Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft's new Surface tablets make a solid first impression - ZDNet - by Ed Bott

Summary: Microsoft’s new Surface tablets are exquisitely engineered, and no one can accuse them of being me-too products. Yesterday’s launch was impressive, but it also left many questions unanswered.

Excellent article.

My favorite part:

It’s a bold break from Microsoft’s classic business model. For years, Microsoft has been telling OEMs to pay attention to user experience, stop loading machines with crapware, and concentrate on a few great models instead of a full line of dozens of mediocre offerings. This introduction is the same message, delivered with genuine emotion and the equivalent of a punch in the gut: “OEMs, please pay attention. This is how you build a PC.

So true!

securitybreach

Looks like it will be really nice hardware anyway ;)

I watched the Cnet live blog of the event as the footage has not became available yet.

I do like the fact that microsoft is threatening to manage the builds of the 'Surface'. the zdNet columnist complaining about the competition to OEM's seem to be missing the point. In this device market, microsoft has no monopoly constriction concerns, they have shown they can do good hardware (mouse, keyboard,sidewinder,xbox) and this is Microsoft setting the hurdle to the OEMs - this is what you are going to have do better than. if the OEM's succeed , then microsoft gets benefits from the good vibes as well.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know much about these fancy tablet things? Do you erase the screen by turning it upside-down and shaking it? ;)

From what the folks on Gizmodo said, this tablet is going to be direct competitor to the iPad. It will be good for Apple to have some serious competition, especially in terms of build quality.

Adam

Looks like it will be really nice hardware anyway ;)

I watched the Cnet live blog of the event as the footage has not became available yet.

I was watching the C|Net live blog too as well as following Twitter. Until seeing Surface, I had no interest in tablets but now I wish there was room in the budget for Surface. Love that the cover is a multitouch keyboard.

securitybreach

I was watching the C|Net live blog too as well as following Twitter. Until seeing Surface, I had no interest in tablets but now I wish there was room in the budget for Surface. Love that the cover is a multitouch keyboard.

Well you have months to save up for it but yeah, the tablet is really nice. I personally would not buy one as it will be completely locked down but I have to admit that I love the design and especially the covers/keyboards. :thumbup:

Yep, a slick Apple-like design that is also uniquely Microsoft. Did I read correctly that the casing is magnesium?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yep. I haven't been able to confirm or deny it, but it would appear that it's the same material as the LG EnV Touch case. I was trying to find out what it was. But it sounds like the same type of thing just black instead of brown. Either that or the LG EnV Touch was some other sort of carbide mix.

It is called VaperMG ™ (pronounced vaper mag) and reportedly developed by Microsoft.

>_< calling anything in the computer industry 'vaper' is not a good thing.
  • Like 1

>_

People were quick to say the same thing on Twitter when it was announced. However, the word you are thinking about is spelled vapor or, across the pond, vapour.

People were quick to say the same thing on Twitter when it was announced. However, the word you are thinking about is spelled vapor or, across the pond, vapour.

yeah, but you say it as vapor :-D

V.T. Eric Layton

What do you call it when this guy passes gas?

Darth-Vader.jpg

You guessed it... Darth vapor.

HAHA! I kill me. :hysterical:

securitybreach

What do you call it when this guy passes gas?

Darth-Vader.jpg

You guessed it... Darth vapor.

HAHA! I kill me. :hysterical:

Silly but funny :hysterical:

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft may have started calling it VaporMG, but they didn't start it if you look it up. It's been around since 1948 I think it is. And it is just a process to get magnesium out of ores.

And they called it Vapor Mg as well. mg for magnesium btw.

Which one is that?

Adam

Dashed if I can remember. Backups do seem topical at the moment so maybe it is just me mixing things up a bit :zorro:

Guest LilBambi

FAQ: What we don't know about Microsoft's Surface tablet

If the saying 'What you don't know can kill you' is true, how much danger are Microsoft and its customers in?

Microsoft's introduction Monday of the new Surface tablet may have been dramatic -- one analyst said it was "radical" -- because of the company's decision to circumvent its hardware partners -- but the presentation left as many questions unanswered as it resolved.

Some are critical to the Surface's success, like its price point, while others may influence only a minority of would-be buyers as they weigh it against those already in the market, such as Apple's iPad, the current king of the tablet hill.

Seems like Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple in odd ways; such as not being clear on full hardware specs. I do not think that is going to go over well with many folks. Particularly how much RAM is in the device so folks could reflect on how many concurrent apps could be running.

This is particularly important for the Windows 8 Pro one. But since they are considering these to be PCs and not tablets, it's all the more important for both.

Edited by LilBambi

Seems like Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple in odd ways; such as not being clear on full hardware specs. I do not think that is going to go over well with many folks. Particularly how much RAM is in the device so folks could reflect on how many concurrent apps could be running.

This is particularly important for the Windows 8 Pro one. But since they are considering these to be PCs and not tablets, it's all the more important for both.

It could be as simple as the hardware specs not being fully finalized yet. ;)

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Could be, but why bother even doing a developer thingy right then? Oh, wait, they wanted to steal the thunder from Apple's WWDC 2012. ;) Of course. :whistling:

True, but I am not sure Microsoft is that coordinated. Otherwise, they would have done it the week immediately following WWDC. ;)

Adam

Guest LilBambi

It's all about the press, the PR.

They still likely think they gained something on Apple by doing it when they did it.

But they, and Apple, need to lighten up and just do good things because they are good things. Not make cracks about the other company or competition. They both need to rise above that type of bait and be the better company.

That's mainly what I meant by what I said. I get tired of politicians and businesses thinking they need to make the other side look bad to make themselves look better.

It's a cheap shot and one that should have gone out of fashion ages ago.

Edited by LilBambi