

😋

More detail on giffs as screensavers here

Edited by abarbarian

Launch multiple instances of XTerm from one appicon?

Thanks for the update by Sara C. Pickett:

The easiest way to accomplish this is to open XTerm as normal,

Then go to the Attributes menu 

SFn4q4L.png

Then go to Application Specific and select no application icon for XTerm.

E0dS6Xa.png

Then right-click on the docked appicon and select Settings. Change the Application Path with arguments section to

TRLZOWL.png

xterm -bg black -fg white

or

/bin/sh -c "exec xterm &"    or   /usr/bin/xterm

I added to the Command for middle-click launch,

xterm -bg white -fg black -e htop

Now I can open multiple xterms from the dock app with a left click and am still able to open htop from a middle click.

Also did the same for pcmanfm and thunar,

/bin/sh -c "exec pcmanfm &"  ---- left click

/usr/bin/thunar  ------ middle click

ALSO

Holding the Ctrl key while clicking the docked icon
allows you to launch it multiple times.

Don't you just love Window Maker. 😋

Edited by abarbarian
  • Thanks 1

Window Maker Live

Window Maker Live is a Debian-based Linux distribution that applies the Window Maker window manager as the default graphical user interface and integrates well-known open-source components in an attractive and usable user interface. The distribution includes integrated GNOME components, as well as the Firefox web browser and the Thunderbird mail client both of which are enhanced with essential productivity add-ons.

Window Maker Live Linux Distribution

The Window Maker Live DVD is an installable Linux live ISO, and is based mostly on the recently released “Bookworm” branch of Debian. It relies on the Window Maker window manager as its default graphical user interface. It can also be considered as an alternative installation medium for Debian/Bookworm. As such, wmlive is fully compatible with and relies on the official Debian/Bookworm repositories for security updates and bug fixes.

Here is an english version of the video.

Window maker Live Home site

About time too the last update to this distro was in 2017. I have only watched the video but am impressed with the way they have set up the menus etc. Neat job. 😋

Edited by abarbarian
  • +1 1

23 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Pretty awful review. Modern day trashy content and delivery full of wrong facts and inaccuracies. 🤨

• Like 1

securitybreach
7 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Pretty awful review. Modern day trashy content and delivery full of wrong facts and inaccuracies. 🤨

Well that sucks. Maybe you should make a worthy one ;)

13 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Maybe you should make a worthy one ;)

Don't know about worthy but I was planning to do some Window Maker videos in the late autumn. Bit busy at the moment. 😎

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I am sure any review you make will be more valid considering your years of experience with Window Maker.

Thanks. I am not a WM ninja as there are still some basic things that baffle me about running WM.  Hopefully any videos I do will at least have accurate facts in them. Several comments about the video mention his factual inaccuracy. I have no problems with folk not liking or making fun of WM but it gets right up me nose when folk spread fud or false facts.

This is my comment about the video.

Pretty awful review about a fine os and a fine WM. Seems like the presenter can not read as it states on a page he was looking at that the last release of Window Maker Live was in 2017 . Presenter states that he has been on the Window Maker site and that Window maker has he thinks releases every year,he definitely can not read and understand then as, Window Maker 0.96.0 was released on August 5th 2023,Window Maker 0.95.9 was released on April 4th 2020,Window Maker 0.95.8 was released on March 11th 2017.Window Maker 0.95.7 was released on August 2nd 2015.Looks like his ability to count is on the fritz as well as the gap between 2023 and 2020 is 3 in my world. I might have had some respect for the presenter if he had called this " Making Fun of an old OS and WM ".

This guy makes a good point about this video which I feel can be applied to many articles and videos about linux theses days.

Kinda confused with all of these distro "reviews?", you're not really looking at system internals or how multiple distributions really differentiate themselves from one another; rather we're just seeing a stock desktop, you run the same few commands "htop, uname, etc", and then proceed to just looking at the wallpapers. There's nothing "wrong" with any of that, but this is all very very beginner Linux content. For example if I'm not mistaken, even a review for Ubuntu, and do correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't even point out the most significant option of installing the system on zfs, which is baked into a couple Ubuntu releases. Ig all I'm saying is every distribution works a little differently under the hood, instead of touching on those internals, we're looking at things like themes and wallpapers and what apps come preinstalled.....which are more or less the same on every distribution..

😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crp said:

i just wish the name would change. i still read it as Widow Maker.

Well, after 30 years of customizing desktops with THAT window manager (which has been around since the earliest days of Slackware & Debian), I'm sure there's more than a few guys who have died in that time period....and all were tinkering with their desktops as a never-ending hobby/quest.  So technically, Window Maker IS indeed a Widow Maker?!  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, abarbarian said:

Window maker Live Home site

About time too the last update to this distro was in 2017. I have only watched the video but am impressed with the way they have set up the menus etc. Neat job. 😋

Attempted to run this from Ventoy and it failed to run. As did EasyOS and MX-23. FoxClone ran perfectly from the same Ventoy usb stick. I guess one out of four is not too bad. 🤔

On 8/22/2023 at 3:50 AM, abarbarian said:

Attempted to run this from Ventoy and it failed to run. As did EasyOS and MX-23. FoxClone ran perfectly from the same Ventoy usb stick. I guess one out of four is not too bad. 🤔

Ventoy is great but it does do some 'workarounds' that some OS's will just not allow.

(i put Ventoy on a SSD and have a partition set aside for persistent storage and some program installs.

If you do troubleshooting, really a must have .)