Is Google+ a Ghost Town, and Does It Matter?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

By Caroline Winter on May 16, 2012

Google+ is a lonely place. At least according to a new study that paints the social networking site as a virtual tumbleweed town.

Using information culled from the public timelines of 40,000 randomly selected members, data analysis firm RJMetrics found that the Google+ population, which currently numbers 170 million, is largely disengaged, with user activity rapidly decaying—at least when it comes to public posts.

Read the rest of the article at --> http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-16/is-google-plus-a-ghost-town-and-does-it-matter

securitybreach

Sorry but the author is completely full of it. This is just more FUD and nothing else.

Believe me, I am on google+ daily and there is a huge amount of posts and such. There is nothing dwindling, if anything it is growing at an insane rate.

BTW Anytime I post anything, I get dozens of replies so I do not know where they got their data from. Maybe they are employees of Facebook or something.

anectdotes do not disprove statistics. For the question that was asked, the statistical study cited in the article is probably true. But as the article itself points out, the question being asked may not be one that Google or it's users care about.

Anecdotes are what create the spin, though. ;)

That is the most true statement in this entire discussion! :lol:

Adam

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

How is traffic at G+ these days? I closed my accounts forever-ago, it seems.

Busy!!! I post stuff all the time

Guest LilBambi

By Caroline Winter on May 16, 2012

Google+ is a lonely place. At least according to a new study that paints the social networking site as a virtual tumbleweed town.

Using information culled from the public timelines of 40,000 randomly selected members, data analysis firm RJMetrics found that the Google+ population, which currently numbers 170 million, is largely disengaged, with user activity rapidly decaying—at least when it comes to public posts.

Read the rest of the article at --> http://www.businessw...-does-it-matter

Maybe they don't have enough entertaining friends?

NOTE: This from someone who doesn't use G+, OK? ;)

Edited by LilBambi

How about this for an anecdote?

If Larry Page can't be bothered to support his company's product why should anyone else?

Note: I stopped using G+ ages ago too.

securitybreach

Maybe they don't have enough entertaining friends?

NOTE: This from someone who doesn't use G+, OK? ;)

Actually this is because people figured out what the whole Circle thing meant. Most users do not post Public threads as they already have their circles populated with users. For instance if you post something Linux related, you usually just post it to your Linux circle instead of posting it as Public. This way users only see information that interests them. Trust me there are tons of people posting valuable things on Google+, the difference is they are not just posting everything to one stream like facebook:

d136cf197849646.jpg

On Google+. I can easily search for a topic and meet others who share my interests and are on my "level". I am able to have long, detailed conversations in threads as well as in Hangouts, and I'm constantly amazed at how intelligent everyone is when I compare them to the average population on Facebook (not trying to offend anyone who uses FB but this is my opinion).

Facebook is fine for looking up a birthday or seeing what old friends are doing every once in a while, but if you want to learn things, share interests, or meet new users, Google+ is the absolute best social network on the Internet I have found. I enjoy twitter and various diasp pods but to me it is easier to interact with new and interesting people on Google+.

I know I sound like a fan boy but I do realize the risks with social networking and do not provide any real information on them. It is what it is but I think that I get more from using Google+ than I did previously with any other social network.

Guest LilBambi

Circles is an emulation -- albeit tailored a bit more* -- of Aspects over at Diaspora by the way. And of course Diaspora did it first.

* as well as having more developers with apparently more open minds in regard to design, maybe?

FWIW,

Facebook has introduced Circles-esque functionality as well. It is available, but not many use it, I think. I have work, Home, etc. lists set up, and sometimes I post something that only people at work would be interested in.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

That's true, Fran, about Diaspora. :yes: Speaking of which, I haven't logged in there for quite some time. :(

Guest LilBambi

I have every week, but I am also trying out a new one that Pistos started called LiberTree. Let me or Josh know if you would like an invite. NOTE: It is alpha and in flux but really cool.

Edited by LilBambi