Cursor jumping around after using post editor features

Neil P

This is a strange bug that I'm not sure is real or in my head. It seems to me that when you click on one of the buttons, say the bold button, and then start typing, hitting the backspace key causes the cursor to jump to unexpected locations.

It also happens when using the shortcuts, for example hitting Ctrl+I to italicize, typing a few letters and then hitting backspace. The cursor always jumps to where I started italicizing.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Press a post editor button, say the "B" for bold

2. Begin typing

3. Press the backspace key

Expected outcome:

The previous character entered will be deleted

Actual outcome:

The cursor jumps back to where the bolding was initiated.

This may be a "feature" of IPB, as it seems to always jump to the beginning of the bolding (or whatever button was used). However, it's completely counter-intuitive to me, so I wonder if it is actually a bug.

V.T. Eric Layton

Testing...

Testing....

testing...again...

Nope. Can't duplicate in FF, Neil. :(

Clear your corrupted cache. :)

I cleared my cache and restarted Chrome. I still see it. Maybe it's a chrome/webkit bug? I have some other browsers installed, I will test it out.

This is a Safari Test (5.1.7; 7534.57.2). I hit ctrl+b.

Works as expected. (I'll just edit this post instead of posting a new one every time!)

=====

This is an Opera Test (11.64 Build 1403). I hit ctrl+b. Opening the tag and hitting backspace worked, but hitting Ctrl+B again moves the cursor to the beginning of the document, backspace not necessary.

=====

This is a Chrome Canary Test (21.0.1167.0 canary). I hit ctrl+b. Unsurprisingly, it acts the same as my chrome dev version (21.0.1163.0 dev-m) does (i.e., the "bug" happens)

=====

This is a Firefox (13) Test. I hit ctrl+b. Works as expected.

=====

This is an Aurora (Firefox 14a2) Test. I hit ctrl+b. Works as expected.

=====

This is an Internet Explorer (9.0.8112.16421) Test. I hit ctrl+b. Works as expected

So in summary, Chrome exhibits the bug for me (I'm using the dev version of Chrome), and I've seen it on all my systems (including in Ubuntu where I use Chromium). It doesn't affect Safari, so it seems to be a Chrome bug and not a WebKit bug. Firefox and Internet Explorer both work as expected (no bug). Opera works with the backspace key, but toggling off moves the cursor to the beginning of the document.

I did a little searching and found this InvisionPower community post, which led to this CKEditor bug, which led to this Webkit/Chrome bug (from 2007!!). It's Chrome only, it seems. And also looks fixed (or worked around?) in CKEditor, which according to the IP post, is what IPB uses. So maybe since it was fixed upstream, an IPB update will (eventually) fix it?