Linux on the Desktop

Peachy

Quint:Try: < su >< urpmi wine > and see what happens ! ( miracles B) ) ;)  Bruno
Amazing! :D Am I the only person that doesn't know these things? ;) My gosh, all the steps I was going to take to get to the same result...learning is a wonderful thing; thanks, Bruno. B)

Am I the only person that doesn't know these things?
No, Quint there are billions !Did you notice how easy it was ? And them they still dare to say that Windows-software is easy to install :D B) ;) B) Bruno

Several new distros have been written for desktop use rather than servers. A huge list can be found at DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com). I've been running Lycoris for over a year and like it much on a 64Mb Laptop. I use Open Office, KMail and Mozilla as chief applications. VNC works perfect too. Lycoris has issues but is one of the new bread of slimmed-down Linux desktops. Online community support is superb. You can d/l for free but are expected to pay about $30 for a license. I'm also running a copy of JAMD on a home workstation. JAMD is a takeoff of RedHat 8.0 that fits on one CD disc. Again they have good online support and here I am using Evolution (free Outlook clone) as my email client. This distro is more up to date and free. Other desktops distros abound but most are not free. Xandos is one getting good reviews.DistroWatchDistroWatch

Several new distros have been written for desktop use rather than servers. A huge list can be found at DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com). I've been running Lycoris for over a year and like it much on a 64Mb Laptop. I use Open Office, KMail and Mozilla as chief applications. VNC works perfect too. Lycoris has issues but is one of the new bread of slimmed-down Linux desktops. Online community support is superb. You can d/l for free but are expected to pay about $30 for a license. I'm also running a copy of JAMD on a home workstation. JAMD is a takeoff of RedHat 8.0 that fits on one CD disc. Again they have good online support and here I am using Evolution (free Outlook clone) as my email client. This distro is more up to date and free. Other desktops distros abound but most are not free. Xandos is one getting good reviews.DistroWatchDistroWatch
Welcome...and thanks for the great link. :huh:

Guest LilBambi
Quint:Try: and see what happens ! ( miracles :D ) :D  Bruno
Amazing! :D Am I the only person that doesn't know these things? :huh: My gosh, all the steps I was going to take to get to the same result...learning is a wonderful thing; thanks, Bruno. :D
Great tip Bruno!Learning Linix is great fun!Have been able to do auto updates/install packages, etc. anytime over the Internet for a long time in freeBSD through their setup interface, we even upgraded the entire freeBSD from 4.5 to 4.8 this way to take care of the sendmail issues a while back. But it seems as though, for some reason, except for Debian (and maybe a few others that started out bigger in the UK and Asia, etc.) urpmi and other auto updaters really hadn't take off as well until recently.So glad they are doing so much of it now in all the Distros. Sure makes life easier. Now if they could just get broadband out here in the sticks! :huh: DistroWatch is a good one. I think Thunder even mentioned it a few weeks ago in another Topic. It is a good place to get all kinds of info. :D

Now if they could just get broadband out here in the sticks!  :D
Fran:This is alarming, you´re not on dial-up are you ?? :D :D :D Bruno

Guest LilBambi
Now if they could just get broadband out here in the sticks!  :D
Fran:This is alarming, you´re not on dial-up are you ?? :D :D :D Bruno
Bruno --Alas this is all too true! Wish that it were not true, but it is. They do not have any Cable/DSL in the area.They have it 6 miles down the road in from Charter Communications in one direction, and a little less than that from Cox Communications from the other direction, but neither has any plans to bring it out here to our little town. Not cost effective at this point, nor for the foreseeable future.Satellite is too expensive, plus the last time I looked (less than a month ago), they are still requiring you use their Windows software for connection. GAK!That only leaves dialup and T1 availability through Verizon. And when I talked to a Verizon tech when he was at our 'Central Office' (which is well within the required distance for DSL by the way), they said, there's nothing wrong with 56k dialup, that's good speed for this area. And sure, if you want to call the main office in Georgia, they would be willing to sell you a T1 if you really want it. Last I heard though, a T1 was way too expensive for us.Oh, well, dialup it is, and dialup it will probably stay, at least till they come up with some 'rural' broadband answer for this area.Sigh..... :D

Fran:You poor woman, how do you manage ? I hope they bill you a flat rate and not charge you per minute. Suppose you hardly ever download an iso. Business must have a hard time surviving in those conditions. Have any nails left from biting them, waiting for an important large attachment comming in ?I´m speechless . . . :D Bruno

Now if they could just get broadband out here in the sticks!  :rolleyes:
Fran:This is alarming, you´re not on dial-up are you ?? :o :o B) Bruno
Bruno --Alas this is all too true! Wish that it were not true, but it is. They do not have any Cable/DSL in the area.They have it 6 miles down the road in from Charter Communications in one direction, and a little less than that from Cox Communications from the other direction, but neither has any plans to bring it out here to our little town. Not cost effective at this point, nor for the foreseeable future.Satellite is too expensive, plus the last time I looked (less than a month ago), they are still requiring you use their Windows software for connection. GAK!That only leaves dialup and T1 availability through Verizon. And when I talked to a Verizon tech when he was at our 'Central Office' (which is well within the required distance for DSL by the way), they said, there's nothing wrong with 56k dialup, that's good speed for this area. And sure, if you want to call the main office in Georgia, they would be willing to sell you a T1 if you really want it. Last I heard though, a T1 was way too expensive for us.Oh, well, dialup it is, and dialup it will probably stay, at least till they come up with some 'rural' broadband answer for this area.Sigh..... :unsure:
A little while back, heard Leo LaPorte say that a new technology in broadband was about to surface, which would enable everyone to have it's advantages; hang in there, Fran. ;)

Guest LilBambi

quint --I heard Leo on that too ... keeping my ears open on that one! :rolleyes: Bruno --The broadband thing is a real pain in the neck to be sure, but...We live 'in town' in a tiny town - less than 400 people, and have chickens/rooster and potbelly pigs at our neighbor's home across the street, and the neighbors behind us have a pasture with two horses and a pony that we hear when we wake up in the morning. It is a wonderfully quiet little town and our neighbors are great.There is hardly any light pollution so we can see the stars well at night which we love to do (even have a telescope). And it feels like an evening in the Blue Ridge Mountains when we sit out under the stars in the evening.We can watch our fruit trees (red delicious apples, peaches, and pears....all covered in baby fruit right now) grow, as well as our old style azaleas (large bloom), mimosa, and a couple of decorative flowering trees (crab apple and cherry blossom), forsythia, and pussy willow, Tea Rose and Joseph's coat rose bushes, irises and other flowers and shrubbery. Great place to kick back on a nice evening and watch the stars and the rabbits hopping around in the moonlight.Truthfully, our only regret is the broadband.

Fran,If you put it that way:There is always a light and a ´dark side of the moon´ ( I saw in the ´acoustic´ thread you were a Pink Floyd Fan :unsure: ):rolleyes: Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Good one Bruno! BTW: "Dark Side of the Moon" is my favorite Pink Floyd of all time!Did you know that that album went Gold about a month after it was released! (released: March 1973 - Gold: April 17, 1973). It was still on the Billboard pop charts in 1986 after selling more than 10 million copies! And folks our age are not the only ones who still listen to it.We have the original album version that we have committed to digital for our own personal music library so we wouldn't have to further degrade the album by playing it. :rolleyes:

Good woman Fran ! There is a REAL fan !I saw them fist live here in Amsterdam in -68 (?) when ummagumma was released ( magical double album ! ) And again about 10 years ago with 100.000 others in the concert with the flying pig ( ? ), took my 3 daughters to the concert, they are still talking about it !:rolleyes: Bruno

Prelude76

Fran,i wonder what would be involved in getting a T1 line, hooking up your neighbors, and making them all pay you $25 a month?just proposing business venture. dont know the first thing about cabling or fibreoptics though. :D

Guest LilBambi
Fran,i wonder what would be involved in getting a T1 line, hooking up your neighbors, and making them all pay you $25 a month?just proposing business venture.  dont know the first thing about cabling or fibreoptics though. :)
Prelude76 --Yep, we've been wanting to do that since wireless has become a real option for communities. We have been looking into communities that have done it. We would love create a wireless network for our neighbors here to provide Internet access inexpensively to our community. Especially since none of the broadband providers will do anything for us here in our little town. The main reason they won't do it is that this is a depressed area and they see little profit in the expenditure. But it would be great if we could provide it either free or for some low monthly payment that would help us maintain the network and over time pay for the equipment needed.We know how to do it, we just don't have the money to put into it right now. But we refuse to let go of the idea ... somehow we would love to do it for our little town, many of which are currently dealing with nuisance ISPs like the free Juno and their obnoxious ads on phone lines that are antiquated. We don't use Juno (we are currently using Pop4.net since it is a good value and we know the folks who run it), but many here in our little town do use the free version of Juno.

nlinecomputers

Fran,

We know how to do it, we just don't have the money to put into it right now.
Have you looked at selling shares and starting a CO-OP? I live in West Texas and alot of the rural surrounding areas have CO-OP phones and power companies. Why not broadband too?

Guest LilBambi

Hadn't really looked at that side of things.Was really hoping at some point to get something going though. I would help out this area quite a bit ... we shall see B)