Mozilla Firefox 0.8 is out + thunderbird 0.5

Keegan

nlinecomputers

What ever happend to the plan to unfork this and bring it back into the mozilla main? This constant name changing is doing serious harm to this project. They would be better served if they'd called it Mozilla Lite or Firezilla or something that has better links to the home project.

Interestingly, WIPO's new software, PCT-SAFE, for electronic filing of PCT International Patent Applications is named "PCT-SAFE (FireBird)".

Guest LilBambi

Downloaded the new Firefox from the FTP site as I was having problems getting to the Mozilla.org site this morning. FTP site worked great.If you are experiencing problems getting to Mozilla.org's http site, would suggest using the FTP site, works great!Point your ftp client to: ftp.mozilla.org in the following directory: /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.8 -- anonymous user and use your email address as your password.Downloaded, installed great, picked up my Firebird Profile right down to my specialized Bookmark Toolbar Folder! :thumbsup:I often prefer not having to use an installer, but this was painless and flawless!Will be great for clients too!

For those who are using 0.8 already, how do your add-ins work with 0.8? I would hate to lose ad-block, MAP or the Google bar even for a short time.BTW:I know it is ten times higher, but 0.8 looks like the legal blood alcohol level in many states.Read the FAQ. I don't like Firefox as a name, either. But I'm pre-disposed to dislike change.

I don't use any of the add ons but the website does say disable all extensions/add ons prior to upgrade and then check to make sure they are explicitly supported in 0.8 before attempting to use them.Guess you'll have to check to see if the extensions you currently use are supported.

Guest LilBambi

LOL! I hear ya littlebone!I do like the new Firefox name ... I really enjoyed the Clint Eastwood movie ... that was one fast jet .. the Firefox! :thumbsup:I would imagine it will be like it was when Phoenix changed to Firebird ... extensions will need to be updated. It will come ... maybe they will fix the problem I had with the RSS reader extension in Firebird 0.7 ... I am hopeful! :devil:

I think most of the extensions will work fine with firefox 0.8. I'm currently using addblock, web developer and tabbrowser extensions without problems.but anyhow look at the extension room, they have already listed extensions with firefox supportlink: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/ps. i think it is a unresolved bug( well probably many ) in the 0.8 branch about installing more than one extension without restarting the browser. So if u want to be brave don't restart between installing extensions:) or if u want to be safe restart!

I downloaded the Windows setup from the FTP site. My first install hung, just wouldn't accept any input. Then I read jodef's comments about turning off extensions in 0.7 first. I would have known this if I could have gotten to the site to read the instructions. But the going to the site just gives me a WSOD in 0.7. Probably too much traffic at the site. The setup program doesn't indicate that one should turn off extensions if one is running 0.7. Thinking I had a bad install, I un-installed 0.8. Then I saw jodef's advice, culled from the mozilla site.So, I turned off all the extensions and loaded 0.8 again This time my home pages loaded. I started to add the extensions back in. FF died after I did the first one, the status bar clock. OK, not critical. Go back to 0.7 turn it off. Next up: MAB (the Amazon browser). Oops, 0.8 hung again. Not a good sign. Go back to 0.7, try the next: AdBlock. Works OK. Try to go to extensions page: that's when it came up "Not Found". So if there are new extensions, how would I know?I just figure I'lll wait a few days for the kinks to shake out of the system. I like Firebird, but I have to say: they do a disservice by promoting plug-in options and then not having at least a semblance of a standard for writing them that would allow the plug-ins to work across releases. I know that 0.8 means I'm in a hard-hat area, but there must have been a 0.1, a 0.2, ... through 0.7. Didn't they think to standardize anything during eight releases?

Guest LilBambi

I think because we all love Firebird and it is so stable, we tend to forget it is still in development despite it's stability.Things will get better as they firm things up. :devil:

Littlebone,The problem isn't a stabilization issue. The underlying code is very stable, but it's little quirks here and there that fix some things, but break others (until they're updated). Sometimes it's as simple as changing one word in one line of code that can break every extension. This could possibly be the case on up to 1.0, and even past that point. This is one of the problems with allowing 3rd party extensions. It's not Mozilla's fault that the extensions don't work, it's the fault of the extension developers for not keeping their product updated. Once things settle down in the next day or so, you should be able to update your extensions and all will work just fine. It's been quite a while since the 0.7 release, and a lot of stuff has changed since then. :)Patience my friend. :devil:

nlinecomputers

It one of the reasons I tend to stick with Mozilla. I love the speed of firebird, ur, firefox, but I've never cared for the interface or some little quirks that never seem to go away like not getting along with winblinds.

Littlebone,The problem isn't a stabilization issue.  The underlying code is very stable, but it's little quirks here and there that fix some things, but break others (until they're updated).  Sometimes it's as simple as changing one word in one line of code that can break every extension.  This could possibly be the case on up to 1.0, and even past that point.  This is one of the problems with allowing 3rd party extensions.  It's not Mozilla's fault that the extensions don't work, it's the fault of the extension developers for not keeping their product updated.  Once things settle down in the next day or so, you should be able to update your extensions and all will work just fine.  It's been quite a while since the 0.7 release, and a lot of stuff has changed since then. :)Patience my friend.  :)
Ryan:I was not giving up on Firefox, just saying (whining, I guess was more like it) that I had to wait because some add-ins that I use don't work and the site is either down or too busy for me to find out if there are replacements. But I still maintain that if a program is going to allow add-ins then they should have developed an interface that was extensible as features were added. If not in version 0.1, then...

I must say that the ftp download and installation went flawlessly. All my bookmarks and 2 extensions (RSS feed and Click to show Flash) were transferred over and work fine. Even my customized taskbar kept it's settings from Firebird, except that for some reason it kept my "reload" button, but lost my back and forward buttons. (?) They're not even listed in the "customize" menu.One major complaint/curiousity...no scroll bar. I can wheel scroll pages, but there's no scrollbar on the right side of the browser. If this isn't fixable, I may stay with Firebird until it is, as I use the scrollbar frequently.

Jeber... try to find an updated version of your theme... The B/f buttons and the scrollbar were changed somewhere along the way, which is why they're broken in your version.

I tried a new extension today, and I think its worth a try. Smoothweel; it does what it claims, it smooths the scrolling with a mouse wheel very nicely. Definitely not a "must have" for usability, but I enjoy it, maybe give it a try! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been following the FireX?X?X forum lately and see the name change. :blink: Can I install FireFox over the top of Firebird w/o and keep my settings? Do I even need to? Is it any better of just the name change? And, finally, can I keep my extentions working?