Puppy Linux based on Slackware

Go2linux

I think you can still get the Ubuntu Lucid based version of Puppy if you want it. They are working on a Precise version but it's in the early stages.

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting. I always thought Puppy was an original GNU/Linux. It was not a fork of any previous distribution (see this GNU/Linux time line - a large graphic). You'll see that Puppy has no ancestry upline. Dmitry (DarkDuck) is a smart fellow who knows his stuff. I'm not questioning what he's saying in that post; it just makes me wonder.

From Wikipedia:

Puppy 1 series will run comfortably on very dated hardware, such as a Pentium computer with at least 32 MB RAM. For newer systems, the USB keydrive version might be better (although if USB device booting is not directly supported in the BIOS, the Puppy floppy boot disk can be used to kick-start it). It is possible to run Puppy Linux with Windows 9x/Windows Me. It is also possible, if the BIOS does not support booting from USB drive, to boot from the CD and keep user state on a USB keydrive; this will be saved on shutdown and read from the USB device on bootup.[23]

Puppy 2 uses the Mozilla-based SeaMonkey as its Internet suite (primarily a web browser and e-mail client).

Puppy 3 features Slackware 12 compatibility.[24] This is accomplished by the inclusion of almost all the dependencies needed for the installation of Slackware packages. However, Puppy Linux is not a Slackware-based distribution.[25]

Puppy 4 is built from scratch using the T2 SDE [26] and no longer features native Slackware 12 compatibility[27] in order to reduce the size and include newer package versions than that found in 3. To compensate for this, an optional "compatibility collection" of packages was created that restores some of the lost compatibility.[27]

• Puppy 4.2 features changes to the user interface and backend, upgraded packages, language and character support, new in-house software and optimizations, while still keeping the ISO image size under 100 MB.[28]

Puppy 5 is based on a project called Woof[29] which is designed to assemble a Puppy Linux distribution from the packages of other Linux distributions. Woof includes some binaries and software derived from Ubuntu,Debian, Slackware, T2 SDE, or Arch repositories. Puppy 5 came with a stripped down version of the Midoribrowser to be used for reading help files and a choice of web browsers to be installed, including Chromium,Firefox, SeaMonkey Internet Suite, Iron and Opera.[30][31]

It seems they change with every new release.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Puppy_linux

Edited by Go2linux

abarbarian

Slacko had a mention or two before christmas. I'm sure I burnt it to cd but can not remember if I managed to play with it. I like puppies. :hug:

Slacko 5.3.3

Edited by abarbarian

I think that Woof allows a developer or the community to build a Puppy distro based on Slackware, Ubuntu or whatever. There is also a version called Wary Puppy which is based on the original - although built using Woof - and designed for older hardware. It's an interesting distro family.

securitybreach

That is the one thanks. Fixed the original link.

How is the multi monitor quest going ? Or should I not ask ? :breakfast:

Well I still do not have the fourth monitor running as the second video card shows up as unknown in the Catalyst CC but I have my setup like before, just with fourth monitor blank. :thumbsdown:

For those that do not know, I had to do a complete reinstall of Archlinux since I borked my setup hence why I was out of commission for a while.

I may try again today as I took a day off since I was canoeing yesterday.

B)

BTW the setup worked fine in windows so I know it is possible.......

For those that do not know, I had to do a complete reinstall of Archlinux since I borked my setup hence why I was out of commission for a while.

Ah, Eric's "big hammer" approach works again.

V.T. Eric Layton

A distribution being "compatible" with other distributions certainly does not mean that it is based on those distributions. I do believe that Puppy's codeset is original. It is not a fork of any other distribution. That wikipedia post that Guillermo posted above seems to confirm this for me.

abarbarian

Well I still do not have the fourth monitor running as the second video card shows up as unknown in the Catalyst CC but I have my setup like before, just with fourth monitor blank. :thumbsdown:

I may try again today as I took a day off since I was canoeing yesterday.

B)

BTW the setup worked fine in windows so I know it is possible.......

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?70909-non-smooth-window-movement-on-gnome-3-and-Unity/page2

There is some info about 4 monitors from post 16 onwards. Don't know if it will make sense to you.

http://linuxowns.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/5-monitors.html

This is the entire post from the link.

up... That's right, I now have 5 monitors. The setup was easy, just had to fix 1 thing, and that was to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add additional space to my virtual desktop size.

*the 5th monitor IS OVERKILL, but it looks so cool. (worth it)

Once again good luck with the hunt. :fish:

V.T. Eric Layton

Not the correct thread for discussion of Josh's multiple monitor issues. It makes it difficult to find information later on down the road if we don't keep on topic at least a little bit. I believe Josh has a thread for this started here somewhere already.

Thank you for you understanding in this matter. Further violations of topic drift will result in suspension of your FREE Pizza Fridays for a period of one month. You've been warned.